Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

wtf, Honda / Acura installed wrong oil filter on my car.........

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wtf, Honda / Acura installed wrong oil filter on my car.........

so, i was wondering why my car was acting up everytime i start my car. the engine jerks and is loud when i first start it.

so i decide to change the oil, and upon draining my oil, i tried to remove the oil filter with my oil filter cap wrench.

i was trying to remove it when when i figured out that the filter installed was about 1 inch to small for my oil filter wrench.

so i took a looked at the filter, and guess what, it was the wrong filter. it was the size of a small soda can, i tried using sand paper but that thing is stuck in there.

I have to take it back to a shop.

i've been driving like this for about 2 weeks, hopefully nothing major is wrong with this.

Modified by verbol assassin at 5:30 PM 10/3/2005
Old 10-03-2005, 04:43 PM
Darth ModerVader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: wtf, Honda / Acura installed wrong oil filter on my car......... (verbol assassin)

The filter they used is most likely just one of the newer "small" Honda filters, and would not cause the type of problems that you are describing.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wtf, Honda / Acura installed wrong oil filter on my car......... (Padawan)

yeah honda changed to a smaller filter awhile back
Old 10-03-2005, 04:45 PM

they didnt install the wrong one. OEM filters come in sizes...large to small. they probably put a small on your car.

mine filter is a small too and my filter grip cannot grip it either. i really dont know how to pry it off but i'm sure i'll find a way.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:48 PM

Default Re: (kb12)

does it look like one of those thin energy bottle can?
Old 10-03-2005, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (verbol assassin)

yeah its quite a bit thinner than the old style
Old 10-03-2005, 05:24 PM
I requested a short story for a title.

Default Re: wtf, Honda / Acura installed wrong oil filter on my car......... (verbol assassin)

why dont u change ur own oil?
Old 10-03-2005, 05:26 PM

Default Re: wtf, Honda / Acura installed wrong oil filter on my car......... (stocker2shocker91)

i did, but the oil filter is stuck for good, and there is no way i can get enough leverage from under the car to remove it.

cuz the guys at honda / acura installed it on way too tight and the filter is way too small for my filter wrench.

was too lazy to do my oil change 3 months ago
Old 10-03-2005, 05:31 PM

Take a long phillips head screwdriver and drive it through the filter with a hammer. Then turn it off. Had this happen to my fiancees civic.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:36 PM
I drive a G35, it's silver, surprised?

Default Re: wtf, Honda / Acura installed wrong oil filter on my car......... (accord91h22)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by accord91h22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Take a long phillips head screwdriver and drive it through the filter with a hammer. Then turn it off. Had this happen to my fiancees civic. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Works every time
Old 10-03-2005, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wtf, Honda / Acura installed wrong oil filter on my car......... (carma_626)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by accord91h22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Take a long phillips head screwdriver and drive it through the filter with a hammer. Then turn it off. Had this happen to my fiancees civic. </TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by carma_626 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Works every time </TD></TR></TABLE>

do not do this if it is stuck on there that bad and you drive the screw driver through it and it still dosent turn, you can not drive your car. there have been several cases when the screw driver just ripped the oil filter. then what do you do?
Old 10-03-2005, 06:52 PM

Default Re: wtf, Honda / Acura installed wrong oil filter on my car......... (allmotorteg_96)

Yeah dude, that defenitly happened to me when me and my buddy picked up this old 350 and were taking it apart.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wtf, Honda / Acura installed wrong oil filter on my car......... (93_teg_CT)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93_teg_CT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah dude, that defenitly happened to me when me and my buddy picked up this old 350 and were taking it apart.</TD></TR></TABLE>

what you ripped the oil filter?
Old 10-03-2005, 07:40 PM

Default Re: wtf, Honda / Acura installed wrong oil filter on my car......... (allmotorteg_96)

I bought a engine with a spun rod bearing. #3 to be exact. My oil filter wrench didnt work, had to use that band wrench. The oil filter itself was the size of a small soda can, thats was only my prediction of what there was a spun rod bearing; oil starvation.

