Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Gather round children, it's story time. (long)

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2001, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gather round children, it's story time. (long)

Well, being new on this board, and not knowing anyone I thought I would introduce myself. My name is Travis and I live in Austin Texas. I bought my 2000 FBP ITR (#1272) last March. Thought I got a pretty good deal on it, paid 21k and it had 8500 miles on the odometer. Anyway, my car has been through a lot in it's short life and me being kinda board thought I would post it.

It didnt take me very long to find my car. I hear lots of people talking about how they looked for months or years before they found a used ITR that was up to their standards. I had only looked for about a week on http://www.Autotrader.com and http://www.Classifieds2000.com when I found mine. The car was originally purchased July 2000 in Dallas by the father of a 15 year old kid that just had to have a Type R as his first car. It sat in their garage until January 2001 waiting for the kid to turn 16 and get his driver's license. I was kind of weary about buying the car from this kid because of how old he was and how inexperianced he was at driving. But the price and the mileage were too much to pass up, and the car looked and drove just fine, so I ended up getting it. Everything was great, I was having a wonderful time in my new R. My previous car was a 1991 Toyota MR2 turbo, which felt a little quicker than the R, but was not nearly as stable at high speed, and didnt handle anywhere near as good. After about a month of owning the car I was on my way to a friends house. I put my turn signal on and slowed to a stop to make a left turn. All of a sudden a heard screeching tires and a glance in my rear-view revealed an early 90's accord sliding directly at my back bumper. The guy only hit me doing about 2 or 3 miles per hour. I pulled the e-brake up and went to get out of the car when I saw him back up and take off. I followed him for about half an hour trying to get him to pull over. He kept ignoring me so I called the police, gave them his license plate number, and went home never to hear anything about that guy again. The only reason that it doesnt really bother me is because the only damage to my rear bumper is a small scratch that you wouldnt notiuce unless you were looking for something. So several more incedent free weeks went by until one morning when I was on my way to class. I was sitting at an intersection behind a red Honda Passport. The passport was the first car at the light, and there was about 3 or 4 behind me. All of a sudden the passport's reverse lights come on. I lay on the horn, put my car in reverse, and start edging backwards trying to get people to back up. My efforts to avoid the accident didnt help and she backed into me. So I got out of the car and went up to the window of the passport. The woman was very apologetic and offered her drivers license and insurance without me asking. I called the cops and they came and made a report, yada yada yada my car ends up in the body shop getting a new front end, and I end up in a rental dodge neon. Well, several weeks of neon driving go by, and then I finally get my car back. It looked as good as new, I guess that's what you get when you take it to the dealership though .

On the 4th of July my girlfriend and I were at a friends house who was having a BBQ. She wanted something out of the car so I gave her my keys so she could unlock it. She comes back inside, gives me my keys back, and we proceed to eat. After a while I wander out into the front yard and notice that the passenger door is wide open. I go up to close it and see a dog laying in the back seat. Now if this was just any old dog it wouldnt have mattered, but this dog STUNK. After coaxing him out of the car with some left over BBQ I inspected the back seat. No rips or tears anywhere, it just wreaked. My girlfriend felt responcible for it (I would hope so) and offered for me to leave the car at her house that night so she could clean it. So I drove her car home. The next morning she calls me saying my car wouldnt idle. Hmm, thats strange, so I leave for her house to see what was going on. She was right, it wouldnt idle, but it was also running on two cylinders. The thing sounded like a damn Harley Davidson. I didnt notice that day, but I had left the car in the garage the night before and when I came over that morning it was in the driveway. Anyway, I called a tow truck and had it towed to the dealer to get fixed. It was there for a couple of days when the called me and told me that I had bent valves and that it wouldnt be covered under warranty because it was abused. That sounded absolutly inane to me. I didnt have bent valves when could the valves have bent. I tried to fight it, called Acura America. They said that dealerships are not allowed to turn down warranty claims. So they sent an inspector to the dealership to take a look at my car. He said the same thing that the dealer did, I had bent valves and it was abused. No warranty and $2000 to fix it. I thought that figure sounded a little high, so I had the car towed back to my house while I looked for a cheaper mechanic. The car sat on the side of the road infront of my house for about 3 weeks until I found a shop that quoted me a price I could afford ($800). When the tow truck came to pick the car up to take it to the shop I noticed silver spray paint all over the driver side door handle. Some little **** had spray painted my car! Well, the car went to the shop and they did a compression test on it. They told me that cylinders 1 and 2 wouldnt hold any compression at all and that 3 and 4 were absolutly fine. They did a leak down test after that and confirmed that it was the first two cylinders and that the exhaust valves were bent. So they pulled the head, had new valves put in, and reassembled the engine. They called me and told me that the car would be ready to be picked up the next morning. When I showed up they had the car in the garage and were pulling the head off again. I asked what was going on, apparantly when whoever put the timing belt back on didnt lline it up properly and when they fired it up bent all the valves. So I go home and they fix the car again. When they called the second time to pick it up everything was fine, the car ran just like it did before, so I took it with no complaints.

