Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

A BIG thanks to CRX Lee

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A BIG thanks to CRX Lee

Those of you who weren't at the July 4 weekend Hyperfest at Summit Point missed out on a rare opportunity. Our own CRX Lee, of KONI North America, was there to share his years of wisdom and excellent advice. He also gave informative suspension seminars for newbies and experienced folks alike.

Not only that...Lee spent time watching the cars on the bumpy parts of the track, to see how they were behaving. He'd then come to the driver and tell them how the car looked...and if the car didn't look right, he had good suggestions for improving it. I was paddocked with Ron Spencer (thecaptain) and while I hesitate to speak for him, I think Ron was well pleased with the recommendations Lee offered.

Big, well-earned to Lee at KONI. We really appreciate it!
Old 07-07-2003, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm a little mad that I missed this, but that's part of working... Perhaps had I attended (or if I wasn't on a very tight budget) I would have bought Konis rather than the KYB AGX'rs that I just ordered 2 hours ago

Thanks for showing up Lee! I heard the seminar was great!
Old 07-07-2003, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (JMU1337)

This guy made some very objective comments. I think He definitley knows what he is talking about.

thanks again CRX LEE!

Alex.
KRM.

Old 07-07-2003, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (kingrat)

Agreed! Thanks, Lee! Now if I could only remember what you told me.

Modified by Balled S2K at 4:34 PM 7/7/2003
Old 07-07-2003, 12:17 PM

Default Re: A BIG thanks to CRX Lee (krshultz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by krshultz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not only that...Lee spent time watching the cars on the bumpy parts of the track, to see how they were behaving. He'd then come to the driver and tell them how the car looked...</TD></TR></TABLE>
Hmm... Wonder what he thought of me?
Old 07-07-2003, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A BIG thanks to CRX Lee (XR4racer)

Yes, Thanks Lee, sorry for drilling you w/ my setup questions in the classroom, but your insight was very helpful..
Old 07-07-2003, 12:42 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by XR4racer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Hmm... Wonder what he thought of me? </TD></TR></TABLE>

after sat's race, Lee came over to my truck, where i was recovering. he opened up with something along these lines "good driving in that race. but i noticed you have the worst handling car on the track..... its moving in 3 different axis while cornering. quite interesting!" after 15 minutes of talking; me asking questions and him answering as best he could, we came up with some things to try setup wise for sun's practice session. not once did he try to sell me something, etc (ha ha. you guys know me and i am just about the HARDEST sell there is!). he just gave very informed answers and tried to help. mega to Lee!

and he shaved off more than a second off my lap time on Sun. with just shock adjustments. its still far from "perfect" but he helped ALOT.

thanx Lee!

for anyone out there contemplating buying susp. components, do yourself a favor and talk to Lee. he can steer you in the right direction!
Old 07-07-2003, 01:29 PM
Wrong-Way Wang

I was so busy messing around, or worrying about my car that I didn't even realize CRX Lee was even there I didn't even know there was a classroom session. Doh.

Warren
Old 07-07-2003, 02:41 PM

Default Re: A BIG thanks to CRX Lee (Warren)

Karl is quite correct. Lee was a BIG help. What a great guy. Like Karl said Lee would go out to the 6/7/8/9 complex and watch the cars and then offer his insite on what he saw and what adjustments might be done to make the car better. I spent a bit of time with him and he suggested a number of changes to my car. Lets see, change front and rear shock settings and set the rear bar to full stiff. Oh yeah, lets throw in disconnecting the front bar just for fun!

Indeed lots of changes but the car got faster and felt better through out the weekend. Even though I was off the times for the H4 pack I am pleased with the car since this was my first trip to SP with this car.

Lee, thanks for all your help and congrats to everyone who won on Sat and Sunday. Karl and I stayed for the start on Sunday and we both agreed it is QUITE the show!

Old 07-07-2003, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A BIG thanks to CRX Lee (Todd Reid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Todd Reid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">after sat's race, Lee came over to my truck
and he shaved off more than a second off my lap time on Sun. with just shock adjustments. its still far from "perfect" but he helped ALOT.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

See...that's the thing. He's trying to help us, and not just his existing KONI customers. Very cool in my book - great to meet one of the "good guys" in person.
Old 07-07-2003, 04:54 PM

Is cloning a reality yet? We need a Grimes guru out here in the west...

