Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

how can i get better gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how can i get better gas mileage

hey guys my gas mileage is becoming pretty crappy is there anyway i can get better mileage i have an intake exhaust and headers and its a GS-r motor so if there is anything that i can do let me know im also in seattle if that helps thanks
Old 04-19-2008, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: how can i get better gas mileage (Dj Skidz7)

change o2 sensor, slow down, and search!
Old 04-19-2008, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

change ur oil/air filter, oil change, change out ur 02 sensor, dont vtec it every time, and you should see a difference.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how can i get better gas mileage (IgnitionZ055)

yea that
Old 04-19-2008, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do some maintenance? Don't drive like a douche.
If you can't afford gas, get a bus pass.
-Rik
Old 04-19-2008, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i changed my o2 sensor & cat got from 27MPG to 33MPG on my auto so you could get more gas mileage i also got professional fuel cleaner.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You can also try a motor-vac only some shops have them but your gas mileage goes way up. it pretty much cleans out the motor and makes it run smoother.
Old 04-19-2008, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how can i get better gas mileage (db-1charlie)

yeah an injector/intake service will do you good, if your cars got over 100k miles and is still on origonal o2 sensor then it could be getting slow.

any time to mod a car to make it flow a little better, your gonna use a little more gas to match the air that your flowing... noone makes 300 hp and gets 30 mpg.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: how can i get better gas mileage (Blahblah718293)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blahblah718293 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah an injector/intake service will do you good, if your cars got over 100k miles and is still on origonal o2 sensor then it could be getting slow.

any time to mod a car to make it flow a little better, your gonna use a little more gas to match the air that your flowing... noone makes 300 hp and gets 30 mpg.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Unless boosted, my cousin makes 350 whp boosted b20vtec and he still manages 34 mpg on highway driving, and a bit under 30 city. But on an all motor build, I doubt it.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:24 PM

change thespark plugs and fuel filter
Old 04-19-2008, 04:32 PM

Make sure your tires are inflated properly so as to reduce rolling resistance. Drive with no AC, pull off your powersteering belt, drive with your windows up so as to reduce wind drag, change your trasmission fluid, and make sure your air filter is clean, and your spark plugs are not fouled.

The interesting thing is that you can get more gas milage with a higher compression ratio. If you guys read up on the Otto cycle, the higher the compression ratio, the greater the thermal efficiency percentage. More or less when increasing the compression, you're extracting more energy from the same amount of air and fuel.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:44 PM

Default Re: how can i get better gas mileage (PseudoScience)

when you guys say change the o2 sensor. are you guys suggesting the primary one, secondary one or both?
Old 04-19-2008, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how can i get better gas mileage (98GSRDC2)

PseudoScience has good points, as for spark plugs, power steering... but compression ratio i did not know about, thats very interesting.

as for o2 sensors, only change the primary one, changing the secondary (downstream of cat) is a waste of money. the only thing the secondary does is tell the computer that the cat is working, nothing else. the primary cat is the one that tells the computer about the quality of the exhaust comming directly out of the engine, and it will start to get lazy over time. if your o2 sensor is bad, its the one thing that will boost your mileage. now there are ways to test it, but the only way i know of, you need an oscilliscope, and those run a few G's...
Old 04-19-2008, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how can i get better gas mileage (Blahblah718293)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PseudoScience &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Drive with no AC, pull off your powersteering belt, drive with your windows up so as to reduce wind drag.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually I believe they tested this hypothesis on Mythbusters once... Or I saw it somewhere, and this actually doesn't make a difference. I think that once you get air cramming into the cabin, it pressurizes in there, and when it reaches equilibrium at a certain speed, just as much air has to exit the car as air coming in, so it exchanges air in and out of the car, however when it does this, it makes the majority of that air bypass the car enough so it won't really affect it.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rikter &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do some maintenance? Don't drive like a douche.
If you can't afford gas, get a bus pass.
-Rik</TD></TR></TABLE>
^^^lol...I can't believe nobody said this, change your fuel filter. on my db when i changed it for the first time i tapped it on the ground and poured out the excess fuel and it was all black its relatively cheap but don't forget to depressurize the system first or you'll smell like gas for a while...trust me
Old 04-20-2008, 05:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how can i get better gas mileage (all-mtr-teg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by all-mtr-teg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Unless boosted, my cousin makes 350 whp boosted b20vtec and he still manages 34 mpg on highway driving, and a bit under 30 city. But on an all motor build, I doubt it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Pre-Turbo = ~30 MPG Highway
With Turbo = ~38 MPG Highway
Old 04-22-2008, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how can i get better gas mileage (94VTECoupe)

