Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Car shaking, what is the problem??

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car shaking, what is the problem??

whenever i drive on the freeway or drive past 75mph the car starts shaking along with the steering wheel. it feels like its shaking on the left side or somewhat. does anyone know what the problem could be?? could it be my wheel allignment?? i dont have the camber kit in the front but i do have it for the rear. if i took it to get an allignment would it fix the problem or would i have to buy a camber kit for the front?? i have coilovers btw.

the car did steer to the left when i let go of the steering wheel but i aired in all the tires to make them all pumped and now the steering wheel goes straight sort of but still shakes when i go at an average speed. please help me this is dangerous driving like this especially in the rain.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:50 AM

Default Re: Car shaking, what is the problem?? (d0ugch0i)

could be a couple of things, alignment, tire balance weights missing, tire wear, wheel bearings, cv axles. You just have to narow it down. most of the times its alignment or tire wear.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:54 AM
Jet Life Til' The Next Life

Default Re: Car shaking, what is the problem?? (vbspunger)

Could be the mounts...
Old 12-01-2007, 09:57 AM

Shaking could be either the condition of the tires, balance of the wheels, the alignment or something wrong with the suspension.

Does it only happen when you are under acceleration. or deceleration. or at a steady speed or is it only at a certain speed regarless of acceleration?

If it only happens at certain speeds and goes away at others... I would suspect that it was either the condition of the tires or the ballance of the wheels. I know this one from experience. First I would visually check your suspension. Check to see if your tie rods are good by pushing the tires in and side to side. if they move excessively have that checked. Then I would check all of your tires. make sure they are good condition with no lumps or bulges. Then I would take them somewhere and have all 4 wheels balanced. (this is what i personally think is wrong with your car.) This was a total of 12 dollars when I had it done (walmart lol).
If this doesnt fix your problem then I would check your alignment. Some places will check your alignment for free. So I would look into that.
If none of this fixes it get back to us. Your problem could be serious.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:16 AM

yea my friend said that it could be the wheel balancing. cuz i looked inside the wheels and there were no weights at all so that could be it.

it only starts shaking when i hit high speeds. 75mph+

im going to be checking out my wheel balancing right now and ill let you guys know after im back.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:52 PM

yea i just came back from balancing my front tires and i dont think thats the problem cuz it still shakes when i hit high speeds.

i had a set of other rims i had before these and my car ran perfectly fine with them on. i asked the guy to just be honest and i didnt mind if he said that they were bent and he said that the wheels werent bent at all.

friend that balanced my wheels said that i needed hub rings. could that be the problem??

Modified by d0ugch0i at 2:03 PM 12/1/2007
Old 12-01-2007, 04:57 PM
Reject Papi

Default Re: (d0ugch0i)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by d0ugch0i &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it only starts shaking when i hit high speeds. 75mph+</TD></TR></TABLE>

maybe it is your hub ring, or just...quit speeding?
Old 12-01-2007, 05:31 PM

umm its not speeding its called driving on the freeway...lolz.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:40 PM
Reject Papi

sorry but i gotta be an ***, http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/pgs19thru22.htm right here it states that the maximum allowed mph, in ca, is 70, soooo....75 is speeding.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:09 AM

people like you give honda-tech a bad reputation
Old 12-02-2007, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so did u get your wheels balanced? and if u did the guy was able to balance it? if its still doing it then i would check mounts, or axles.

but i would think its most likely the wheel balance. for the hub rings hes talking about, is the wheel not sitting properly on the hub and isn't seated right?
Old 12-02-2007, 01:46 PM

yea thats what he said. he said that i needed hub rings cuz it didnt fit tight on.

how do i check my axles and mounts?? sorry im noob at this stuff.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:05 PM
Reject Papi

your right, i'm sorry, for being a smart ***. here i found some "vibration" threads, hope these help. https://honda-tech.com/zerosearch
Old 12-02-2007, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Had this problem before, and at 75 mph for some reason it raises its head. Its hub spacer rings for sure. All new wheels or different wheels require them
Old 12-02-2007, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would get the hub rings first....that is most likely the cause...
Old 12-03-2007, 12:00 AM

I would check the other 2 wheels first. its probably the cheapest fix. its a good idea even if its not the cause of the problem. Walmart here does it for freakin 3 bucks a wheel. Just do it so you can cancel it out. I have been in the position where i went and replaced a whole bunch of parts when all i needed was a 3 dollar part that i over looked or half-assed.

If you are really that eager to half-*** this,
Then rotate your tires and put the front ones on the back and vise versa. Drive it. If it still shakes but does it differently then it is wheels you did not balance.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:24 PM

the car still shakes when i hit 75mph+. got my front wheels balanced but i guess i should get the back ones done too.

the guy that balanced my wheels said i need hub rings or something and i just asked another guy that works at a shop and said i need wheel bearings?? which is it??

**i didnt get my wheels alligned yet so that could be a possibility
Old 12-04-2007, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my car was the same it turns out it was my hub bearings
Old 12-05-2007, 02:01 AM

And you will never know, and you are going to keep questioning it until you finally decide to cough up the six dollars it takes to just have the rear wheels balanced. just do it so that you can eliminate it. Its a good idea anyway even if it isn't the problem. Or just take your rear tires and put them on the front and see if you can tell a difference. Alignments can be expensive. Eleminate the things that are cheep first. True, that an alignment would be a good idea anyway. So if you have the cash to burn go ahead. (i am guessing that is not the case since you just got the front 2 wheels balanced.) Stop fretting about it. Stop taking peoples opinions who have not driven the car and fix what is most likely and cheapest. then if that doesn't fix it. then ask a professional to drive your car. (you can still fix it yourself if you like), but he will be able to tell instantly. Many places offer this for free. But keep in mind that they will probably tell you every little thing thats not perfect on your car and make it sound like you cant drive it.
But your going to fight yourself until you find out what it is. So just do it. Not to mention as you said... its not safe to drive as it is.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:52 AM

...now i have another problem. whenever i drive i hear this loud knocking sound in the back and it gets worse when i turn left but not right.

started happening after i drove fast and started braking to slow down.

Modified by d0ugch0i at 1:10 PM 12/5/2007
Old 12-05-2007, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

warped breaks plates? axles? alignment?
Old 12-05-2007, 03:06 PM

yeup i found out what the clanking noise was alright. look what happened. one of my wheels fell off, rolled across the street, my car hit and dropped to the floor, fucked up my back bumper, and wheel has stripped threads.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:14 PM

should have balanced the rear wheels huh! would have found out about your loose nuts then. Heck just taking them off to rotate them you would have found it. Good move, you could have killed yourself today.

Make sure to let us know how much it cost to completely fix your car. I am curious of what the difference is. 6 dollars... or x dollars

Modified by Greenbling at 4:34 PM 12/5/2007
Old 12-05-2007, 03:45 PM

Default Re: Car shaking, what is the problem?? (Greenbling)

As a tech I have to agree with the hub rings if there aftermarket wheels. By the way a alignment will not cause a vibration or a shimmy. So I would use hub rings a balance all 4 tires using grams not ounces there more accurate.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:20 PM

i never said i wasnt going to balance my rear wheels so dont be saying that. i just dont have the time to do it cuz i got alot of things going on.

Quick Reply: Car shaking, what is the problem??