Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Vibration riddle for you guys.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration riddle for you guys.

I already searched this one and couldnt find any answers so hopefully you guys get an idea of whats going on here.. As of now, Im about ready to give up on my car. My cv boots we're busted, so i decided to go ahead and change out both axles. Either my motor mounts or my transmission mounts were slightly damaged before, so there was movement everytime I would leave it in gear and let off the gas. After I put my axles in, I thought that everything would be ok, excluding the worn mounts. It ran well for the first 20 miles or so. But I noticed that whenever i would accelerate afterwards, the whole car would start vibrating. The faster I went, the more vibration I would get, but whenever I let off the gas, the vibration would stop. All the wheels are tightened and all the nuts and suspension are tightened. Can any one help me figure out what this problem is? Could all this vibration be from busted mounts? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

make sure your traction bars and knuckles are straight and not bent, my old civic used to do the same, turned out my traction bar was bent and pulling my knuckle in.

Go get it aligned, most likely something is not on right, or straight. That'll tell you if your suspension and stuff are fine.

Old 09-25-2006, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Wendys or Bust)

Thanks.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Re: (flipinoy823)

I'm guessing the axles you put on were remanufactured ones? If so, pull them bad boys back out and go get another set.

When I replaced my axles, I had to pull both of them back out THREE times before finally getting a good set that did not vibrate really bad. I'll never use reman's again.

BTW I'm running CCT-brand remans from NAPA (also sold by AutoZone).
Old 09-25-2006, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PatrickGSR94)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PatrickGSR94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm guessing the axles you put on were remanufactured ones? If so, pull them bad boys back out and go get another set.

When I replaced my axles, I had to pull both of them back out THREE times before finally getting a good set that did not vibrate really bad. I'll never use reman's again.

BTW I'm running CCT-brand remans from NAPA (also sold by AutoZone).</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, vibration upon acceleration is the symptom of a bad inboard CV joint.

Remanufactured axles are ****.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dartanian)

You guys gotta be kidding me. I just spent the whole weekend trying to get those damn nuts off the wheel bearing assembly. They're supposed to be torqued to 134 ft lbs or something and used an impact gun and still couldnt get it off. Thank you guys for the input though. You guys probably saved me a lot of money. I guess ill have to pull them out again. Yes, they were remanufactured ones. Anyone else?
Old 09-25-2006, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i had the same problem. make sure u are getting the right axles, gsr axles are 1/16"-1/8" longer than an ls axle. oh yeah and abs does not have a factor in the axle size abs or non abs gsr's are longer than an ls.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Devo94ac)

thanks. So basically there is no sure fire way to get axles that will work the first time? Or is there a place where i can get new axles?
Old 09-26-2006, 05:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Devo94ac)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Devo94ac &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i had the same problem. make sure u are getting the right axles, gsr axles are 1/16"-1/8" longer than an ls axle. oh yeah and abs does not have a factor in the axle size abs or non abs gsr's are longer than an ls. </TD></TR></TABLE>

GS-R and LS uses the same axles. Also there can be 1/8" difference, or even more, in length simply by where the boot clamps are tightened on the axle shaft. The inner joint is designed to move in and out quite a bit, 1/8" is not going to make any difference.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by flipinoy823 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks. So basically there is no sure fire way to get axles that will work the first time? Or is there a place where i can get new axles?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The problem is that most remanufactured axles will use the same tripod bearings and cup from an old axle, and the old axle had worn some play between the roller bearings and the grooves in the cup that the bearings are supposed to slide in. If there's any play, it will make those bad vibrations when accelerating.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PatrickGSR94)

Would I be better off buying another set of remanufactured axles and guess whether or not they would be better than the present ones I have now, or would it be better if I we're to go to a honda dismantling shop to pick up a set of used axles from there? Thank you again.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:29 PM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

i would get them rebuilt by a reputable shop or get honda ones. I got mine from advanced auto and they will shake occasionally.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by flipinoy823 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Would I be better off buying another set of remanufactured axles and guess whether or not they would be better than the present ones I have now, or would it be better if I we're to go to a honda dismantling shop to pick up a set of used axles from there? Thank you again.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well, I just kept getting reman's because they were free under warranty. I only had to pay for one set.