(Bill Gates just doesn't understand grassrooots racing)

Greg ~ a BIG Koni fan
Old 07-07-2003, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the kind words guys, I had a good time meeting lots of folks although I am still trying to sort out some screen names to real names, cars, etc. and am sorry I missed some of the folks who were working, instructing or so busy working on broken cars that I didn't want to butt in.

Being able to sit on the sidelines and specifically watch for how the cars are doing allows me the one perspective that a driver never gets to see...himself on track. In many ways this makes it easier for me to help others with their cars than it is for me to tune my own. Although I hope to have developed some refined "feel", I have never gotten to watch myself race.

Since I have been around a bit and hopefully understand a bit, I am happy to pitch in if I think I can help out whether you are using KONIs or not. You can ask anyone I talked to, I didn't tell anyone "You need to buy KONIs". In fact I told one person that his car was doing well enough now that he should for now spend his shock revalving money elsewhere that will make him faster. I admit being a little nervous approaching a few people whom I didn't know at first and chatting them up but I figured most racers want to know what will make their set-ups better, easier to drive, etc. Honestly Todd, I didn't tell you that your car was the worst handling in that section (although it was) until we had established a report and you had admitted already that it was pretty bad first. And our several chats did make some real headway I think. In doing this I take the risk of being seen as the pushy salesman but I'd never walk up to someone and say "Hi, your car sucks. Buy KONIs".

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by XR4racer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Hmm... Wonder what he thought of me? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Which car were you? There was no XR4ti there, I'm guessing one of the yellow Integras but not sure. Generally if there was something really noteworthy (for good or bad) or if I had specifically met you before, then I tended to talk if I felt I could help. I watched the both HC quals. and races watching the T7-9 section (fast, bumpy, hard on the power so it was a good measure of suspension) and generally paid a fair amount of attention so if you ran, feel free to ask if you are interested.

Glad I made the trip, bummed I didn't have one of my toys there although the heat was so bad better that I didn't. You guys did a good job of driving and a good jobs of managing yourselves personally. It is good to see guys know when too much is too much and know when not to push themselves farther. Although I had raced when it was hotter in degrees, the heat/humidity and stale, still air made it worse overall than I have driven in. Lucky for me, I regulary took refuge int eh air conditioned classroom this weekend.

The fires are burning in me again and it is time to get back to work on my racecar.
Old 07-07-2003, 05:10 PM
New User

Default Re: A BIG thanks to CRX Lee (CRX Lee)

Hey Lee, I was the 4 door dark blue Accord? What did you see in my car?

Morgan - who thinks he already knows the answer to this question
Old 07-07-2003, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It was great finally meeting you Lee, and laughing at the drifters with you as well. I don't know what happened to you during the roll over contest, but hopefully you got a ride back to the paddock instead of having to walk it! I really appreciated your advice about my spring rates, and I did go ahead and crank up those rear shocks like you suggested, and of course it worked. It's nice to know that you are as nice in person as you were online back when I first got my CRX and you (and your wife) helped me out so much then.

Matt
Old 07-07-2003, 05:20 PM

I agree Karl. Lee and his expertise on suspension tuning was a BIG plus for me. He was precise and informative yet not condescending. He spoke so you could understand what he meant and you could visualize his advice...............Thanks very much Lee.
Old 07-07-2003, 05:41 PM

Default Re: A BIG thanks to CRX Lee (urbanlegend21)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by urbanlegend21 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey Lee, I was the 4 door dark blue Accord? What did you see in my car?

Morgan - who thinks he already knows the answer to this question</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ummm, and the #38 CRX too. The yellow 2nd gen. Easy to spot. Always out there alone behind everybody. Help!
Old 07-07-2003, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A BIG thanks to CRX Lee (urbanlegend21)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by urbanlegend21 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey Lee, I was the 4 door dark blue Accord? What did you see in my car?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

The only 4 door I specificly recall was the Green (driver name) car that hung out in the JE Motorsports paddock area but I thought I recalled it as an Integra. I do seem to recall seeing an Accord roll out of the pits on Sat. morning qualifying and thinking "Hmm, an Accord" but I don't recall it later at all. Was I having heat stroke that the 4 door Integra was really an Accord? I tried to wander the paddock a fair amount but may have simply missed you. I watched all the HC sessions but saw almost none of the other sessions (did meet Grandpa on the grid Sunday but never even saw his car move on track).

