Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Front caliper sticking

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front caliper sticking

Have a 1995 Integra LS. Problem is I have a caliper sticking issue. Been working on it for a while now on this issue.

The caliper on the front passenger side stick and the wheel won't spin at all.. So what I thought was a bad caliper piston.

I then went a ahead and grabbed one from the junk yard to replace. Same issue. Then I decided to get one from autozone, still same issue.

I returned the caliper and got another one from a different autozone but still same issue. Changed three times now.

Yes I have changed the rubber brake hose as well still have the sticking caliper issue.. From what I've notice is that the caliper I got from autozone

seems to have a bigger piston. Is that an issue at all? Please note I've changed the caliper(reman@autozone) three times, new rubber brake hose, & new master cylinder(reman@autozone).

What could be the issue here? I've search and read a lot and still can't seems to find an solution at all.. The driver side spin with no issue..

Other note are that seems like the rear driver side seems a little hard to spin as well.. but the passenger side spin nicely. Can the proportion valve cause this issue? From my understanding

proportion valve seems to have something to control the brake fluid for the back/rear only & has nothing to do with the front braking system? Seems like a crisscross issue or something..

Yes I've only changed one side caliper and not both, why because what I'm trying to figure out is what is causing the sticking issue first.

Any help would be appreciated..
Old 08-29-2016, 03:04 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Front caliper sticking

Will the wheel "spin" once you have installed the new caliper but locks up when the bake is stepped on?
If so lock it up then disconnect that brake line at the MBC,/PV if it releases the caliper and the line/pipe to it is not the problem, so it has to be before that connection point. 94
Old 08-29-2016, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes when the new caliper is put on and the piston hasn't been push out by stepping on the brake then it will spin cause nothing is pushing the pads.

But once the piston is out it just stick out onto the pad which is causing the wheel not to spin..

What does MBC,/PV stand for.. You lost me their... not sure where your asking me to disconnect the brake line at?

What else can cause such issue? Can't really think of anything but maybe bad brake line somewhere, is that possible?
Old 08-30-2016, 02:20 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Master Brake Cylinder Proportioning Valve.
All you can do is disconnect that brake line as far up the line as possible to see if the pressure is released, I am guessing the problem is at the MBC, although not sure why only one side locks up, BRAKE LINES (3) for 1995 Acura INTEGRA HATCHBACK hard to see here if there is a T connection between left and right brake lines but if there is I would make the disconnection there for that wheel s brake. 94
Old 08-31-2016, 02:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

sounds like the wrong caliper or your not bleeding it correct but its so easy to do by your self i don't see how you could do that incorrect...
Old 08-31-2016, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr
sounds like the wrong caliper or your not bleeding it correct but its so easy to do by your self i don't see how you could do that incorrect...
i was going to say wrong caliper also, but after 3-4 times that seems unlikely so I would definitely move on to seeing what the pressure is like for that side brake line. It's always hard to diagnose this stuff without having the car in front of you, but it seems like you are getting way too much pressure and/or pressure is not being bled after the brake pedal is released and therefore the piston is staying engaged. Since you already replaced the master cylinder, I would go to the prop valve next and see if it is functioning correctly and search for any kind of T fitting that splits the line from side to side.