Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

aluminum duralumin lugnuts woes

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default aluminum duralumin lugnuts woes

Anyone had problems with these coming loose? I heard that aluminum lugnuts tend to loosen by itself especially in high heat.
Old 07-15-2003, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: aluminum duralumin lugnuts woes (EF_LSVtec)

Is this a reoccuring problem or just the first time they were used? On a new or freshly painted wheel?
Old 07-15-2003, 11:23 AM

Do you have anti-seize on your studs? It might help your problem. Or it could be the black paint on your rims.
Old 07-15-2003, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: aluminum duralumin lugnuts woes (sackdz)

happened once...powdercoated wheels (6 mos old), brand new lugnuts (duralumin), bought here on HT...came loose after 2 runs (autox).
Old 07-15-2003, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: aluminum duralumin lugnuts woes (Geratol)

it was a different wheelset and its a good thing it wasnt the RNR's...or i would've been really p*s^ed...
Old 07-15-2003, 11:38 AM

How loose did the lugs become? When my K-1s were new I had all kinds of problems with the lugs getting loose or sometimes too tight. As I wore the paint away they tend to torque more consistently now. Also using anti-seize on the studs should help give a more accurate torque.
Old 07-15-2003, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

torqued to spec correctly and using hubcentric rings? also torqued in the right order? that all makes a difference. never had a duraluminum come off any of my wheels.
Old 07-15-2003, 11:40 AM

make sure the paint around the seat of the wheels is gone. make sure they are good and tight..........torque them a little more than normal...just a bit more. Always check and re-check....... don't tighten them when they are hot ...wait for them to cool down.
Old 07-15-2003, 11:47 AM

my kyokugens were fine (other than the key craps out ) and I didnt even use anti-seize. Not sure if they are 'duralumin' though.

also, make sure you go around the lugnuts twice with the torque wrench. As you tighten them, the wheel snugs down and some lugs may not be as tight as the first go 'round.
Old 07-15-2003, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

all 4 lugs on my 2 front tires came loose...the left side being worse that the wheel actually vibrated so much that it scraped against the rotors and did minor/moderate damage...I had to get the inside of the left wheel resurfaced and repowdercoated. Strange because all lugs were torqued but only the front came loose...I'm ditching the lightweight lugnuts til I can find something that will work better for me.
Old 07-15-2003, 11:56 AM
.RJ

Its because of whatever finish is used on the lug. When the finish wears off (you can fix this before they go on the car) they will hold their torque. I've had this happen on regular OE-style lugnuts too. If the finish doesnt wear at all, then there probably wont be a problem.
Old 07-15-2003, 11:59 AM

My last thought is that maybe the wheels you had them on have a different seat then the lugs? I know the lugs have a taper design and perhaps the wheel had a acorn seat? Other then that I'm out of ideas. Bring the lugs with you to Marina this weekend (if your going), I would like to take a look at them.
Old 07-15-2003, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: aluminum duralumin lugnuts woes (Geratol)

I'll bring em (along with your stuff)... also, I remember one of the tech inspectors telling me that they loosened and inspected one of my lugnuts (one on each side), while i was walking the track, but replaced and torqued each one. I never rechecked em though...Would this cause them to come loose? I'm all out of ideas as well because the rears kept their torque and only the front ones came loose...I was probably sabotaged, hehehe...
Old 07-15-2003, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

maybe someone else can confirm this, but doesn the torque specs change since the lugnut is no longer steel? not sure if it would be higher or greater, but maybe this is somewhat of an issue.

but i have the real solution for you, ditch the alum lugnuts and buy some real ones at any tire store.
Old 07-15-2003, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: aluminum duralumin lugnuts woes (Tyson)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tyson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">but i have the real solution for you, ditch the alum lugnuts and buy some real ones at any tire store.</TD></TR></TABLE> HAHA, I know, I'm keeping my gorillas
Old 07-15-2003, 01:18 PM

Default Re: aluminum duralumin lugnuts woes

Another thought is that your torque wrench might be off. Next time you torque your lug nuts double check them with someone else's torque wrench.

I think we use the same lug nuts but mine have never come loose on me before. Well, not entirely true, I did forget to torque them on the way home once. Oops, did I really admit to that?
Old 07-15-2003, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

NO personal experience but aluminum lugnuts seem like bad mojo.

K
Old 07-15-2003, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: aluminum duralumin lugnuts woes (Knestis)

duraluminum lugs kick ***.
Old 07-15-2003, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: aluminum duralumin lugnuts woes (vactor)

Yeah - I'll bet I could feel the difference in handling the first time I got to an onramp...

Old 07-16-2003, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: aluminum duralumin lugnuts woes (Knestis)

we've been running daiyama lugs on a few cars with no trouble. i dont have a set cause i have steelies. but the daiyama are good. i think people have problems with lugs backing off when the lug seating area isn't correct for the wheel. we had a guy loose a wheel cause the lugs were wrong and they went through the wheel!
Old 07-16-2003, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EF_LSVtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Anyone had problems with these coming loose? </TD></TR></TABLE>
Nope.

Old 07-16-2003, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: aluminum duralumin lugnuts woes (Willard)

stuNNA lugZ
Old 07-16-2003, 02:36 PM

Default Re: aluminum duralumin lugnuts woes (Doctor CorteZ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Doctor CorteZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">stuNNA lugZ </TD></TR></TABLE>

Doood, sTuNNaz use LugZ whit Blu liTez ThAt gO bLInX bLInX aNd WhiZZle WHiLE U DriVZ.... YO!
Old 07-16-2003, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EF_LSVtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'll bring em (along with your stuff)... also, I remember one of the tech inspectors telling me that they loosened and inspected one of my lugnuts (one on each side), while i was walking the track, but replaced and torqued each one. I never rechecked em though...Would this cause them to come loose? I'm all out of ideas as well because the rears kept their torque and only the front ones came loose...I was probably sabotaged, hehehe...</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's weird. I have never heard of tech inspectors EVER EVER adjusting someone else's car. I would never do it as a tech inspector. I might give advice or not pass a car but i would leave it to the driver to work on his car and especially torque his own wheels.

Having mistakenly taken to the course without torqued wheels I would say that is where your problem lies. Not with the nut material. But you were there and only you can know how sure you are that they were ever torqued properly.
Old 07-16-2003, 02:37 PM
.RJ

Default Re: aluminum duralumin lugnuts woes (00R101)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 00R101 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That's weird. I have never heard of tech inspectors EVER EVER adjusting someone else's car. I would never do it as a tech inspector. I might give advice or not pass a car but i would leave it to the driver to work on his car and especially torque his own wheels.</TD></TR></TABLE>

We did for 'hyperfest' at beaverun. You'd be suprised how many cars had 'loose' lugnuts. I just did a spot check on 1 or two wheels usually...

Quick Reply: aluminum duralumin lugnuts woes