Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Fix up or let go?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fix up or let go?

Need some advice from owners or previous owners of DA/DB Integra's.

My '93 DB2 is rough. I've had it a few years now, but even with how rough it is I absolutely love it. I love driving it everywhere in the summer. It's too low to drive in the winter, not to mention the sticky clutch makes it tough to drive.

I just started a new job at the top of my trade, so money will be easier to come by in the next year. I need to have a summer car, and my Integra won't be worth much if I try to sell it. I've had offers for $1200. Needless to say it isn't worth selling.

In order for this car to last, I'm going to need engine and body work. The interior is rough too, plastics are squeaking, clips are broken, it either needs to be gutted past the rear seats, or fixed up professionally.

The piston rings are definitely on their last legs. It still pulls hard, but burns a **** ton of oil. I literally top up the oil more than I fill the gas tank. I have a buddy who wants to do dig into it, but I'm kind of worried I may have to bore the cylinders, if they're egg shaped at all. The motor has 272,xxx km, and I believe it may have been abused in the past. I don't ever rev the **** out of it until the engine is warmed up, and I always make sure my coolant is good and oil is at full. I believe if the motor is refreshed, it'll last a long time with the way I drive it.

So I have a few options. I can dump a whole lot of money into a car that I know I love, that I know I will never get bored driving, or I can sell it for nothing and buy another Honda. I was thinking of going the S2000 route, because it's RWD, but I'm not sure I'll like it as much.

I still want to watch how much I spend, and I know the S2000 route will cost quite a bit more. Though, with the amount of body work I need done (I really don't want to do it myself) it could also cost money to keep this car looking good. Metal on it has to be repaired, but it's actually not too bad. I'm thinking it would cost upwards of $2500 for repair, prime and paint... but I'm not sure about that.

Any advice would help!
Old 03-23-2017, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fix up or let go?

Well, I'll start by saying, I only spent around 2k $ restoring my 92 GS. I installed a new head gasket, clutch, aluminum radiator, poly engine mount inserts, poly body bushings all the way around. New fuel tank (old one was rusted at the seam) new aluminum rear control arms, aftermarket over size stainless steel exhaust with an OEM muffler (the sound is great imo, not too loud, but loud enough at wide open throttle). I did all my own body work. "Shaved" the doors, panels, fenders. I actually only spray painted the car, knowing someday I would get a real paint job. Here's a video of the struggle, it was worth every minute of effort! (If it doesn't work look up "The life of Ruby, Acura Integra")

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s_ttS7lg63c
Old 03-27-2017, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Fix it up man. Hard to let go of a ride that surely pleases you. Won't let go of my 99 integra too even if there are repairs here and there versus buying a new one. Would love to keep it too.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You're in a tough spot man, but it's difficult to put a price on the smile on your face. If you know and love your DB2, EVEN WITH AS ROUGH AS IT IS then I'd say pull the trigger & fix it up. I know rationally you should cut your losses & move on, as some would argue it's too far gone (based on what you're describing) but you're on a damn honda board, it's likely we're all gonna say fix it and enjoy the process. There's something to be said for taking it in a stepwise fashion & enjoying the journey back to where you want the car to be. Plus if you do the work yourself/have it done you'll know it was done the way you wanted it to.

My only advice would be don't rush into things, and have more $$ saved than you think you need. Something always comes up. And take your time, you've driven it this long in poor shape, no need to have it all fixed in a month. Plan, research, plan some more.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

if you get rid of it you will regret it.
just google regret selling integra lol.
countless tales of woe, dont become one of them. 8(

Retro Comparo: 1992 Honda Prelude Si vs. 1992 Acura Integra GS-R
Old 04-05-2017, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for all the replies people! You all have helped me make a decision. I find it hard to quote everyone here one by one on my smartphone, so I'll agree to some points.

Yes, rationally, my brain says get rid of it. But, my heart says keep it. I have never had one bad experience driving that car and love every single second in it.

You're right when you say it's difficult to put a price on a smile, and in this case it's true.

For once in my life I'm in a position where I can afford to put money into something. I would rather put it into something I love

​​​It's funny, I've had girlfriends in the past that I don't feel are "special" to me. I find it's the same with cars. I've driven many other cars, and none of them have that special feeling. This Integra is the only car I've ever driven that has me absolutely smiling the whole time.

Thanks again people​​​​​!