Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

extreme integra weight reduction in need of help

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default extreme integra weight reduction in need of help

ok guys I've figured out finally that weight reduction is actually worth doing on the integra.

Guess it's sort of a no brainer but it's a night and day difference. I have run into some issues though and I thought you guys might be able to help me work through them. So I'll list what I've done and then list the problems I need help with.

Rear seats roughly 20 pounds there heavy
replaced the hood with carbon fiber roughly 12 pound difference
spare tire removed I'm guessing 10 pounds
all carpet removed have no idea on weight
all sound deading removed with dry ice my bathroom scale says 20 pounds I weighed it all in a trash bag.
I removed the entire glove box because it's got a heavy plate in it 6 pounds gone.
removed allot of plastic 4-5 pounds total guess on that.
Removed the AC system that was allot of weight guessing 30 pounds in all including lines and compressor

so while it may not sound like a ton removed in reality it's allot.

now on to my current problems. I want to remove the drivers side airbag weight right at 10 pounds but I haven't found anyone post how to trick the SRS system into thinking it's still in the car. My county is tight if you have a light on your not passing inspection.

I also see some other areas I could shave out allot of weight and thats where I'm stuck at.
The areas I want to concentrate on are the rear deck where the speakers are if you remove it your trunk will fall off. So whats the solution because from metal content it looks like there's a good 30 pounds I could eliminate there.

There next place are the two back doors. I've got a 4 door. If I could figure out how to keep the windows up permanently I can cut everything out with my grinder. I realize this may entail sealing the back doors permanently so they won't open. Does anyone have any ideas.

My two other ideas are installing a carbon fiber trunk hatch and I am still back and fourth on the lightweight crank pulley even with a lightweight fidanza flywheel it doesn't rev super fast so I know there is some stuff to be gained by going with a lightweight pulley and I talked with honda engineer who assures me the rubber ring in the original pulley was only there to quite down the Air conditioning compressor. He also assures me that that ring is cracked up and useless with the age of the car.

Does anyone have lightweight crank pulley on a boosted car and did it make a noticeable difference because it's going to cost allot of money to have one custom made to stock size 500 to be exact.

Thanks guys as always your super intelligent answers are appreciated.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: extreme integra weight reduction in need of help

Did SC change their regs i never had to get emissions or anything there. You can get a CTR crank pulley thats what i have with my boosted teg. Also unless this is strictly a track car i dont see the need in gutting it completely. My friend has his like that and it sucks to drive in. The windows i believe use like a scissor rail design. If you cut the scissor piece attached to the rail u should jus be able to bolt them to the inside of the door frame
Old 06-27-2011, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't eat for a week.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you just clip the wire to the SRS LED in the instrument cluster? That way it won't matter if the system thinks your airbags are defective.

Just a guess, I'm sure there's a more thorough way to defeat the system if weight reduction is that important for you. Personally I'd rather lose 10 lbs off myself.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well the thing about the air bags besides the weight is if your cone racing and hit a cone to hard your airbags can deploy I've seen it happen.

thx for the advice on the doors. I'm going to do them I just have to figure out the best way to do them. I don't use the back doors at all anyway.

Anybody run a lightweight pulley did you feel a diffrence

I'm starting to think doing a carbon rear hatch and a lightweight crank pulley may be my best 2 mod options at this point.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd rather have titanium but nobody at least that I've found makes true titanium parts for the integra be nice to find some lightweight rotors and lightweight axles but I've had no luck.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:06 AM
Superfly

OP have you tried swapping the battery out for a lighter one? I've heard getting Braille battery can save you a good 20lbs or so. Also have you considered swapping out the glass for plexiglass?
Old 06-28-2011, 12:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Windsheild wiper arms and motor can go. Bolt the rear window tracks up and remover the motor. Remove the windsheild washer tank. Lightweight battery. Remove bumper crash beams. Remove entire heater box and ducts from under the dash. Remove the airbags, SRS control, and harness. Remove the radio and speakers. Since you removed the sound deadning put carpet back in. Also put the seats back in. Make it look oem but much lighter.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

instead of putting the carpet back in I laid carbon fiber on the floorboards blue and black it looks good and clean. As far as getting rid of my wipers I'm not going that route it's daily driven good info though.

The info on the battery is awesome thanks I will add that to my parts list.
I think doing a carbon fiber trunk and doing the battery is the route I'm going. I know the lightweight crank pulley will help but it's allot of work to change and since I'm going big power turbo later on down the road with a full race kit or either jacksons new rotrex system I think getting a fluidampr pulley would be a wise decision.

If you guys know where to get lightweight ceramic rotors please post.
also does anyone make light weight race axles. I am also surprised nobody makes a light weight manual steering rack.
I did do the washer fluid reservoir and pump I left that off the list by mistake.
Thanks guys for the advice and especially that battery link thats fantastic.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by slimsdizz
I want to remove the drivers side airbag weight right at 10 pounds but I haven't found anyone post how to trick the SRS system into thinking it's still in the car. My county is tight if you have a light on your not passing inspection.
Pull out your cluster and remove the light bulb behind the "SRS" light.
Problem fixed.

EDIT: It's super easy, I can make a 5 minute tutorial for you if you'd like.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:21 AM
no one wants to hear the truth

Get lightweight wheels:
real spoon 15" are about 8lbs
Get a set of rear doors,gut em and install plexiglass(keep the stock ones intact)
Aluminum exhaust piping check k20a.org
Carbon trunk
Spoon mirrors or apr
Remove the sunroof(they sell a carbon fiber filler)
Old 06-28-2011, 07:23 AM
no one wants to hear the truth

Also if you remove the entire srs system u lose weight and no srs light
Old 06-28-2011, 07:29 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

All this stuff your tearing out of your car, ruining the value, to not even shave 100lbs. Every 100 lbs is a tenth of a sec.

