Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Importing my ITR from Canada to US: How it happened

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Importing my ITR from Canada to US: How it happened

This is a potential thread that I want to make, I'm relatively close to buying an ITR from Canada. I won't be naming any specific people or companies, such as the seller or the shipping company, because this thread will be about the process of importing an ITR from Canada to the US. So future people can reference it when they might be in a similar situation, and see how it happened.

This will involve everything from beginning to getting delivery of the ITR and getting it registered and insured here in Cali.

Hopefully this will also be a place where others will share knowledge/experience they have with importing ITR's or other cars from Canada.

I'm starting this now, before actually buying the car, so I can put down the details as they happen, otherwise I'd forget a lot if I did it from memory later on.

Of course, if for some reason I don't end up buying the car, then I'll just delete this thread haha.

================================================

Here we go!

For now, I just talked to the shipping guy that the seller recommended. He said shipping will be about $1500-2000 to ship to California where I live. Plus a brokerage fee that happens at the border for about $350. The seller said he doesn't know of any available brokers right now (they aren't taking new customers??), so that will be one thing to figure out. I'm hoping this shipping guy will be able to provide the most full service door-to-door shipping that I can get, without myself having to figure out the details too much.
Old 03-20-2016, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Importing my ITR from Canada to US: How it happened

I'll be watching this thread closely, I'm on the fence for doing the reverse…importing a black itr from the US into Canada, if I find something worthwhile …our dollar is weak right now, see what happens in the next month or so…

Best of luck!
Old 03-20-2016, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

We made a deal! It begins!
Old 03-20-2016, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Colman787
I'll be watching this thread closely, I'm on the fence for doing the reverse…importing a black itr from the US into Canada, if I find something worthwhile …our dollar is weak right now, see what happens in the next month or so…

Best of luck!
Thx man, good luck to you too. Sometimes the good ones are far away.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish you luck. I met the owner of the Alberta Type R owner last year . First time meeting up in person and he let me drive his 997 GT3. He is a true car nut and a great guy. I wouldn't hesitate to buy his car. He is a long time member of Revscene.net which is a car forum based in BC Canada.

I will add some info here for you from my side since I am in Canada and just sold my 97 Porsche 911 C4S to a buyer from Oregon on Friday. My buyer flew up here to Victoria BC Canada and drove it back home.

I took the buyer to an insurance broker to purchase a temporary operating permit to drive the car home. You can choose the amount of days you need.

A note that if you do drive it yourself over a land crossing you can only import on Monday - Friday 9am - 5pm.

Duty is $30 USD on the first $1000 and 2.5% after that on the purchase price. Customs will want to see the bill of sale and may also call the seller to confirm the purchase price. Customs called me (the seller) to confirm the sale price.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Fantastic info, thank you. My plan is to ship it, but if driving it back becomes the best option then this is good to know.

Originally Posted by touringteg
I wish you luck. I met the owner of the Alberta Type R owner last year . First time meeting up in person and he let me drive his 997 GT3. He is a true car nut and a great guy. I wouldn't hesitate to buy his car. He is a long time member of Revscene.net which is a car forum based in BC Canada.

I will add some info here for you from my side since I am in Canada and just sold my 97 Porsche 911 C4S to a buyer from Oregon on Friday. My buyer flew up here to Victoria BC Canada and drove it back home.

I took the buyer to an insurance broker to purchase a temporary operating permit to drive the car home. You can choose the amount of days you need.

A note that if you do drive it yourself over a land crossing you can only import on Monday - Friday 9am - 5pm.

Duty is $30 USD on the first $1000 and 2.5% after that on the purchase price. Customs will want to see the bill of sale and may also call the seller to confirm the purchase price. Customs called me (the seller) to confirm the sale price.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You're welcome. It was a good learning experience having a US buyer.