The small soda sized oil filter was an oem honda filter however.mabe a civic of s2 filter.

dunno, just an experience.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The smaller filter that the dealership will give you is the RSX filter, which is fine to use. I have no problem road course racing with a turbo while using this filter, so good luck giving it a more extreme test.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:42 PM

Default Re: (Weston)

well, only way to find out is for me to remove the oil fitler and compare it with the older version and see of the 8 holes around the inlet lines up with the other one.

im guessing the reason why the engines jerks on cold starts si because there is no oil helping it run smoothly.

i know the old version has some rubber surrounds or whatever that helps hold in oil for the cold starts.

Old 10-04-2005, 05:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, first of all, the oil filters on all the hondas from 87-present are all the same (15400-PLM-A02) except the s2000, legend, nsx, 96-98 tl v6 & the insight. the insight ones are very, very small & the S2000 ones are larger , like the older honda ones. this oil filter issue is not a problem (besides the fact you can not remove it yourself), there is something else wrong with your car. yes I work at a honda dealership.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (UNDERGROUNDAUTOSALON)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by UNDERGROUNDAUTOSALON &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> this oil filter issue is not a problem (besides the fact you can not remove it yourself), there is something else wrong with your car. </TD></TR></TABLE>

exactly

and if you can't get it off, see if one of your frinds has a stronger grip and can get it off...you shouldn't use tools when installing/uninstalling the oil filter on our tegs.

or wear a nice thick rubber glove.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:12 PM

Default Re: (Cliffjumper2)

rubber glove and sandpaper, still cant remove the filter,

if i can jack up teh car with the hydraulic lift you guys and honda use, then yeah, i can remove it.

but since im using a hydraulic jack, and lifting the car about only a foot, there is no way i can get enough leverage to remove the filter. i can only remove them with a tool, but since my filter wrench was made for the old filter, i cant use it.

trust me, no one can get it out, unless they are standing up. if ur laying on your back, there is no way u can remove it.

i'll take it to 76 tomorrow and let them deal with it.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably just a small change in product.

Worse case, slam a screwdriver through it. Thats what I had to do when I changed my oil from the PO.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:21 PM

I work at a oil change shop exactly like jiffy lube and honda now uses that oil filter on basically every car. We use 4610 (which is like the ones they have now) and also use 4459 (The fatter older ones) for most older models. I have never seen a problem from putting a smaller filter on for the larger ones.

The reason it is hard to get off is because they DID NOT LUBE THE GASKET. All dealer ships are lazy a holes so i have to cut and burn the **** out of my self to get them off.

To get it off, deffinitely dont jam screw driver threw. Go to walmart and get a filter cup or a filter pliers (A large channel lock may also work). The pliers are pretty cheap for how much of a life saver they are. For the filter cup, it will just fit on to the end of the 3/8 ratchet and u should have enough strength to get it off. If you dont you can use 1/2 the handle off your jack as a breaker bar. (Ive needed it many times)

I hope my tips will help you and DONT FORGET TO <U></U>LUBE THE GASKET!!!
Old 10-04-2005, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (94DOHCGsr)

Im sure the size of the filter is fine for the engine. However, it sounds to me like the douchebag(s) who put it on didn't oil the gasket first, which could cause the pain in the *** you are experiencing. I've actually damn near lifted my own weight off the ground trying to remove a dry gasketed filter in the past.

When installing a new filter turn it by hand until the gasket touches the mating surface, then turn it 3/4 to 1 more turn, and if its oiled, you should be able to get it off by hand the next time you change your oil no problem.

BTW, I'm a mechanic

EDIT: Dude above me got to it first, and yeah, a filter cup will save your life
Old 10-04-2005, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (cnaman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cnaman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">they dont oil the filter gasket on purpose.

they know that if you can take it out, you'll have to go back and pay them $$$ to remove it for you.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

sounds like a evil honda plan to mak money!
Old 10-04-2005, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (allmotorteg_96)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by allmotorteg_96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

sounds like a evil honda plan to mak money!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 10-04-2005, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Cliffjumper2)

yeah, Honda has been conspiring for years against all of us Honda owners. If you've seen the movie Conspiracy Theory, with Mel Gibson, one of headlines in the newsletter he made was Honda Conspires Dry Gasketing Oil Filters! It was on his desk in a corner, but if you look closely during the movie, you can see it right before the "Silent Helicopters" (i think this is in the same movie).

Quick Reply: wtf, Honda / Acura installed wrong oil filter on my car.........