Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Attended the Mazda Rev It Up today.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2003, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Attended the Mazda Rev It Up today.

Anyone who is going to this event Saturday or Sunday email me I've got some good tips for you

I was in first place all day in the Pro Class and overall until Mark Daddio showed up He knocked me into 2nd place overall. Little bummed, but I got within 1.5 seconds of the PRO TIME.

It was a fun day. I hung out with the Falken Tire guys, got free food, free stuff and LOTS and LOTS of seat time. The Mazda 6 is a big fat pig, but it was fun to beat up on a car that wasn't mine

There are two different cars to practice in the 4 cylinder and the 6. I shifted from 1st to 2nd and back to 1st netting my best time, but I heard later that I should have left it in 2nd for the last section.

Mike
Old 07-19-2003, 03:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Attended the Mazda Rev It Up today. (CivicSiRacer)

Did Daddio beat the index time?

I'm going later today.

Anthony "Mario" Crea
Old 07-19-2003, 03:15 AM

Default Re: Attended the Mazda Rev It Up today. (honda93)

definately leave it in 2nd. The winner will have to be within about 4 tenths of the index to get a winning score.
Old 07-19-2003, 03:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Attended the Mazda Rev It Up today. (honda93)

When I left he had a 31.2 or 31.1 with a score of 683. Just checked the Mazda Rev It Up site and it says that was his best score. So I'm guessing that was his final score. The time to beat was 30.382.
Old 07-19-2003, 04:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

going to the one in dc on fri
Old 07-19-2003, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (crxchris)

I might too. Since now I have a feel for the cars and what to do and not. Hopefully Mark Daddio doesn't show He already went to Boston last week. Erik Streilenkis already did two events.
Old 07-19-2003, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so what are the tips?
Old 07-19-2003, 11:37 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crxchris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so what are the tips?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The tips I've given to everybody is
1) do the slalom practice a lot. Don't bother on braking
2) Braking in these cars kill momentum. Don't brake much. I braked maybe once during the entire run and it was just a tap on the brakes.
3) Shift to 2nd about 2k rpms early as it takes at least that long to shift.
4) Take the chalk talk early and spend more time doing practice.
5) get in line for your runs as the first person so that the 5min. break in between sessions let the falkens cool down.

Go for more cities if you can. I went to charlotte after atlanta although I didn't drive nearly as well there. Still a lot of fun.
Old 07-19-2003, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if anyone else is going to dc let me know so we can meet up
Old 07-19-2003, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Attended Philly's Rev-It-Up

It was a very neat, well organized, and entertaining event IF you were a novice or just there for "fun" as it gave the impression that you were really driving serious sports sedans (as per Mazda press) in a seriously challenging manner...

...But given the size of the course they had coupled with its narrow gates, I found it difficult to really become comfortable with the car... regardless of the ones I drove in practice and the test drive.

As someone who has competed on the Azenis for quite awhile, this was the first time I ever experienced the true dark side of the tire (greasiness) as my last run was in the final run group and they weren't allowing any time (other than driver changes) between the first and second runs... In other words the cars were going for 45 minutes straight!!!

Needless to say, the car pushed like a woman in labor.

Those cars must be looking forward to August 4th... The program ends August 3rd FYI.

Anthony "Mario" Crea
Old 07-19-2003, 06:35 PM
I said I don't want a title!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (honda93)

You think they would have used the BFG G-Force or the Kumho MX to keep everything consistent at temp. The Azenis is absolutely the *wrong* tire to use for 45 minutes of straight autox usage--especially with several novices who I'm sure used the front tires a lot harder than you should have.
Old 07-19-2003, 06:45 PM

Default Re: (Todd00)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Todd00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You think they would have used the BFG G-Force or the Kumho MX to keep everything consistent at temp. The Azenis is absolutely the *wrong* tire to use for 45 minutes of straight autox usage--especially with several novices who I'm sure used the front tires a lot harder than you should have.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Mazda wasn't looking to be terribly fair, as shown by the various "cheating" (press days, different fuel/tire situations, instructors not equalizing after tires heating up, etc) that can go on... They were looking for a sponser who wanted to put up big money, and Falken was it.

The Mazda 6 is absolutely the *WRONG* car to autocross at all ....and that coming from a Mazda fan who only likes the piston powered stuff.
Old 07-19-2003, 08:06 PM
New User

Default Re: (PseudoRealityX)

I had a lot of fun both time I went. for Mazda for doing this.

