Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

My Integra nearly stolen at Mall of America this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Integra nearly stolen at Mall of America this weekend

Some dickweeds jimmied my door open and broke the ignition console and tried to hot wire it or something. There were a few broken pieces, wires hanging out, etc. Not cool when you're out with a girl for the 3rd time and you go out to your car and that has happened, and you're stuck there with no working vehicle.

Apparently there was an Integra on the floor above me in the parking ramp that had the exact same thing done to it. The cops said the theifs were amatures and did a horrible job, and said we were lucky we didn't have our cars stolen. Not to mention they said the M.O.A.'s security systems (cameras in the parking ramps, etc.) are 12 years old and way out dated.

They got some solid fingerprints off the windows though, and hopefully they'll catch these homosexuals. What do you guys recommend I do to keep my car safer when I get it fixed? I don't even have an alarm for it yet. Is just a simple car alarm enough, or will those jerks get by that easily?
Old 07-23-2006, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My Integra nearly stolen at Mall of America this weekend (verb1999)

That sucks. If you decide to get an alarm ask around before you go buy one. Think about what you need your security system to do. I recommend any DEI alarm system.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

expletive car alarms...

get fuel cut offs, kill switchs, detachable wheel(and hub lock if availible), 3 autolocks (clutch, brakes, and accelerator)

Old 07-23-2006, 08:38 PM

Have you done the fuel cutoff switch?

http://www.team-integra.net/fo...11658

You can also relocate the hood release cable.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

wow now im gunna think twice about bringing my car arround the mall of america or anywhere in the cities at that
Old 07-23-2006, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Sic_DC_FOE)

No, I haven't done any fuel cut offs, alarms, nothing. I live 30 minutes away from the Mall, in a very small and safe neighborhood. With my previous car, granted it's a 94 Oldsmobile Achieva that I've driven since 10th grade, I leave my windows down and the keys in the car, and have for 8 years.

What exactly are all those things you mention: the fuel cut offs, kill switchs, etc., and where would I get them?

Sorry, I'm not just a noob on the board, I'm also quite uneducated about a lot of car stuff. Hence why I spend some time on here reading and figuring out stuff for my car.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: (verb1999)

register to http://www.team-integra.net and go throught the article section...they have plenty of write ups for integras....

you can probably find a DIY easily
Old 07-23-2006, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What section of that website has articles about this stuff? I looked around but didn't find anything. Not that I trust myself to DIY anything, except for oil changes...
Old 07-23-2006, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

edit
Old 07-23-2006, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is not a personal stab at you, but it is never smart to leave your car open or easily accessed at any time no matter where you live. You need to understand that your car is and will be a prime target for car theft. Get a fuel kill switch and some sort of pager alarm and just be ready for anything. Unfortunately that's the price of owning an Integra nowadays.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jose-aka-Pedro)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by verb1999 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What section of that website has articles about this stuff? I looked around but didn't find anything. Not that I trust myself to DIY anything, except for oil changes...</TD></TR></TABLE>

its gonna be on the top right should say Articles.. its pretty good IMO
Old 07-24-2006, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OH! Snap son! There was a STOLEN 99' SI............. IN rosedale mall. Better watch out there is alway a sequel. Believe It! https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1686216
Old 07-24-2006, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My Integra nearly stolen at Mall of America this weekend (MAX PAYNE)

that sucks man... Good thing those guys didnt know what they were doing.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn that sux but yea get atlest an alarm. for my alarm, u need the remote to help start the car. i did a lil experiment my self....

o rolled down the windows and then close the door and arm my alarm. i hop in the driver seat and try to start the car with my key....dont' start. i did the same thing again but unlock it insted of hoping through the window. when i open the door, 3sec. later the alarm goes off. so i need to unarm my alarm then i can start my car.

hehhe get that plus a fuel cut off switch. that would slow em down by a lot and plus i dont' even know how r ppl can get trough that alarm without unarming it to start the car.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My Integra nearly stolen at Mall of America this weekend (veeetEK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by veeetEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">o rolled down the windows and then close the door and arm my alarm. i hop in the driver seat and try to start the car with my key....dont' start. i did the same thing again but unlock it insted of hoping through the window. when i open the door, 3sec. later the alarm goes off. so i need to unarm my alarm then i can start my car.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

What kind of alarm do you have?

And also, I left the car at the Mall of America the last couple days, (from Saturday night when this happened up through Monday afternoon), and everything was still there luckily. The cops and security said they'd keep an eye on it for me until I could get it towed. There is an Acura dealership conveniently like 3 miles down the road. I'll keep you guys posted on how much it's gonna cost to fix it. The guy said $104.00 to look at it, and they'll call me with an estimate.

