Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

humming noise from passenger front wheel

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default humming noise from passenger front wheel

I have a loud humming noise coming from my passenger front wheel. The noise is dependant on axle speed. (not engine rpm related only vehicle speed related) The noise is unnoticable under 20 mph and gets louder as vehicle speed increases. I think it may be a bad wheel bearing. I have been told by a few people that a bad wheel bearing has a high pitched sound. The sound I hear is a humming noise (not high pitched sound made by pronouncing huuuummmmmmmmmmmmmm in a normal voice). Is this a bad wheel bearing, or can anyone else identify this noise. I do not know how long the noise has been present (just replaced the exhaust witch had a leak in the resonator for 6 months and was loud as hell). If it matters the car has 135k miles. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 06-20-2005, 09:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wheel bearing is my best guess
Old 06-20-2005, 09:30 AM

Default Re: humming noise from passenger front wheel (TEG98)

did you check ur lugnuts?.. ive had this problem.. went a while with no noise and they ended up getting a little loose and making a shitloadof noise
Old 06-20-2005, 09:58 AM

Default Re: humming noise from passenger front wheel (radzer0)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by radzer0 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">did you check ur lugnuts?.. ive had this problem.. went a while with no noise and they ended up getting a little loose and making a shitloadof noise</TD></TR></TABLE>

no that's just some retard who forgot to tighten them. Once they're tight, they don't work they're way off

humming noises are more than likely wheel bearing noises.
they are very annoying and makes the car drive like crap.

I would replace both of them. If one is going bad, then the other one will go bad right after. Get them both done
Old 06-20-2005, 09:59 AM

I've had the wheel off twice this weekend, so the lugs have been removed and retorqued twice and the noise is still there.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Check your brakes and axles. I had a bad humming noise come from my front driver side wheel and the brake pads had **** it self some how. Anyway the pads was wearing down very very quick (and not the cheap AutoZone stuff, the AEM Pads). Come to find out that the pads where griding on my rotors and cause the caliper to start to unloosen from the rotors. Or you might have a busted axle boot and that could be making the noise. Thats the only two problems i had with a humming noise. Hope it helps
Old 06-20-2005, 10:14 AM

Default Re: humming noise from passenger front wheel (DC2_005200)

wheel bearings are $65/each just for the bearings.. make sure its that before u go thru all that to do them.. i found a local honda dealership that would change $80 labor if i brought them the bearing and the knuckle
Old 06-20-2005, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wheel bearing, or possibly a bad tire.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:35 PM

Default Re: humming noise from passenger front wheel (coolhandluke)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by coolhandluke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wheel bearing, or possibly a bad tire.</TD></TR></TABLE>

good call, i didnt think of the tires.

What kind of shape are your tires in?
Old 06-20-2005, 12:54 PM

Default Re: humming noise from passenger front wheel (loud_whispers)

The front tires have ~1/2 origional tread left on them. The rears are almost shot. Tires are bridgestone Potenza RE950's. I dont think it is the tires. Am I correect that I should jack up the car and shake the tire if I detect any play the wheel bearing is bad. I have checked the cv boots and they appear fine and I dont notice any knocking when I turn the wheel. thank you for all of your help.

JIM
Old 06-20-2005, 01:42 PM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

Default Re: (DAguyLS)

When my car made that noise down in that area, it was my tranny and then it went out.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TEG98 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The front tires have ~1/2 origional tread left on them. The rears are almost shot. Tires are bridgestone Potenza RE950's. I dont think it is the tires. Am I correect that I should jack up the car and shake the tire if I detect any play the wheel bearing is bad. I have checked the cv boots and they appear fine and I dont notice any knocking when I turn the wheel. thank you for all of your help.

JIM </TD></TR></TABLE>

Tires make a big difference, I thought I was having a shitload of suspension trouble, and I got new tires, and it fixed all my problems.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:54 PM

you will not always get play in the wheel from bad wheel bearings.
That's only in severe cases.

tie-rods, ball joints, upper arms will not cause a humming noise.

torn cv boot's will cause clicking around turns.
cv joints will make noise, but not humming.

It's probably your tires or wheel bearings or a mixture of both.
You can test the wheel bearing by lifting the car with both from wheels off the ground and lowering either the right or left wheel onto a big piece of cinderblock or driftwood. This way you have 1 wheel off of the ground. Run the car in 1st and 2nd gear and see if you hear the noise with 1 wheel off the ground. Do the same to the other wheel..

That determines which wheel bearing is bad. Also determines if your wheel bearings are infact bad and it's not a tire issue.

If you do not hear the noise at all with the wheels in the air then your tires are bad. I'd reccomend getting 4 new tires since your back tires are shot also and aligning the car.

To completely correct the noise and make your car ride 100x's better.. get 4 new tires, 2 front wheel bearings and an alignment and your all set to go!

Guaranteed you will not have anymore noise.