Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

getting S2 intake manifold, what about ECU?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2001, 12:43 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting S2 intake manifold, what about ECU?

so i've been modifying my 94 GSR into a poor man's ITR and it's time for one of the final pieces: the skunk2 intake manifold. it's good time to do it since i have to pull off the head and replace some bent valves (that's a long story for another time).
here's where i'm at spec wise: 14.81@93.7 on 555R, dyno'd at 166 (i shift slow, apparently).
here's the gofast related parts i have: AEM CAI(gen1 giant filter), JG Throttle Body, Dinan Stage II chip (8400), skunkworks port/polish/valve head milled to 10.8:1, complete JDM ITR valvetrain i got in 96 (valves, springs, cams, lost motion), AEM cam gears and pulleys, DC 4-2-1(six years old!), APEXi N-1(1 ticket so far w/o silencer), ACT clutch. i was dyno'd a long time ago with different parts at that time.
so here's what i'm considering at this time: S2 intake manifold, head gasket(SCE copper or mugen), b&m command flo and gauge, maybe the APEXi header, possibly a high flow cat.
what i'm wondering is how the S2 will work with my (slightly modified by dinan) GSR ECU. i'm not sure what happens when the ECU calls for the secondary runners to open up (well, i guess nothing happens, duh). most importantly can i put the S2 without changing out the ECU(maybe jdmhondaparts.com) and without having to get a VAFC. since i spend more time on the street than the track i (of course) don't want to lose any low end power (well, who the hell does). i'm betting someone out there (i mean here) has very similar mods and experience with the skunk2 IM. thanks in advance for any help/insight/comments.

-g
Old 07-10-2001, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: getting S2 intake manifold, what about ECU? (Go Mifune)

you can keep ur current set up with the ECu and add the skunk2 mani without any probs.
what is ur vtec xover set at??
u got almost the same set up as me except u have higher compression.
i would recommend AEM adj FPR since it bolts right on.
i think u should be fine with some good dyno tuning. maybe looking at hi 180's but definitely get a better header. JDM 4-1 w/ hi flow cat should be the minimum to start at. if u got the cash, go for SMS, spoon, Toda, or Hytech.
Old 07-10-2001, 01:59 PM
New User

Default Re: getting S2 intake manifold, what about ECU? (stick)

i wouldn't be surprised if dinan left the xover stock (4400) - i think they're back to bmw only
i like the AEM fpr but it looks like $145-185 vs. $60 for the B&M and i probably won't ever upgrade the stock pump (which would be another reason to get the AEM).
i really want a new header but:
* cash is low
* carb/eo# is nice
* don't wanna run a "test" pipe (N1 is loud enuf already)
* don't wanna alter stock cat (w/ flange)
* custom cat (for larger collector) would be expensive (for me, on top of everything else going on)
i'd like to see dyno #s for the "JDM" DC 4-1 (anyone have one?) vs. mugen
i like the craftmanship of the APEXi and i have to think of (the midrange) for the daily bump and grind (but i want jun3/todaC dammit!)
Old 07-10-2001, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well u should find out about ur vtec xover. if its still at stock, u will need a vtec controller to take advantage of those ITR cams
but if ur thinking about Toda C's then ur gonna need all the stuff i mentioned earlier plus bigger injectors, diff ECU, hi flow fuel pump,etc.....
ask some of those guys here that are running C's......
Old 07-11-2001, 08:16 AM
New User

Default Re: getting S2 intake manifold, what about ECU? (stick)

heh heh, i can't really do toda or jun (or spoon) because of $$$ and street drivability/idle concerns. check out todaC vs jun3 vs ITR ITR cams are noticably stronger from 5500 - 7000. plus i don't think it's reccomended to run 3's or C's w/ ITR valves and springs.
back to headers, that "JDM" DC is cheap! looks like $325 cer, $395 SS plus $40-80 for flange + gasket plus labor. i've mostly seen the JDM ITR for around $475.
it might be tough trying to find out anything about old dinan chips but i'll send up a flare anyway...
Old 07-11-2001, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

FYI;
secondaries are not run by the ecu... they are run off of vaccum lines... i havent figured out exactly how it works... but i took aapart my manifold and i can tell u that much