Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Sway bar install on a crx

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sway bar install on a crx

I've got a new sway bar and I want to custom fit it to the CRX.

I'm concerned that the bar may not be what I think it is. It is supposed to be a 22mm rear sway bar, but its the same thickness that my stock crx rear sway bar is.

Also the bar is not shaped exactly the same but it is close so I know that i can custom fit it and have a secure setup.

I've come up with two options: attach the D brackets to the subframe somehow, but reinforce it so that the upgraded bar doesn't cause a tear-out of the subframe. Or, fabricate brackets that mount to the stock location on the frame rails that extend down and forward from where the stock D bracket is located, to meet with the bar.

Here are the subjects:

On the top is the oem crx si rear sway bar.
On the bottom is a USDM integra type r 22mm rear sway bar.

Here you see the oem crx bar in place:

Here you see no bar:

And here you see the integra bar attached at the endlinks with me holding up the middle close to where I want the bar to eventually be planted:

Here is the stock bar again from a good angle:

will someone else put an eye on this and give me their opinion or ideas?

first option I will have to drill holes, make spacers and some type of reinforcement to distribute the load across the subframe so that it doesn't tear. busting a subframe because i didn't reinforce it right would be bad becasue i'd have to replace the subframe which requires welding which i can't do. second option i can't figure out what design would drop down, forward, and to the left and keep its form and strength even on those long track days. so maybe there is an answer to that or maybe there's a better idea to plant that bar using the provided bushings and d brackets.