Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

crazy steering on road grooves.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 12:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default crazy steering on road grooves.

recently Ive been noticing that the steering goes crazy if i let it go on a bumpy street. i checked the trailing arm bushing and i noticed that the bushing is cracked, and said 92 eg si, my car is a 98 gsr btw can that be it?....

my car has a uneven steering, what else can it be?
Old 05-26-2007, 06:58 AM
Daisy... Daisy...

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: crazy steering on road grooves. (Championship)

Is the offset on your wheels correct?
Old 05-26-2007, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EG & DC share the same sub frame, basically suspension pieces etc can be swapped from one to the other very easily & a lot of the parts are interchangeable. as for your "crazy steering" have you gotten an alignment recently? what whell/tire combo are you running? if it's a real low profile you will "feel" the road a lot more...
Old 05-26-2007, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: crazy steering on road grooves. (Championship)

I'm dealing with the same problem right now and trying to sort it all out. So far what made the biggest difference besides a good alignment was to adjust the steering rack guide screw, check your helms.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Back when i had a 94 maxima the control arm was cracked but i didnt know it. so when i would be driving it would suddenly shift direction and pull to the left. check all your suspension parts tomake sure they are still together.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (silentdeath12886)

i did an alignment when i installed front the camber kit. (jan of 07)

my suspension so far consist of tokico blues (bought in dec of 06) neuspeed lower springs, the tires are 205/45/16. all with about close to the correct psi.

can it be the trailing arm bushing?...it's a little worn out since it is from a 92 civic. but goddamn does the steering go crazy
and yes i know that eg's and dc's have interchangeable parts.

and just to get this out of the way, im no noob been here since 05
Old 05-26-2007, 04:23 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Default Re: (Championship)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Championship &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i did an alignment when i installed front the camber kit. (jan of 07)

my suspension so far consist of tokico blues (bought in dec of 06) neuspeed lower springs, the tires are 205/45/16. all with about close to the correct psi.

can it be the trailing arm bushing?...it's a little worn out since it is from a 92 civic. but goddamn does the steering go crazy
and yes i know that eg's and dc's have interchangeable parts.

and just to get this out of the way, im no noob been here since 05 </TD></TR></TABLE>

Make sure they did the alignment right. Go to another shop, and have them check it. Usually they check alignments for free almost anywhere. Besides that....yes cracked bushings can be really bad for control. I had a lot of bad bushings and my car was very hard to keep on the road. Replace with OEM!! dont replace that big trailing arm bushing with polyurethane. It works fine for dragracing or only straight line driving. But for street driving or handling, that bushing needs to articulate so that the trailing arm can keep a level of geometry that aids in control.
Old 05-26-2007, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B serious)

could be you inner tie rods i got a civic like that, i replaced them and it helped but found out the rack and pinion is worn out
Old 05-26-2007, 07:30 PM

Default Re: (adamrich33)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by adamrich33 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">could be you inner tie rods i got a civic like that, i replaced them and it helped but found out the rack and pinion is worn out</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah. but checking suspension components is all part of a good alignment. lift the car up and give everything a good shake, and look at it to make sure the bushings arent crapped out. besides the one you mentioned.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Make sure they did the alignment right. Go to another shop, and have them check it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

it's not that my car goes to one side all the time, it's just that my car just goes with the grooves of the road, my steering wheel just forces itself to the road....don't know if you guys know what the hell im talking about but it's driving me insane.

i can't even pass 70mph in the freeway because it feels unsafe

im going to check everything out and see if the trailing arm bushing is not the only thing that is damaged
Old 05-27-2007, 11:58 PM

Default Re: crazy steering on road grooves. (avoid)

hey avoid what part of the island are you from?
Old 05-28-2007, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's called tramlining. It can be caused by excessive camber.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (suspendedHatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suspendedHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's called tramlining. It can be caused by excessive camber.</TD></TR></TABLE>

my camber is in specs. it's lowered but camber is fine.

my also dog trails
Old 05-29-2007, 06:13 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Championship &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

my camber is in specs. it's lowered but camber is fine.

my also dog trails </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol ...well it dog trails. That's a bit of an issue, dude. Why does it dog track? Has it been crashed?

Possible alignment issues: If your caster is off, it will pull on road grooves and not on flat surfaces. If your toe is off (enough) equally on both sides, it will bumpsteer badly when one side compresses more than the other (hitting bumps or grooves). Camber is usually not a big factor in tire wear (unless you're doing burn outs) or a car that is pulling. Although, in extreme cases, if the CROSS camber is off (the difference of camber between sides) bumps will cause the car to run all over the road. Maybe the bolts on your camber kit slipped?

The dog tracking issue would mean that the toe has to be OUT on one side as much as the other side is IN in order for the car to go straight. This will wreak havoc whenever you hit any road irregularities. Ask someone who offroads their jeep a lot. Dog tracking would be a dead give away to any kind of weird suspension behavior really. If the chassis isnt straight, the suspension can only be aligned when it is evenly compressed on a lift. Otherwise, it's all over the place. Bump steer and dog tracking go together like no coolant and overheating.

Your wheels also may be at too low of an offset. Too low of an offset wheel will make your scrub radius abnormal, causing TONS of bump steer. More leverage on the hub will cause that hub to want to turn. A bump will cause it to want to turn A LOT. What size/offset are your wheels? I doubt this is the problem as civic/integra fenders are pretty limited in width.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

lol ...well it dog trails. That's a bit of an issue, dude. Why does it dog track? Has it been crashed?

Possible alignment issues: If your caster is off, it will pull on road grooves and not on flat surfaces. If your toe is off (enough) equally on both sides, it will bumpsteer badly when one side compresses more than the other (hitting bumps or grooves). Camber is usually not a big factor in tire wear (unless you're doing burn outs) or a car that is pulling. Although, in extreme cases, if the CROSS camber is off (the difference of camber between sides) bumps will cause the car to run all over the road. Maybe the bolts on your camber kit slipped?

The dog tracking issue would mean that the toe has to be OUT on one side as much as the other side is IN in order for the car to go straight. This will wreak havoc whenever you hit any road irregularities. Ask someone who offroads their jeep a lot. Dog tracking would be a dead give away to any kind of weird suspension behavior really. If the chassis isnt straight, the suspension can only be aligned when it is evenly compressed on a lift. Otherwise, it's all over the place. Bump steer and dog tracking go together like no coolant and overheating.

Your wheels also may be at too low of an offset. Too low of an offset wheel will make your scrub radius abnormal, causing TONS of bump steer. More leverage on the hub will cause that hub to want to turn. A bump will cause it to want to turn A LOT. What size/offset are your wheels? I doubt this is the problem as civic/integra fenders are pretty limited in width.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

wheels are 16x7 47offset maybe?... and 205/45/16

but wow!!! thanks for the help and info....i appreciated
Old 05-30-2007, 02:02 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Championship &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

wheels are 16x7 47offset maybe?... and 205/45/16

but wow!!! thanks for the help and info....i appreciated </TD></TR></TABLE>

your wheels arent an outrageous size or offset...so that's probably not it. Just have it checked again by a different shop for alignment.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:14 AM
no one wants to hear the truth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: crazy steering on road grooves.

bringing this back from the dead..having similar issues as the op

96 gsr db8 w/ k-swap
f&f type 2
stock front uca
ebay rear uca
16x7 buddy club 41 offset? w/ 205 45 16 bf g-force
p/s deleted

the car feels scary on wavy roads(at speed) hard to keep straight..crazy bumpsteer

any useful input greatly appreciated