Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

how come my R waterpump is smaller than gsr waterpump ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how come my R waterpump is smaller than gsr waterpump ??

the waterpump on my R engine has been replaced like a year ago , but my mechanic found out its leaking from breather < the engine is stripped to be rebuilt for stronger internals >

therefore i ordered a new one , and i compared it with the waterpump off my '93 jdm b18c ( non-type R ) , and the rotor < is that what u called it ? > on the R is smaller than the GSR

please i need help ASAP , on the invoice for the R waterpump it says its for honda CRV, WTF !!!

Old 10-26-2004, 09:58 PM

Default Re: how come my R waterpump is smaller than gsr waterpump ?? (Day Walker)

left is the waterpump off my 1993 GSR engine , right off my JDM 97 ITR engine
Old 10-26-2004, 10:02 PM

Hype R y0!

m4d lyt3 **** y0!
Old 10-26-2004, 10:05 PM

Default Re: (opie)

hey seriously i need help here

it just confuses me why R engine uses a smaller size waterpump not forget to mention it also cheaper than the GSR pump

is R waterpump supposed to be = gsr waterpump ?
Old 10-26-2004, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Day Walker)

gsr, itr used the p72 water pump. 22T.

from your pic the one on the left looks to be the correct one.

Old 10-26-2004, 10:33 PM

Default Re: (db8sirg)

ok so what happens if i use the one on the right ???
because thats the one off my ITR , and my mechanic told me to replace it altho its only been used for like a year !
Old 10-26-2004, 10:34 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Day Walker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey seriously i need help here

it just confuses me why R engine uses a smaller size waterpump not forget to mention it also cheaper than the GSR pump

is R waterpump supposed to be = gsr waterpump ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

b16, and b18c use the same pump...check it with honda/acura dealerships...i made sure they were before i bought it. maybe they changed over the years?

that woudl be my only guess. good luck...and if you dont believe me check those part numbers. also, the oil pumps are are identicle. (b16/b18c)
Old 10-26-2004, 10:56 PM

Default Re: (db8sirg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by db8sirg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">gsr, itr used the p72 water pump. 22T.

from your pic the one on the left looks to be the correct one.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

u r correct sir , the one on the right says 22T on the waterpump , but the one on the left &lt;off my R&gt; doesnt say that

looks like my other mechanic who changed the waterpump put the wrong damn ****** waterpump then , stupid ***
Old 10-27-2004, 12:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the one one the right should be 19 teeth. it is for a ls motor.
i had this problem before. if he used the ls waterpump with the type r/gsr timing
belt, it throws the timing off(advances the intake cam) and leaves the belt really loose. very dangerous for the motor. but if he used the ls waterpump with ls belt, it works fine, they are just the wrong parts.
Old 10-27-2004, 07:04 AM

Default Re: (rathead)

dude, mine is for sale. this came off from a 97 jdm ITR motor. 25k miles on it. good condition. $15 shipped to you!! let me know. i accept paypal and money orders

Old 10-28-2004, 03:49 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rathead &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the one one the right should be 19 teeth. it is for a ls motor.
i had this problem before. if he used the ls waterpump with the type r/gsr timing
belt, it throws the timing off(advances the intake cam) and leaves the belt really loose. very dangerous for the motor. but if he used the ls waterpump with ls belt, it works fine, they are just the wrong parts.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i told my mechanic again today , that the one with 22 teeth is the correct ones , but he insists that the one with 19 teeth is the one , the cam belt isnt loose

what does a motor with the timing off feels like ???
Old 10-28-2004, 05:07 AM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Day Walker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

what does a motor with the timing off feels like ???</TD></TR></TABLE>

Usually slower than it should be..

looks to me that u either got the wrong part installed or its an aftermarket part and thats why it looks different too.. unless you said you wanted OE honda parts used then its usually cheaper to go w/ aftermarket parts when your a mechanic
Old 10-28-2004, 06:03 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Day Walker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i told my mechanic again today , that the one with 22 teeth is the correct ones , but he insists that the one with 19 teeth is the one , the cam belt isnt loose

no, your mechanic is wrong. ask any itr owner here, and theyll tell you that you need the 22 teeth water pump. 3 teeth is a lot and it will definitely throw your timing off big time.. wayyyyy off..

so unless you want to mess up your $4000+ motor rather than invest $15 on my water pump, the call is yours
Old 10-28-2004, 06:56 AM
In The Garage

i'm all about using the correct stuff, but i'd like to clear a few things up. a smaller waterpump gear (19T) will do absolutely nothing to timing. it will only spin a tad faster than a gear with 22 teeth (22T). as long as the tensioner takes up the slack, then you will have no problems whatsoever. a 22T gear will have less parasitic drag on the motor then a 19T one would, but you would have better cooling with a 19T. the 22T is basically just an underdrive gear for the waterpump.

no flaming please people, as this information is 100% correct

-Shawn
Old 10-28-2004, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ShadyEH2)

i don't know this to be true for sure, but it seems to me that a 19T water pump would spin faster than a 22T pump. it also seems to me that as long as cavitation wasn't occuring, that the faster spinning water pump would move more water, and thus cool better. of course the vanes on the pump would have to move the exact same volume.

if your timing was off 3 teeth, the car wouldn't run. or even worse, valves and pistons would be hittin skins.
Old 10-28-2004, 07:07 AM
Trial User

Default Re: (tnord)

...correct, the problem with using the 19T is the possibility of cavitation at high rpms...