That night I was out watching some street races. Standing next to a couple buddies of mine next to my car, someone said that they smelled gas and thought it was coming from my car. I popped the hood and saw that the fuel rail was leaking gas out from where the fuel injectors plug in. So I called a tow truck again. The tow company said that since I was leaking gas that I had to get the fire department to say that the carwas safe to be towed. The fire truck left (it scared off all the street racers by the way) and the tow truck showed up, and I was back on the way to the shop that had fixed my car. I left it there, slid the keys under the garage door, and left them a message that said what happened and that I wanted them to fix it. The next morning I went by the shop to see how things were going with the car. It was already finished and they said that when they put the fuel rail back in the head that an o-ring was torn. Oh well, the car hasnt given me any problem since then. Some turtle was rubbing compound took off most of the spray paint, I still need to take in into a detail shop to have the rest removed. That's about it, I just wonder if this thing is cursed and what will go wrong next...
Old 11-07-2001, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Gather round children, it's story time. (Crossett)

BE strong, Travis. Just feel like the worst is behind you.

WTF with your girl beating the R and bending your valves? ...and this AFTER the whole leaving it unlocked/dog incident.

There was a thread way back when "Would you let your wife/girlfriend/significant other drive your ITR?" (my pardon to all the female ITR owners out there) and the overwhelming response was "No F*ing Way!". Something to think about.

Cheers!
Old 11-07-2001, 10:57 AM

Default Re: Gather round children, it's story time. (ITR 98-0652)

I know I will probably catch a lot of **** for saying this, but it is just a car. I love that girl more than anything, and she made a simple mistake. If I lost the R it could be replaced, she couldnt.

BTW, I revmatch everywhere I go. She was trying to do the same from 5th to 4th doing about 100-110 mph and somehow got it to go into 2nd. I saved the bent valves when I get some pictures of them i'll post'em. You wont believe how bent these things are.
Old 11-07-2001, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ouch, what a horror story. You have luck like me .

btw, my gf took the R to work on monday while I had to rent a car(don't ask ), I was sweating bullets all day long!!!
Old 11-07-2001, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I know I will probably catch a lot of **** for saying this, but it is just a car. I love that girl more than anything, and she made a simple mistake. If I lost the R it could be replaced, she couldnt.
Ever see that Castrol commercial?

Did she tell you she mis-shifted before or after she said it wouldn't run?

Cars break, but they don't lie, cheat, or steal.

YMMV.
Old 11-07-2001, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Crossett: Glad to see another R owner in Austin jumping on to this board. IM me through this board and maybe we can talk and exchange information - would be fun to do an R meet again soon...
Old 11-07-2001, 11:16 AM
CPR

Oh man, that's a first around the message boards, but I totally agree with you. There's a lot of people in the H-T forum that seems to think otherwise. They are concerned with the car's interests more so than their significant other. Frankly, I'm worried about these people. My gf playfully asked me b4 if I could teach her to drive a manual and I was worried, but at the same time, I knew that a car is just a car, whether it be a TypeR or a Ferrari. I'm sure others will disagree but that's how I see it.

[Modified by CPR, 3:17 PM 11/7/2001]
Old 11-07-2001, 11:20 AM
New User

so how did you bend the valves? was it your GF? well i hope you and your car have a bright future together.
Old 11-07-2001, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Gather round children, it's story time. (fuzznuts)

Can dogs open car doors? lol...
Old 11-07-2001, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

damn that was a long post... lol

it's ok, i've written worse and longer ones.

did you get the jdm front when you had the front end damage?

did you get ferrea valves and put cams/ valvesprings/ retainers/ headgasket when you had the head off?

As D would say: "nice, it's a wear item."

lol

on staying in two trying relationships...
Old 11-07-2001, 12:20 PM
RJL
New User

Girls are replaceable, Type Rs' aren't
Old 11-07-2001, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Gather round children, it's story time. (Badboy01GSR)

guy......"baby, the dealer told me the valves were bent from over-reving the engine, do you have any idea how that could have happened?"

girl....."no baby, I just washed it and sprinkled fairy dust on it for good luck and when I started it, the engine ran all funny and stuff"

guy....."are you sure you didnt drive it?"

girl....."yes honey, lets have sex"

guy...."okely dokely sweety, your the bestest girlfriend ever"

Old 11-07-2001, 01:02 PM

Default Re: Gather round children, it's story time. (98_ITR#396)

She didnt tell me what happened right away, but she came clean eventually.

And no I replaced all the broken parts with stock pieces. Dont know how I want to build the car yet.
Old 11-07-2001, 01:04 PM
CPR

She didnt tell me what happened right away, but she came clean eventually.
That's just wrong.
Old 11-07-2001, 01:19 PM
Boba Connoisseur

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heh, GF rolling at 110mph and doesn't know how to shift. There must be some reason you love her. Nevermind she can't even close a car door. LOL. Girls are stupid.
Old 11-07-2001, 01:29 PM

Default Re: Gather round children, it's story time. (SkyeC)

Don't really know why. I wasn't ever that upset even. I guess this one's just special.
Old 11-07-2001, 01:44 PM
New User

damn that was a long post!
well thats why my g/f doesnt drive my car.
Old 11-07-2001, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't really know why. I wasn't ever that upset even. I guess this one's just special.
She must be...... Glad you could get over that, cause I wouldn't have been able to.
Old 11-07-2001, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

DAYUM! Talk about bein cursed!!! U better have an exorcist come by and fix u'r car! JK!

Kewl to hear u've come through u'r R's hardships. I just got mine back from the bodyshop. My car looks just like it did before the accident.

-Buzz
Old 11-07-2001, 05:00 PM

Default Re: Gather round children, it's story time. (buzzman)

Poor car You've got good spirits though. Good luck with the R in the future.
Old 11-07-2001, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Gather round children, it's story time. (RacerXI)

good luck is on it's way!! just be careful who you let drive it. id prolly let my girl drive it, but i dont have one heh!!...sorry to hear about your car..keep your head up