Old 07-20-2003, 01:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hracer)

Well price wise the BFGs are twice the price of the Azenis. AND by the way did you guys see what they do with the used Azenis? They are tire barriers for the go-karts And some of those tires have lots of tread left - enough to sell on EBAY for some $$$

I forgot to tell you I killed my Mazda6 on my 2nd run. The brakes went out and I couldn't stop So I had to pull it into pits
Old 07-20-2003, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

did you get a re-run?
Old 07-20-2003, 04:52 PM

Default Re: (smokin rubber)

I see mark daddio got bumped out of 1st for the weekend. I was suprised to see this as I think this is the first person who has won that drove on sunday. I am pretty sure all the other winners have driven on saturday before the pro drivers get 1000 runs on course to perfect their runs.
Old 07-20-2003, 05:50 PM

Default Re: (ryan12321)

I had a great time this morning! Like someone else said, it was very well organized and a great overall experience.

I had alot of fun test driving the Miata and protege speed. The event cahnged the way I look a Mazda as a company, but I don't think I would ever buy any of their cars. I hope they do the program again next year! I'll be there for sure if they do! It was the best $40 I ever spent!

FYI, the tires used on the go-cart track were new. They still had stickers on the tread. The go-carts were so much fun!
Old 07-20-2003, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (smokin rubber)

Yeah I got a re-run.

Pat Salerno (another great driver) took over 1st place today and one of our local competitors got 6th. I got bumped to 12th
Old 07-21-2003, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CivicSiRacer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicSiRacer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah I got a re-run.

Pat Salerno (another great driver) took over 1st place today and one of our local competitors got 6th. I got bumped to 12th </TD></TR></TABLE>

Damn I was one spot behind you when I left Saturday. Guess the sunday guys did pretty well.
Old 07-21-2003, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What were everyone's times. The index was a 29.449 when I was running. The Practice course was 19.1. Daddio got a 19.7 and I was happy getting a 20.01 on the practice course so I thought I had a good shot for a top spot.
Old 07-21-2003, 06:42 AM
KC

Pat came in 2nd in Boston, and Daddio improved his showing from Boston by moving up a couple spots.

I believe he'll be in NY, now that he still didn't win.

Someone asked me this earlier and looking at the rules for the event there's nothing saying it cannot happen....

"What happens if a city winner runs in another city and wins there too?"

With NY only a few hours away.... Hehehe.

There's still 2 more events... DC this coming weekend and NY the following weekend. Go and try it. Even if you don't race, it's still a fun day to go and hang out with those you see at the autox every weekend... in a non-competitive environment where you can actually have fun.
Old 07-21-2003, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (KC)

Then that means there are only 19 winners instead of the total of 20.

The PRO TIME for Friday was a 30.382. I got a 32.1 and if I had one more run I would guessing would have had a 31.6 since I was a stupid head and shifted at the 2nd slalom where that prolly killed about 1/2 second on that course. Daddio ran a 31.1 on Friday around 2pm. Whereas I ran around 1:20pm.

The PRO driver overhead me talking to Daddio about shifting this thing and he said once past the 1st slalom you keep it in 2nd since it takes about .2-.5 seconds for the manual shift mode to shift the car. Also holding down the brake and revving the car up to 3000-4000 rpms did help drop about .5-1 second on my times.
Old 07-21-2003, 07:00 AM
KC

I held it at 2K. I dind't want to break the car/torque converter. It didn't sound healthy higher than that.
Old 07-21-2003, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (KC)

Results are up you can search by class, age, and other criteria:

http://www.mazdarevitup.com/re...sp#go
Old 07-21-2003, 07:05 AM

Default Re: my times at the revitup comp

short take:

had fun at the Philly rev it up. haven't autocrossed, not once, since i started road racing with NASA/EMRA in 2000. it showed!

did a 20.3 on the practice course. did a 32.4 on the real course. i felt slow and the clock reflected it....

i saw Salerno run and he looked FAST and the clock showed it...

i think with some more practice beforehand (say 3 or 4 autocrosses with Philly or BMC) i could have done better, but nowhere near Daddio/Salerno, etc.

not walking it really hurts me, too. i was one of the geeks who used to walk the course beforehand like 8-10 times, trying to figure out everything. at revitup, no walking is possible.

i also think that there should be a clause in there that you can only compete at one event; it is bogus that some of the folks that have time/money can travel all over hitting two/three or more revitup events. thats a lot of practice and experience that the "regular" folks don't get.....

if you get a chance, it is a neat thing to do. well put on and lots of seat time; unlimited practice driving, if you don't mind waiting in lines....

and the Mazda 6 was an impressive car to drive, considering its main job in life is picking up kids, getting groceries, etc; not racing around an autocross course!

Quick Reply: Attended the Mazda Rev It Up today.