Lesson learned for only having liability insurance with all the minimums on an Integra. Like I said I'm used to my safe small neighborhood with an Oldsmobile Achieva. I knew Integra's are high risk, but "Oh no, I'll be fine, it won't happen to me." I figure places like Mall of America are safe enough. ****** spend some money on better security, you corporate giant.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:35 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sic_DC_FOE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">expletive car alarms...

get fuel cut offs, kill switchs, detachable wheel(and hub lock if availible), 3 autolocks (clutch, brakes, and accelerator)

</TD></TR></TABLE>

honestly, who is gonna have locks for the clutch, brake and accelerator all at once? i've never seen this even with the most paranoid drivers. for a four-figure car it's ridiculous (i know they're the most stolen car, but it's so damn ridiculous!) it really sucks we have to protect them so much.

i'm pretty confident with an alarm with ignition kill (yea yea, worthless to a pro, but it stops the idiots) and fuel kill switch.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sic_DC_FOE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">expletive car alarms...

</TD></TR></TABLE>

So the theif can be in your car for a hour and figure out all of your kill switches. And break the clutch and brake and accelerator locks. the theif is not going to say "heyy I out side stealing your car" Silence is the best work spot for him. While your inside not knowing whats going on. A properly install alarm is going to protect your ride. The more layer stuff you have the better. If you have two off the same cars parked next to each other one had a alarm with all the extra layers and one with out the alarm with the same layers. Put your money on the one with out the alarm, Less chance of attention being brought to the car by the alarm going off. There are plenty of good advice here on good ole ht. Here is one by a stand up member http://www.vsracing.net/~suspended/index.html. Look for info in the audio-video-alarm section of this site, suspended hatch, f.c.m. b18c_ej and me wrx-killer will point you in the right direction.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by verb1999 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What kind of alarm do you have?

And also, I left the car at the Mall of America the last couple days, (from Saturday night when this happened up through Monday afternoon), and everything was still there luckily. The cops and security said they'd keep an eye on it for me until I could get it towed. There is an Acura dealership conveniently like 3 miles down the road. I'll keep you guys posted on how much it's gonna cost to fix it. The guy said $104.00 to look at it, and they'll call me with an estimate.

Lesson learned for only having liability insurance with all the minimums on an Integra. Like I said I'm used to my safe small neighborhood with an Oldsmobile Achieva. I knew Integra's are high risk, but "Oh no, I'll be fine, it won't happen to me." I figure places like Mall of America are safe enough. ****** spend some money on better security, you corporate giant.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i have an clifford alarm. i think my remote is the matrix 3.2 model but i dont know for sure....dont' get it...

its good and all but now thers way better ones. thers one that has way longer range than mine. mine is like up to half a mile to a mile, but has to be clear of anything. thers one that can go through walls like nothing. mine cant that much...

save up ur money for one of the best ones.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My Integra nearly stolen at Mall of America this weekend (veeetEK)

Well I got the call from the dealership, and contacted my insurance.

As stated above, all I have is liability. They won't cover it. However they are in touch with the police, and said if they can find the slimeballs who did this, they would take part in charging them so I can get them to pay for the damages. (I have Progressive insurance)

I tried to jot down what the dealership told me. New lower column cover, wiper/ignitions switches, and a cable reel. Cost to repair the car: $1424.00.

That's one ****** expensive mall trip, and I didn't even buy the girl anything! Sad. Well thanks for all the advice guys, I'm definitely checking into these security options before I even get my car back on the road, and more insurance coverage too.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You got very lucky.. take the steps to ensure this doesn't happen again.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RuskeR)

I know. I think about how much it sucks to pay $1,500 to fix this thing, but I can't help but to think that I'd be out my approximate $8,500 investment completely had they taken the car.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hope this helps but I was lurking around the forsale thread and seen the wiper switches for 50 bux
Old 07-25-2006, 11:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (wrx-killer-Sti eater)

If I wasn't such a "noob" literally I'd pick it up, and do everything myself. Unfortunately I'm not real educated with cars, and don't trust myself too far past an oil change. I can read all I want online, but it doesn't help THAT much when I'm the hands on "don't tell me, show me" style of learner. I better leave it up to the dealership to do it all right.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

glad u still have your car, sucks that the repair bill is gonna cost a left nut, id seriously try to find a junk yard and get the stuff from there if u can.

stock 4k integra or a high modded 20k investment, its the principal of the matter, no one wants there **** stolen.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SoEvoL)

get a detachable steering wheel, w quick release lock, this eliminates them from driving it. But you still got those horror stories of them towing it.

Quick Reply: My Integra nearly stolen at Mall of America this weekend