Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

jdm headers and legal issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jdm headers and legal issues

I'm looking to purchase a header for my b18c1, but want to keep it street legal so that I can pass NJ inspection and steer clear of $1000 fines. I'm quite interested in the JDM type R header, but am wondering if it is considered street legal in the US. I know that it does have the bung for the o2 sensor and I would imagine that it should be legal, but is it? For some reason I've seen a few listed as "for race use only," ie. illegal for street use.

I've heard the DC JDM header is similar to the ITR performance wise and it is legal; its cheap and relatively easy to find so it might be an easy substitute if the JDM ITR is not legal.

Also, does JG Edelbrock offer a street legal header?

Thanks
Old 06-07-2004, 11:43 AM
New User

the JDM header is not street legal from what ive heard. get a DC header.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: jdm headers and legal issues (jlsmi2)

if u want to stay street legal leave you car stock
Old 06-07-2004, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I imagine if tou use the JDM header with the heat shields, you wouldnt get hassled for it. Looks stock to cops and the smog people.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: jdm headers and legal issues (derrick2237)

yup, my oem jdm header passed the visual part for smog here in cali
Old 06-07-2004, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: jdm headers and legal issues (blacknbean)

The DC JDM is <U>not</U> legal.

The OEM JDM 4-1 is also illegal but if you get the heatshields you most likely will not be hassled.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:59 PM

Default Re: (SIK IN DA HED)

im pretty sure but my buddys hatch doesnt pass because of the jdm motor. hard to saybut i think u r inthe clear
Old 06-08-2004, 01:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: jdm headers and legal issues (blacknbean)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blacknbean &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yup, my oem jdm header passed the visual part for smog here in cali </TD></TR></TABLE>

Same here. I had heatsheilds on my JDM header and it passed.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:36 PM

Default Re: jdm headers and legal issues (96dc2)

I guess I'm not too worried about having a cop open my hood. I tend to drive like a reasonable human being and avoid driving fast where I know there might be cops. Also, my car looks like a stock 1992 civic cx, right down to the donut wheels and is rather inconspicuous. I live in NJ so I believe it unlikely that I will have cops popping my hood. I was really worried about emissions and wondered if the header would cause me to fail. I recently passed inspection, my check engine light works correctly, so I just have to be sure I'll get by emissions with this header. From what I heard this is one of the best options for n/a motor set ups. Anything other brands that will pass emissions while possibly remaining inconspicuous that I should consider? (jg edelbrock, comptech, greddy, dc, etc - and how do they compare to the ITR?).

Does the JDM ITR header bolt up with a hi flow cat and catback system or is welding necessary? I'd like to avoid anything that would cause me to have to cut and weld my catback system.

Any suggestions as far as converters and converter size (correct length/model to order) for a 92 eg hatch hybrid b18c1 swap. Will be using Greddy sp2 Catback and likely the jdm itr if i don't hear of any emissions problems.

Also, will USDM b18c1 (gsr) heat shields work with the ITR header or must I purchase the ones for the ITR??

And is the ITR header that I want the 98 spec?? Any difference in size from the earlier years, etc?

I know that I want to stay away from GSR headers (bc of the short bottom piece that doesn't reach the cat in a swapped hatch), but will the ITR header fit no problem w.o any oil pan clearance issues??

Thanks for the info, I hope this helps others too
Old 06-08-2004, 10:54 PM

It doesn't look like there is a bolt up flange on the jdm type r. Does someone make a flange that will bolt up to a cat. Or a cat that welds up on the motor side and has a flange on the back side to connect to the catback unit?

Here is a link to a picture of the jdm type r header and bit of info. Apparently needs a gasket.

Does this price seem decent.. most prices on the site seem competitive, but this header may end up being expensive with the necessary extras....

http://www.optauto.com/webstor...=1412
Old 06-13-2004, 01:14 PM

BUMP..

I'm considering jd edelbrock, which is now street legal; jdm ITR, DC Sports (money saver)... any other suggestions or feedback about these would be appreciated.

I'm having trouble deciding where to go.
Old 06-13-2004, 06:52 PM

just go to the hardware store and get a stamp set and some sheet metal. stamp out CARB YADDA YADDA ETC ETC, cut into a square and tack it on to the header like the DC one. Thats gonna werk.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:51 AM

Default header matchup

I'm in NJ, as far as I know they do not check for the CARB stamp as in Cali.