Say you run 14.000 the way your car sits.
So you tore apart your car and you'll run 13.925

Wow...what an accomplishment
Old 06-28-2011, 08:22 AM
Superfly

control arms and the rest of your suspension, putting in aluminum or chromoly components, should shave a couple pounds. also if you use this car for the track you can save weight by not showing up with a full tank of gas.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PandaEj6
All this stuff your tearing out of your car, ruining the value, to not even shave 100lbs. Every 100 lbs is a tenth of a sec.

Say you run 14.000 the way your car sits.
So you tore apart your car and you'll run 13.925

Wow...what an accomplishment
Or get an old EG, swap your engine in, keep the ammenities, and drop 400 lbs. But I'm sure the OP has his reasons for what he wants to do. I've heard that extreme weight reduction can make a pretty big difference in Integras.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah I don't care about the value of the car. Last I checked bluebook on a 4 door gsr was around 2500 dollars anyway. I realize it will eventually become a classic but if I wanted a collector car thats going to be worth big money I'd get a crx because thats going to be one of the most sought after collectors cars from honda. A bone stock unmolested CRX. I have no intention of ever selling my car I'm over 30 and I tend to keep what I buy.

I have no idea where your getting 100 pounds from everything I've removed and taken off is well over 100 pounds I can tell a huge difference with this teg on a diet and with all the super knowledgable people on here I think we can get the weight down to a manageable level. 243whp is allot for a weekend cone carver so I'm just trying to get the weight down as far as I can without losing things like my wiper blades and the heat in the car. I'm trying to focus on carbon fiber parts and I had looked at Lexan for the back glass but nobody makes lexan for the 4 door and I've heard horror stories about it scratching. I called around to see if someone could make me custom glass out of thinner glass and it can't be made at a reasonable expense so unless I want a stain glass back window lol I'm stuck with the factory glass.

I really appreciate the links and the responses everyone there have been some very thorough answers.

Let me ask a question am I required to run the exhaust out the back of the car????
Is it legal to have someone run it out the side because I could get rid of 50 percent of the pipes if I can legally do it.

Back to the matter at hand could you post a link to the carbon fiber sunroof. I thought about making one but if I can buy one at a reasonable price it may be worthwhile. Only problem is I kinda like my sunroof being able to open and close. I'd still love to have the link though for future reference. As far as the doors go I think I'm going to hold off on hacking them up for a bit just to make sure thats really what I want to do.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh an posting a SRS hack solution for the driver side airbag would be great.
I know how to remove the gauge cluster if that helps just don't really know what to do from there as you said it's probably simple. hope the mods sticky this thread you guys know allot obviously not your first rodeo.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've got the apr carbon fiber mirrors on the car. They are not desighned to fit he 4 door. I didn't know that until after purchasing them but they will work with a little bit of modification.

Anybody know how much the stock sunroof panel weighs with all the tracks and the motor??
Old 06-29-2011, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You can remove the passenger side airbag and the srs module and the light will go off. Also ive seen carbon roof skins so you can take the sunroof out and save couple pounds. Theres also abs and ps deletes.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sunroof removal

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...t=sunroof+plug

I did not reread, but about 30-35 pound savings I recall.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the link I decided to go a different way. I think it will work better then the carbon fiber panel. I understand what the guys are doing but I just have a difference of opinion of design. I went to the laser cutter today they cut me a nice aluminum anodized piece for 25 dollars. Instead of placing it down in the hole where the sunroof sits mine will go an inch of overlap around the edge. This will ensure that no water will get inside my car at any point. Carbon fiber is good stuff but it has it's weaknesses aluminum on the other hand is 25 dollars cut by a laser and will last the rest of the life of the car. I'm going for bang for my buck aluminum was the obvious choice. Install is basically the same but easier because it's not recessed the panel will be slightly raised which doesn't bother me one bit. The aluminum will form to the body as well. If I was going to start making these for people I'd probably look at magnesium for ultra lightweight but considering a magnesium fire burns at 3000 degrees and it's directly above your head I'll stick with aluminum
Old 06-29-2011, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the guy was also telling me I can make my own rear bumper diffusors laser cut for ten dollars but one thing at a time.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what happens to fiberglass when it's directly in the sun all the time and we are talking about the roof of your car here. If you don't know it cracks. The thin carbon fiber is going to crack I don't care what they advertise over time it will crack. Why mess with brackets it's just more stuff to break or come loose. A 1 inch overlap on a piece of aluminum thats 1mm thick isn't going to be very noticeable and will be 100 percent less problematic.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wasn't trying to get you to use the Lighter-Faster. Just answering your question, "Anybody know how much the stock sunroof panel weighs with all the tracks and the motor??," with a site that has product and info.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oh I know what your were getting at. The stock sunroof panel with motor and tracks weighs 35 pounds exactly so it's allot of weight and it's up high which means it is affecting handling. In my mind it's gotta go. I love the look of carbon fiber I just felt aluminum was the better way to go given the price is allot less and the weight is very close to carbon fiber.

here is the link to the carbon fiber one.http://www.corsportusa.com/store/cat...oducts_id=6968

Quick Reply: extreme integra weight reduction in need of help