Modified by CRX Lee at 3:21 AM 7/8/2003
Old 07-07-2003, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: A BIG thanks to CRX Lee (Geezer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would have bought Konis rather than the KYB AGX'rs that I just ordered 2 hours ago </TD></TR></TABLE>

I just ditched my front AGXs for shortened Konis. One word: Holyshitaretheyfantastic! They aren't even custom valved or anything.

Seriously, I'm upset is "wasted" 3 years with those AGXs. I still have them on the back though. I really like the feel of the Konis over the AGXs, which IMO offer sub-par bump performance. Always felt "giggly" to me.
Old 07-07-2003, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Geezer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Ummm, and the #38 CRX too. The yellow 2nd gen. Easy to spot. Always out there alone behind everybody. Help!</TD></TR></TABLE>

That one I saw for sure as I have a certain soft spot for yellow CRXs and think I have probably owned the majority that were built (not really but at least 5 is various condition). I'll IM you (not bad, just need to know more).
Old 07-07-2003, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Geezer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Ummm, and the #38 CRX too. The yellow 2nd gen. Easy to spot. Always out there alone behind everybody. Help!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Get a swap
Old 07-07-2003, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A BIG thanks to CRX Lee (MaddMatt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MaddMatt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I just ditched my front AGXs for shortened Konis. One word: Holyshitaretheyfantastic! They aren't even custom valved or anything.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for already making me regret my purchase These shocks are only temporary until I finally build the car up, I figure I'll get some decent money back when I replace them a few years down the line so I don't think they'll be a total waste. Hell, anything is better than what I have now, I bounce around so much on the harsh corners that I can't put any power down
Old 07-07-2003, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi CRX Lee, sorry I didn't get to meet you, but spent most of the weekend trying to get the car out on the track.

Mine was the #59 Burgundy and White (ex Grand AM Cup) Type R. Was only able to run in the Sunday Qualifying session, and in the Sunday practice with the Spec Mita and 944 Cup cars.

Did you happen to notice anything about this cars handling? If so I would love to know what you saw.

Thanks, Frank DePew
Old 07-08-2003, 04:42 AM

Default Re: A BIG thanks to CRX Lee (JMU1337)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JMU1337 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Get a swap </TD></TR></TABLE>

No. That would be the EASY way.
Old 07-08-2003, 04:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No. That would be the EASY way. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Not Knocking Jerry at all, however Jon Marhefka was showing everyone what a H4 CRX can do... I mean he only qualife 7th or so... and he was caryring so much speed out of 10, that few cars that passed him were not able to do it till they go to the end of one, and most of them had to do it again on the next lap

Lee it was great to meet, you I wish I would have had the chance to talk to you more... but I have your card now hahahehehehahah
Old 07-08-2003, 07:37 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRX Lee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Which car were you? There was no XR4ti there, I'm guessing one of the yellow Integras but not sure.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yep, I leave the XR4Ti at home for the Honda-Challenge races... actually it's been a while since I tracked that car. I drive the Yellow #77 ITR (link in my sig). I started 30th or 31st on Saturday, and finished 10th overall (3rd in H2). Finished 11th overall Sunday(but 4th in class).

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRX Lee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Generally if there was something really noteworthy (for good or bad) or if I had specifically met you before, then I tended to talk if I felt I could help. I watched the both HC quals. and races watching the T7-9 section (fast, bumpy, hard on the power so it was a good measure of suspension) and generally paid a fair amount of attention so if you ran, feel free to ask if you are interested.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Sure, I understand... only wish I had known you were there. I've seen your posts here before, and I'm always interested in hearing what the experts have to say about my setup. Would've liked to chat with you while we were there. Let me know if you remember thinking anything in particular about my setup. Glad you had a good time, and I hope I'll see you at some future races.

Quick Reply: A BIG thanks to CRX Lee