Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Distributor and starting troubleshooting, 1993 Integra LS,

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Distributor and starting troubleshooting, 1993 Integra LS,

Hello all, I have a few questions about my 1993 Acura Integra LS and its recent starting and running problems.

I will preface this by saying in spring of 2012 it kept stalling out of the blue and it turned out to be the coil, it was getting warm and would shut off, then would start after a cooling period of about 20 minutes. Fixed it by installing a new coil, and has been actually running great for the last year and a half.

Now, fast forward to July 28 of this year I was getting in my car to go home from work and it started fine and then quit just a few seconds after, it did this twice before it started and it ran until I was within 2 miles from home and then would not go any further (it stalled twice on the way home as well).

The inner seal on the distributor had been leaking for a bit and I thought maybe oil getting in there was making the distributor go haywire. So I got a seal, took apart the distributor installed it and put it back on the car, no start. I got out my volt meter and checked around. Seemed to me that the coil was going bad again for its random stalling. Replaced the coil (again) and still not starting. I then noticed it was not getting spark so I replaced the ICM/igniter and still no spark and this not starting.

Is there a spec sheet or spec numbers for testing the resistance for the various sensors in the distributor like crank pos sensor, tdc sensor, etc? Is one of these sensors causing this? I did test them somewhat with ohm readings of 368-369. Not sure what those readings mean exactly but the fact that there are readings there tell me that the sensor(s) should be good.

I tried pulling codes to no avail all I got was a solid cel with the key turned on, but it might have to be running to pull codes is that correct?

Readings are all good: From - to + was .8 ohms, secondary resistance (from + to coil) was 15.7k ohms, and I have power to and throughout the distributor at 12v.

Fuses are all good.
Fuel pump is good
Starter is good cranks well.
Battery is good
Brand new coil
Brand new ICM/Igniter
....But no spark

I did try searching and even tried a few troubleshooting articles and didn't really get anywhere.

So if anyone has any ideas on what to try or something I missed it would be extremely appreciated.

Thank you,

Andrew Olson
Old 08-06-2013, 04:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Re: Distributor and starting troubleshooting, 1993 Integra LS,

replaced your sparkplug wires lately?
test them for resistance, if there is any they are toast.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:13 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tamboo
replaced your sparkplug wires lately?
test them for resistance, if there is any they are toast.
Do not quit your day job.

A spark plug lead better have resistance, [10,000 ohms or more] or you have a problem.

93integrals, although sparkplug leads may be the problem, have you checked to see if you have power going to the distributor with the ign. switch in both the run AND start positions, ign. switch problems are common on older Honda/Acura. 94
Old 08-06-2013, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

lol my bad resistance should not be over 25 kilohms.
fwiw i did have bad wires that caused similar problems.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:05 PM
Shit Posts: 15

Originally Posted by fcm
Lmao
Old 08-07-2013, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fcm

A spark plug lead better have resistance, [10,000 ohms or more] or you have a problem.

93integrals, although sparkplug leads may be the problem, have you checked to see if you have power going to the distributor with the ign. switch in both the run AND start positions, ign. switch problems are common on older Honda/Acura. 94

I just tested the resistance of the wires. The wires are from NGK and they are about 2 years old.

1: 6500 ohms
2: 5500 ohms
3: 5100 ohms
4: 3500 ohms

Ill have to check the ignition voltage later on tonight.

Andrew