It was also my understanding that the ITR specific water pump had slightly shorter blades on the impeler itself, to further reduce the chance of caviation. Not 100% sure on that one though...
Old 10-28-2004, 07:09 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ShadyEH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'm all about using the correct stuff, but i'd like to clear a few things up. a smaller waterpump gear (19T) will do absolutely nothing to timing. it will only spin a tad faster than a gear with 22 teeth (22T). as long as the tensioner takes up the slack, then you will have no problems whatsoever. a 22T gear will have less parasitic drag on the motor then a 19T one would, but you would have better cooling with a 19T. the 22T is basically just an underdrive gear for the waterpump.

-Shawn</TD></TR></TABLE>

Now that is some good info to know ..... thanks
Old 10-28-2004, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (El Pollo Diablo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by El Pollo Diablo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...correct, the problem with using the 19T is the possibility of cavitation at high rpms...

It was also my understanding that the ITR specific water pump had slightly shorter blades on the impeler itself, to further reduce the chance of caviation. Not 100% sure on that one though...</TD></TR></TABLE>

...which would explain why the lower-revving CRV has fewer teeth than the buzzsaw ITR.
Old 10-28-2004, 10:40 AM

Default Re: (tnord)

at least we all learned something new today
Old 10-28-2004, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

go tell your mechanic to call acura and order the waterpump and t belt for your motor. then have him open it in front of you to see what does it say on th pump.
Old 10-28-2004, 01:49 PM
Darth ModerVader

Default Re: (esponet)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by esponet &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

go tell your mechanic to call acura and order the waterpump and t belt for your motor. then have him open it in front of you to see what does it say on th pump.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Or better yet, get yourself a repair manual, order the parts personally, and DIY.
Old 10-28-2004, 02:25 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ShadyEH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'm all about using the correct stuff, but i'd like to clear a few things up. a smaller waterpump gear (19T) will do absolutely nothing to timing. it will only spin a tad faster than a gear with 22 teeth (22T). as long as the tensioner takes up the slack, then you will have no problems whatsoever. a 22T gear will have less parasitic drag on the motor then a 19T one would, but you would have better cooling with a 19T. the 22T is basically just an underdrive gear for the waterpump.

-Shawn</TD></TR></TABLE>

another way i have seen this explained is that if you have the 19t on there it is gonna spin that much faster, because of the higher revs causing the water to kinda suspend or whatever....causing worse water flow.

also, with the r t-belt/19t pump combo... from my recolection it seemed that we couldnt even get the belt tight.... then realized acura sent me the wrong pump!
Old 10-28-2004, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

-Shawn</TD></TR></TABLE>

i am sorry but you are wrong.
if you use a itr timing belt with a 19 tooth water pump, it will throw off the timing.
and with the timing belt tensioner all the way up, the belt will still have slack!
believe me, i have been there done that.
i had bought a water pump and belt from acura. and by mistake, they gave me a ls waterpump and itr belt. i installed on my own car, not paying attenion, because i trusted my acura parts guy, and i installed them.
now there was a lot of slack with the tensioner all the way up. it was running like that for almost 6 months before i noticed the problem.
the car had no low end power what so ever, i i could not get it, until i rechecked my timing belt. the intake cam was advanced at least a tooth.
Old 10-28-2004, 04:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rathead &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i am sorry but you are wrong.
if you use a itr timing belt with a 19 tooth water pump, it will throw off the timing.
and with the timing belt tensioner all the way up, the belt will still have slack!
believe me, i have been there done that.
i had bought a water pump and belt from acura. and by mistake, they gave me a ls waterpump and itr belt. i installed on my own car, not paying attenion, because i trusted my acura parts guy, and i installed them.
now there was a lot of slack with the tensioner all the way up. it was running like that for almost 6 months before i noticed the problem.
the car had no low end power what so ever, i i could not get it, until i rechecked my timing belt. the intake cam was advanced at least a tooth.</TD></TR></TABLE>

NO YOU ARE WRONG!!!!!!!!!

Water PUMP WILL NOT AFFECT/EFFECT TIMING as long ast the belt gets tight!!!!!!!
cause i have used BOTH on my B20 BahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhTECHK yo.....

WATER PUMP HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH TIMING!!!!

your timing was affected because you were off a tooth on your cam gear....which has nothing to do with your waterpump.....

you got the wrong parts for your car that is why timing was off....please know what you are talkinga bout before you post!!!
Old 10-28-2004, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (chad)

the hype r water pump is smaller for light weight yo!!!

but yes the water pump has nothing to do wid timing. timing is your cams and the pistons/crank, the belt just runs the water pump.

Quick Reply: how come my R waterpump is smaller than gsr waterpump ??