Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

GSR burning oil, New rings, 2 slightly bent valves

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GSR burning oil, New rings, 2 slightly bent valves

I have a 94 B18C1 in my CRX (full obd1 conversion including virgin p72 ecu and dizzy with no check engine lights). Over revved when mis-shifted 3rd gear about 10 years ago, pinned my monster tach at 10k for about half a second. Car still ran at about 95% power after that. Car sat for 5 years while I lived out of country, came back and car still had about 90% power once I got it running again.

Shortly thereafter of daily driving, and a little racing, the car began to greatly lose power at anything over half throttle, puffing white smoke. Again, feels and runs great until there is load on it, not at any certain rpm, just when loaded. Went from beating STI/Evo's to losing to a stock s2k.

Compression test revealed slightly low numbers, so I rebuilt the bottom end. Took this as a great time to upgrade, so I threw in some Manley 12.5:1 comp pistons, new bearings, new gaskets, and slapped it together (did not touch the top end other than testing warp measurements which were fine).

This did not help at all, in fact the loss under load was almost worse. Tried new valve guide seals, didn't help. This time (about 3 months ago) I pulled the whole motor due to broken motor mount, pulled the head, and have 2 slightly bent exhaust valves. Literally barely noticeable. Other than that the rest of the valves looked great.

The clearances to the valve guides are within the specs, and I am refacing the valve seats and installing 2 new valves to replace the bent ones. I now figure my power loss is due to those slightly bent valves. Oh and yes I am burning about a qt of oil every 600 miles. And it's quite a bit of smoke when under load, accel or decel.

Oh, and PCV valve is not stuck.

I guess my question is, will a motor smoke (whitish smoke) because exhaust valves are slightly bent? Even if guides and seals were good? If that's the case, how is oil getting in there to burn?

I need to figure this out so I can get smogged for CA state ref without having to rebuild, test, rebuild again... any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

PS. Sorry for long story, just wanted to give all info on what the motor has been through.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

worn valve guides will make it burn oil. the guides are probably shot from running bent valves

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
Old 07-10-2013, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know you said theyre in spec though, I wonder if they would still be leaking.

that or your rings are shot

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
Old 07-13-2013, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR burning oil, New rings, 2 slightly bent valves

I am worried about the guides even though they were in spec due to the bent valves. The rings are new... well 300 miles ago new.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What brand of rings? Is the smoke white or light blue? Did you offset the the openings on the rings? When the head is off, lay it port side up, spray brake clean into the port and see if the valves are sealing.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:02 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

you should replace the valves.

"only slightly bent" doesn't mean okay.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:40 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Same question white or blue smoke, white smoke would be coolant, blown HG, cracked sleeve, warped head or deck.

What is compression now? 94