As a side note the Canadian government makes it more difficult for Canadians to import from the USA. We have to fax a copy of the title and a completed checklist to the border crossing you are using 72 hrs (3 business days) in advance. I confirmed a US importing can just show up at the border. Canadians also have to pay 6.1% duty
Old 03-20-2016, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Whatever you think it will cost to import and ship it. Plan on spending a few hundreds if not thousands more. Hopefully you got a good deal.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Jesus Ian, you've been on HT since 2002? lol
Old 03-20-2016, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^ Ya my first car was a 1990 Integra LS that I had from 99 to 2002. Yes I am old :D
Old 03-21-2016, 12:21 AM
99-0104

i am also in process to buy a R from Canada and already have the ball rolling on the proper paperwork to import it legally it is not really hard to do but it does take a little time i should have my compliance letter from American Honda in the next week and i will be driving up there to tow it home

from the information i have read driving it across the boarder is different then transporting it but i never read what the differences were since i am bringing it across myself

here is some of the best information i have found on the web

Importing from Canada ? ezbordercrossing.com
Old 03-21-2016, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I know you have already stated you want to keep on topic for process of importing from CA to USA, but would love to see a separate thread once you receive the car. Good luck and hope everything goes smooth.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DrulzR
Whatever you think it will cost to import and ship it. Plan on spending a few hundreds if not thousands more. Hopefully you got a good deal.
Yep, good point. That's why I started this thread, to see how estimated versus actual costs match up.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Stripped Honda
i am also in process to buy a R from Canada and already have the ball rolling on the proper paperwork to import it legally it is not really hard to do but it does take a little time i should have my compliance letter from American Honda in the next week and i will be driving up there to tow it home

from the information i have read driving it across the boarder is different then transporting it but i never read what the differences were since i am bringing it across myself

here is some of the best information i have found on the web

Importing from Canada ? ezbordercrossing.com
Awesome link! Thx.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Seedc2
I know you have already stated you want to keep on topic for process of importing from CA to USA, but would love to see a separate thread once you receive the car. Good luck and hope everything goes smooth.
Ok good idea, will consider.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

In process of wiring the money to Canada.

Just talked to the shipper again. He says the first thing we need to do is find a broker. So he's going to look into it and get back to me.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Getting in touch with my insurance company. I'm assuming there won't be any issue with insuring this ITR.

Edit: They said no problemo.

Last edited by dave7; 03-21-2016 at 11:40 AM.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dave7
Getting in touch with my insurance company. I'm assuming there won't be any issue with insuring this ITR.

Edit: They said no problemo.
Mind sharing what insurance co you are using? No worries if not but might help others that may get denied by other providers.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RTW DC2R
Mind sharing what insurance co you are using? No worries if not but might help others that may get denied by other providers.
Sure. I'm using Statefarm. Once my policy is officially underway I'll confirm. My agent seemed to be pretty confident, but ya never know. It was just a quote for now.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 275 Likes on 263 Posts

Id like to see this once all is said and done and its got CA plates! Should be a great feeling once it comes in on the tow truck deff a moment id like to see when you share that moment in this thread! and iv always thought about getting myself a ITR from Canada but never really looked into the actual process.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Howcome we park on driveways, and drive on parkways?

Good luck. In for details
Old 03-22-2016, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Perfect.. I'm also in the market for an ITR in the near future and have been dibbling into Canadian cars as well. Subscribed!
Old 03-22-2016, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr
Id like to see this once all is said and done and its got CA plates! Should be a great feeling once it comes in on the tow truck deff a moment id like to see when you share that moment in this thread! and iv always thought about getting myself a ITR from Canada but never really looked into the actual process.
Yes I'll definitely share pics of the delivery! It will be a great day.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Seller sent me bill of sale to sign. Signed it and sent back to him. I think Canada is more strict with bills of sales. Or at least with sales to US.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wiring money to Canada internationally apparently takes 2-3 days, instead of the standard 1 day for domestic wires. It seems to me that a wire is the best way to pay in this situation. So my wire has been approved, but is now processing for "2-3 days."

Quick Reply: Importing my ITR from Canada to US: How it happened