Any comments on performance from these three headers:

JD Edelbrock

JDM ITR (HONDA)

DC Sports

How do they compare performance wise, etc... advice appreciated.
Old 06-15-2004, 01:26 PM

Default Re: header matchup (jlsmi2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jlsmi2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm in NJ, as far as I know they do not check for the CARB stamp as in Cali.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, you are correct, other states do not care what the California Air Resource Board (CARB) says about any parts. Other states do not have an equivalent program, so you would probably pass any visual test with any header on there. As long as you had a cat and passed the actual emissions test.

In order for the JDM ITR to work (either DC or OEM), you will need to get a high flow cat that is slightly shorter, get some flanges welded on, and bolt it to your header and your exhaust. I think kteller and SMSP make custom carsound cats with o2 bungs and 2.5" flanges welded on for any application you can dream up. So you might want to contact them.

Good luck!
Old 06-15-2004, 01:29 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jlsmi2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I guess I'm not too worried about having a cop open my hood. I tend to drive like a reasonable human being and avoid driving fast where I know there might be cops. Also, my car looks like a stock 1992 civic cx, right down to the donut wheels and is rather inconspicuous. I live in NJ so I believe it unlikely that I will have cops popping my hood. I was really worried about emissions and wondered if the header would cause me to fail. I recently passed inspection, my check engine light works correctly, so I just have to be sure I'll get by emissions with this header. From what I heard this is one of the best options for n/a motor set ups. Anything other brands that will pass emissions while possibly remaining inconspicuous that I should consider? (jg edelbrock, comptech, greddy, dc, etc - and how do they compare to the ITR?).

Does the JDM ITR header bolt up with a hi flow cat and catback system or is welding necessary? I'd like to avoid anything that would cause me to have to cut and weld my catback system.

Any suggestions as far as converters and converter size (correct length/model to order) for a 92 eg hatch hybrid b18c1 swap. Will be using Greddy sp2 Catback and likely the jdm itr if i don't hear of any emissions problems.

Also, will USDM b18c1 (gsr) heat shields work with the ITR header or must I purchase the ones for the ITR??

And is the ITR header that I want the 98 spec?? Any difference in size from the earlier years, etc?

I know that I want to stay away from GSR headers (bc of the short bottom piece that doesn't reach the cat in a swapped hatch), but will the ITR header fit no problem w.o any oil pan clearance issues??

Thanks for the info, I hope this helps others too </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, the header can be mated to a high flow cat. I had SMSP make a custom carsound cat to fit my exhaust setup (JDM 4-1, ITR full catback) and the muffler shop had to weld part of it since my car had an extended b-pipe to the OEM header & cat. Contact him through PM and let him know your exhaust setup and he should be able to fabricate a custom cat for you.

As far as I know, all of the JDM ITR headers are identical...someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Clearance is fine and you can also opt to get the skid plate, which should help prevent denting the header if your car is lowered.

Emission wise, I have to smog my car within the next 3 weeks so hopefully I'll pass. Just gotta throw the OEM heatshield on there.
Old 06-15-2004, 05:29 PM

Any ideas on whether the USDM GSR heatshields will work with the JDM ITR??

This may be far fetched but would be a potential money saver.

Thanks for the posts, been excellent help.
Old 06-15-2004, 05:32 PM

Default Re: jdm headers and legal issues (daLixz25)

Also, how to get in touch with kteller and SMSP --- who make the flanged carsound cats...

also, you said they're made with bungs. Doesn't the JDM ITR have the bung in it already?

Any ideas on how it performs compared with the JG Edelbrock? DC?
Old 06-15-2004, 07:49 PM

I don't run a heat shield, so I am not sure about that. Hopefully someone else knows the answer.

I think you can PM kteller8 or visit http://www.kteller.com, or for SMSP you can call Dave or email him at 540-287-6384, smsproducts@adelphia.net

The bungs are needed on OBDII cats, they have one on the header and one on the cat. If you are running an OBD1 computer with your b18c1, then you won't need that extra bung on the cat.

I think the JDM ITR and DC are very similar, they are designed almost exactly the same way. However, the DC JDM is cheaper, and you cannot put a skidplate to it, as you can with the OEM JDM ITR.

I don't know how the JG Edelbrock one performs. Other headers that get good reviews on this site are Hytech, Comptech, and AN-R. They are a bit pricier though.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: jdm headers and legal issues (daLixz25)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jlsmi2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Any ideas on whether the USDM GSR heatshields will work with the JDM ITR??

This may be far fetched but would be a potential money saver.

Thanks for the posts, been excellent help.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nope.
Old 06-21-2004, 04:27 PM

Default Re: jdm headers and legal issues (96dc2)

bump.