Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

94 Integra RS keeps dying

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Integra RS keeps dying

I have a bone stock 94 RS with 120k

A few weeks ago the engine would simple die.
Not at idle but when im driving. Especially on the freeway.
All power still works. After about 5 minutes the car will start after much effort.
The car would run fine but for no longer than 5 minutes.

The shop believed it was either the main fuel relay or distributer. They replaced the fuel relay yesterday but it still died on me after a few minutes of driving in the city. They may change the distributer today.

Anyone have experience on this? Could the distributer be the problem?
Old 05-03-2006, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 94 Integra RS keeps dying (MilanoRS)

i had a similar problem but it was the fuel pump going out
Old 05-03-2006, 01:22 PM
Do you even PLEBE R8?

I would have bet the farm on the fuel pump relay, but since i would have had no barn to fix the problem in, I would have the fuel pump tested/replaced. lol

I dont think its the distibutor, sounds like a fuel issue in my opinion.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:47 PM

Default Re: 94 Integra RS keeps dying (ForceFed_Motorsports)

Hmm that makes me think if i should allow him to change the distributer. He says he let the car run for awhile and it hasnt died on him. Obviously it only dies when its driven.

Hope that helps in diagnosing this problem.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah, that doesnt sound like the distributor, thats exactly how my fuel pump problem was, it was fine at idle, but when more fuel is needed at higher rpms than idle the car would cut off
Old 05-03-2006, 01:59 PM
Do you even PLEBE R8?

I wouldnt change the distributor... in my opinion. Doesnt seem right, you would think that the car would run like crap all the time if the distributor was bad.

Have him check not just the pump/relay again but did he think about the wiring to it. Look for a loose ground of bad wiring... i just had an epiphony actually, i would definately check the wiring! Check grounds...
Old 05-03-2006, 02:14 PM

Default Re: 94 Integra RS keeps dying (ForceFed_Motorsports)

yes because when i get it started the car runs fine. even for about 5 minutes. when it does die, i try to start it for a few minutes and it doesnt start. after about 5 minutes it will start and run fine.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats exactly what happens when your fuel pump is about to kick the bucket, id put money on the fuel pump
Old 05-03-2006, 02:21 PM

well i just got off the phone with my mechanic. said he put it on the dyno and it died on him.
he said it was the distributer. said there were no sparks and it was bad. also mentioned the fuel pump and wiring was fine.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i would have lost money
Old 05-03-2006, 02:29 PM

Default Re: (MajorPayne)

i havent picked up the car yet. but how exactly would u go about checking the fuel pump?
Old 05-03-2006, 03:31 PM
Do you even PLEBE R8?

Default Re: (MilanoRS)

Check voltage to it... if it has 12v to it, it should be doin its job. If its not its messed up. Thats bizarre it was a distributor... did he say how he diagnosed it or is he shotgunning it like almost all technicians?
Old 05-03-2006, 04:34 PM

Default Re: (ForceFed_Motorsports)

Well i got the car back and it works fine. i was a nervous but i drove it for about half an hour. no problems whatsoever.

i told him all the things you guys mentioned and he checked them for me and said they were working fine. thanks for all your input i would have never thought of those things and i feel better now that i know they are fine.

i didnt ask how he diagnosed it. i just know when i first called him about the problem a week ago he said it was either the main fuel relay or distributor. He said the distributor was really bad and it was causing it to miss sparks and kill the engine.

Old 05-04-2006, 07:01 AM
Do you even PLEBE R8?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MilanoRS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i didnt ask how he diagnosed it. i just know when i first called him about the problem a week ago he said it was either the main fuel relay or distributor. He said the distributor was really bad and it was causing it to miss sparksand kill the engine.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ohhhh, see you never stated in the beginning that it was running like crap when it did start. Usually a misfire is related to spark, sorry bro. I would have made some better spark related suggestions but oh well, you got your car fixed.

Old 05-04-2006, 12:18 PM

Default Re: (ForceFed_Motorsports)

Yea i had no idea it was missing sparks. it felt a little sluggish but i couldnt tell the difference.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:40 PM

i'll bet it's related to fuel
Old 06-09-2006, 03:45 PM

Default Re: (bleemasaurus)

Why do people replace the whole distributor when it usually is just a faulty component in the dizzy, like the coil or ignitor? I have almost 300K miles on my dist, but I have all new components inside.

A guy I work with was having problems with his civic. It was starting to run like crap and sputtering a bit during acceleration. I suggested that his coil was going out, and that he should have it tested. I told him that the coil is like $60 and really easy to install.

He took his car to a shop, they charged him $300 to replace the coil, lol. What a waste of money. I would have done it for him for free, but I guess he likes giving money away. I am not a certified mechanic, but I did stay in a Holiday Express last night...
Old 06-09-2006, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Sam92Teg)

my distributor took a **** around 130k i had replaced the ignitor a few months earlier and then i changed my cams and went to check the timing i was at 9 degrees. it also was making a wineing noise. i honestly dont know how the car was running so i did the distributor. no more noise but still the same problem. changed out the coil brand new ignitor and main coil wire. no problems. but 90-93 integra had a recall on the distribuotrs but only in certain parts of the US and only will be replaced if you have under 100k.