yeah i saw that on mythbusters too haha. I think the results were that if you drive on the freeway with your windows down, your wasting more gas than with a/c. But if you drive slow on the street with your a/c your wasting more gas than opening your windows.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:16 AM

i never new that an o2 sensor will give better milage.. how much does it cost to replace one? if anyone knows?
Old 04-23-2008, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how can i get better gas mileage (all-mtr-teg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by all-mtr-teg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Unless boosted, my cousin makes 350 whp boosted b20vtec and he still manages 34 mpg on highway driving, and a bit under 30 city. But on an all motor build, I doubt it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

whats the point of having all that power and never using it?
Old 04-23-2008, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how can i get better gas mileage (goota)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by raj_very &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i never new that an o2 sensor will give better milage.. how much does it cost to replace one? if anyone knows?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Its around $100 for a good quality one if I remember right, maybe less. Very easy to replace.

I don't see how a turbo car would get any better mileage than an all motor car if they're both being driven in the same fashion, shifted at the same rpm etc..

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blahblah718293 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah an injector/intake service will do you good, if your cars got over 100k miles and is still on origonal o2 sensor then it could be getting slow.

any time to mod a car to make it flow a little better, your gonna use a little more gas to match the air that your flowing... noone makes 300 hp and gets 30 mpg.</TD></TR></TABLE>

My mileage increased when I added an intake, as most peoples do I believe.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how can i get better gas mileage (steveteggy92)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by steveteggy92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I don't see how a turbo car would get any better mileage than an all motor car if they're both being driven in the same fashion, shifted at the same rpm etc..</TD></TR></TABLE>

turbos are more efficient
Old 04-23-2008, 12:00 PM
Global Moderator

Default Re: how can i get better gas mileage (raj_very)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by raj_very &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i never new that an o2 sensor will give better milage.. how much does it cost to replace one? if anyone knows?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah O2 sensor read's your a/f mixture..

I picked mine up plug and play from autozone for 80.00 and it worked perfect.. Now i'm running a chipped pr-4 with the O2 disabled.. so i sold it

As everyone else has stated..

I'd start with running seafoam thru the engine, maybe some injector cleaner, then change plugs, plug wires if needed, fuel filter, change oil/filter, air filter, etc.. I'd say you will notice some good improvements.

Here's a link

http://www.diyimports.com/seafoamprint.html
Old 04-23-2008, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how can i get better gas mileage (Jimmy)

The biggest single contributing factor to improving gas mileage is how you drive. You can take a car that gets 35 mpg and make it get 25 if you drive it hard.

Accelerate easy.. don't slow down for corners as much (within reason though). For the 5 spd guys, don't shift to neutral when you slow down, but keep it in gear until you're ready to stop.

Just kinda common sense stuff.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how can i get better gas mileage (mac_24_seven)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mac_24_seven &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">, don't shift to neutral when you slow down, but keep it in gear until you're ready to stop.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

can you explain how this works? is it bec your not applying brakes as hard?

and also do you apply brakes harder for short distance or softer for longer?
Old 04-23-2008, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

doing some weight reduction can help with mpg

Quick Reply: how can i get better gas mileage