Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Gsr parking brake problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gsr parking brake problem

I just installed a set of used rear calipers (like new condition) on my gsr yesterday. Parking brake was working correctly with the previous rusted calipers. Now they are not working correctly correctly. Passenger side will work, but slightly, driver side doesnt work. From what i read, it can't be the cable. I tried adjusting the cable like most people said, it helped for the passenger side but not the driver side. The parking brake spring seems to work correctly. I'll remove them to see if the piston is moving when the parking brake is activated. Any other ideas?
Old 09-14-2011, 05:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Gsr parking brake problem

The brake pedal is also soft. It was not like that before. I still get braking power, but only later on the travel of the brake pedal. I tried to put the parking brake while driving at 15 mph and it didnt stop the car but instead it was slowing it.
Need help!
Old 09-14-2011, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

First, bleed your brakes again if you have a soft pedal. That should be done first, and it needs to be a FIRM pedal. If you pull up your park brake handle, and it goes all the way up or even close to all the way up, you definatly need to adjust it. Adjust the cable tension under the center consol until it ONLY takes 7-10 clicks to fully apply the parking brake.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by FF for Life
First, bleed your brakes again if you have a soft pedal. That should be done first, and it needs to be a FIRM pedal. If you pull up your park brake handle, and it goes all the way up or even close to all the way up, you definatly need to adjust it. Adjust the cable tension under the center consol until it ONLY takes 7-10 clicks to fully apply the parking brake.
When i changed the rear calipers, i only bleeded the rear. I'll try to bleed the front as well.

I already tried to adjust the 12mm nut for the cable tension, even at maximum, only one side would work (passenger side). When at maximum, the brake pads on passenger side would touch the disc when the parking brake handle is down. Anyway the parking brake on previous calipers worked perfectly, so i don't think it is a cable problem. The piston on previous calipers didnt move as freely as on the new ones. I had a hard time trying to turn the piston on the old one compared to the new one.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like the calipers maybe upside down swap them cause that happen to me but with a older jeep cherokee blead them like 50 thousand times n still same thing n then i really sat n looked @ them n they were upside down lol
Old 09-14-2011, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BoogyNDA9
sounds like the calipers maybe upside down swap them cause that happen to me but with a older jeep cherokee blead them like 50 thousand times n still same thing n then i really sat n looked @ them n they were upside down lol
The parking brake spring is located on the top, and there is a L and R for left and right on each calipers, so i don't think they are in the wrong position.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

anything on this???? im having the same EXACT problem on my hatch after a rear disk swap!!!!
Old 04-11-2012, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by graveltravel2
anything on this???? im having the same EXACT problem on my hatch after a rear disk swap!!!!
Did you do anything to the calipers? If not, you don't have the same problem. On my car, the problem slowly went away after i did some reverse parking brake (drive reverse and stop using the parking brake). You'll probably have to bleed the complete system as well.