Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

oil in spark plug/smoke in exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil in spark plug/smoke in exhaust

when i take the spark plug out there is a bunch of oil on it..what is causing this?? the oil is not on top where the spark plug wire is at..only under it..and thick white smoke is comming out of the exhaust when i press the gas..and the car runs like ****..like its misfiring anyone could help? thanks
Old 11-23-2010, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: oil in spark plug/smoke in exhaust

its the round seals that go between the head and the valve cover. buy a new valve cover gasket and it'll include the spark plug seals too. make sure all of the oil is gone when you install the gasket and seals. i always put that rtv high heat form a gasket stuff on it just to make sure it seals
Old 11-23-2010, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 91b18a1ls
its the round seals that go between the head and the valve cover. buy a new valve cover gasket and it'll include the spark plug seals too. make sure all of the oil is gone when you install the gasket and seals. i always put that rtv high heat form a gasket stuff on it just to make sure it seals
yep, simple as that.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lazyxmofo
when i take the spark plug out there is a bunch of oil on it..what is causing this?? the oil is not on top where the spark plug wire is at..only under it..and thick white smoke is comming out of the exhaust when i press the gas..and the car runs like ****..like its misfiring anyone could help? thanks
What color is your oil by chance........ could possibly be a blown head gasket. You mentioned thick white smoke coming out of the exhaust. I am not too sure a new valve-cover gasket would fix that, IMO.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 91b18a1ls
i checked that gasket...it still looks good..there is oil only on the bottom of the spark plug when i loosen it and take it out...
Old 11-23-2010, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wtf_is_jdm
What color is your oil by chance........ could possibly be a blown head gasket. You mentioned thick white smoke coming out of the exhaust. I am not too sure a new valve-cover gasket would fix that, IMO.
my oild is dark but and milky.....
Old 11-23-2010, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my oild is dark but and milky.....
that means there is coolant in the oil. now its most likely a bad head gasket
Old 11-23-2010, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh ok..then is the car suppose to run sluggish with a bad headgasket?
Old 11-23-2010, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh ok..then is the car suppose to run sluggish with a bad headgasket?
not necessarily. here, take a look at this and see how many symptoms you have. http://www.howtochangeaheadgasket.co...ad-gasket.html if you perform a leakdown test, then you will know for sure if you have a bad head gasket.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks..while i was taking the valve cover off..the circle rubber bushing from the bolt fell into the spark plug and i accidently pushed it down...now its stuck in the spark plug..will it burn out? or is it safe to leave it there?
Old 11-23-2010, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks..while i was taking the valve cover off..the circle rubber bushing from the bolt fell into the spark plug and i accidently pushed it down...now its stuck in the spark plug..will it burn out? or is it safe to leave it there?
umm. I would DEFINITELY take it out
Old 11-23-2010, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can easily get that rubber bushing out of there by turning the head upside down. That head gasket has got to be replaced. Better not driving the car with oil mixed with coolant. Good luck!
Old 11-23-2010, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by koss1229
You can easily get that rubber bushing out of there by turning the head upside down. That head gasket has got to be replaced. Better not driving the car with oil mixed with coolant. Good luck!
theres no way to take the bushing out...its stuck and pushed down so i cant even take the spark plug out...and the motor is still in the car....
Old 11-23-2010, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

theres no way to take the bushing out...its stuck and pushed down so i cant even take the spark plug out...and the motor is still in the car....
You said its rubber, so you can try something sharp, like a fishing hook. But seriously, I'm afraid you would have to take the head off the block and replace the head gasket....
Old 11-23-2010, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You said its rubber, so you can try something sharp, like a fishing hook. But seriously, I'm afraid you would have to take the head off the block and replace the head gasket....
is it possible to take the head off with the spark plug being stuck with the rubber??
Old 11-23-2010, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is it possible to take the head off with the spark plug being stuck with the rubber??
Yes, it is, but make sure to do a lot of research before you start taking the motor apart. The head gasket itself is far not the most expensive part you would have to buy. Consider changing the water pump and the timing belt at the same time too.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, it is, but make sure to do a lot of research before you start taking the motor apart. The head gasket itself is far not the most expensive part you would have to buy. Consider changing the water pump and the timing belt at the same time too.
alright thanks...tomorrow i will post a video of how the engine starts and sounds...it sounds all boggy maybe you can help me figure it out
Old 11-24-2010, 06:05 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If your oil is "milky" and there is a lot of oil on the plugs the H/G is blown, it is also why engine is running poorly, [fouled plugs], pull the head and replace the H/G.

Not sure I understand what you mean, " while i was taking the valve cover off..the circle rubber bushing from the bolt fell into the spark plug" are you saying something fell into the spark plug <<<hole>>> into the cylinder?
If so, it must be removed, although i do not see why it would prevent you from removing the spark plug.

Did you remove the spark plugs before removing the valve cover? 94
Old 11-24-2010, 08:23 AM
Trial User

i had the same prob with my integra b4 i changed the motor ur head gasket prob was tourqued down wrong like unevenly dnt mean its blown but u would need a new one
Old 11-24-2010, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would not go around running that engine with a blown HG, you can end up with a cracked block if you are not careful and that would be more expensive than just a HG...if something is stuck inside the cylinder cavity, I would think you need to remove the head to get that out anyway. Since you have to take the head out you might as well replace water pump and timing belt, and have the head resurfaced to ensure a good seal in case it is warped from the leaking coolant. Might as well have the machine shop replace the seals.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

alright thanks...going to try and change it and see what happens
Old 11-24-2010, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When my head gasket blew, i went ahead and purchased ARP head studs and a cometic 2mm head gasket. Might as well.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

alright thanks...going to try and change it and see what happens
If you have been driving the car for any amount of time with a blown headgasket, the head is probably warped. When you pull the head make sure it is not warped. It it is warped, it will need to be machined before you re-install it.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how do i tell if its warped? i did half the work today..its going to be pulled out in the morning
Old 11-24-2010, 11:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how do i tell if its warped? i did half the work today..its going to be pulled out in the morning
Surface has to be straight like glass. You can check with a razor blade. Good progress, keep going and update here

Quick Reply: oil in spark plug/smoke in exhaust