Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Project Miata begins....

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2003, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project Miata begins....

welp.....i can't turn back now. the interior has began to be stripped (which caused numerous perplexed neighbors to wander over and ask, "WTF are you doing?" i know there are some other Spec Miata guys on here (Mark i'm looking in your direction ), so i thought i'd use this as a rollcall of sorts. please if you are building or have a SM, please list your height and weight, as the frame of a 6'3'' 225lb former linebacker doesn't fit easily.

anyway.....what's a H-T thread w/out pictures?

clean vs dirty

this stuff sucks to get out

not a race car w/out a sticker
Old 07-06-2003, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Project Miata begins.... (tnord)

I don't know what you cage plans are but a friend of mine - also 6'3" - did a lot of research to find a weld-in kit that would fit his bod. He ended up using the one from 7s Only (I think) in the Sonoma, CA area. It seems pretty well thought out. Let me know by email if you want contact information.

Kirk (who really doesn't care for SM but is willing to help out a fellow racer)
Old 07-06-2003, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Project Miata begins.... (Knestis)

thanks kirk......i appreciate the help. i would love his contact information. as of right now i'm planning on using a modified version of the autopower cage that seems to allow a bit more seatback angle. i'm pretty much just gonna have to build the cage around whatever seat fits me. i'm also gonna need a small "D" wheel to provide more clearance for my knees.

just outa curiosity.......why do you not care for SM?
Old 07-06-2003, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I sent him an email asking for that info and will send it along when it comes. I've been thinking about this question and, although it sounds silly Miatas aren't "racing cars" to my way of thinking.

They are "sports cars" and I entered racing at a point in history when racing "sports cars" were all smoky, British or Italian crap Production cars. All of the really interesting stuff was happening around sedans and hatchbacks - in rallying and road racing, both - so when I think "racing car," I picture something with a roof and a back seat.

I also have a fundamental dislike for one-marque classes, all other things being equal. There you go.

Kirk
Old 07-06-2003, 01:55 PM
Banned

Location: at last finally back to sweet home, sunny north cali, usa

7's only is located at buttonwillow raceway. that's near bakersfield in central cali. their cage is very nice and well priced!

Old 07-06-2003, 01:57 PM
Banned

Location: at last finally back to sweet home, sunny north cali, usa

"I also have a fundamental dislike for one-marque classes, all other things being equal. There you go."

must be something about the rules are the same for the classes; not enough variety for ya. JFWF.
Old 07-06-2003, 02:15 PM

Default Re: Project Miata begins....

Lookin good so far travis

Hopefully my SM project will start this winter

Maybe mark will post some pics of his SM to be...tho he seems to have dropped off the face of the earth

Edit: is that the tow vehicle I see in the background?

Modified by DSC240sx at 2:00 AM 7/7/2003
Old 07-06-2003, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Project Miata begins.... (DSC240sx)

curious if you need to get rid some some interior parts. a friend of mine has a miata (not SM, just daily driver) and is looking. let me know what parts you have for sale.

thanx
Old 07-06-2003, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Project Miata begins.... (baonest)

i haven't thrown away anything but the carpet and insulation yet, so i still have most everything. if your friend needs something, i'd love to sell it to him for a small fee, just lemme know what he needs.
Old 07-07-2003, 05:36 AM

Haven't dropped off the face of the earth and haven't built a SM -- yet. Home and overpriced piece of old coal are priorities right now. Car will be for track days until I have time and money to build it.

When I do trade the bar for a cage, I'll go custom built. That is the only way that the locations and angles can be matched for your specific sitting/driving needs.
Old 07-07-2003, 05:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks great Tnord! Post more pics as you progress.

Good to see you guys (DSC, Hippo)
Old 07-07-2003, 07:17 AM
r2x

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> or have a SM, please list your height and weight </TD></TR></TABLE>

Not sure how this'll help, but I'm 5'8" and about 150 or so lbs. I'm also a girl, so I don't know if that makes it even more unhelpful. Good luck with your SM. I love mine.

Diane
Old 07-07-2003, 09:49 AM

Default Re: Project Miata begins.... (r2x)

R2X...how you doin?

Ok back to the topic...having built one SM and helped build others here are a few suggestions. For you size I would suggest gutting the drivers door and pushing the door bars as far as you can into the door...this will give you plenty of elbow room. If your regional rules allow cutting into the OEM door bar..do it. So a custome cage would be ideal for your size.
Also it will be a must for you to get a steering wheel extenstion. This can be made out of aluminum by a machine shop. Attach this extension to your steering wheel hub. This will bring the steering wheel closer to you plus give you space for your knees. You will have to have a removal steering wheel as well. The "D" shaped steering wheel will not help out considering your knees will be to the side of the steering wheel not directly below the wheel.

That is my 2cents....

Scott Fredricksen
Old 07-07-2003, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tnord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so i thought i'd use this as a rollcall of sorts. please if you are building or have a SM, please list your height and weight</TD></TR></TABLE>

I got a '91 a few months ago that I am *slowly* turning into a SM (see link below.) I am 6' and roughly 240 pounds.

As-is, the car has a Hard Dog rollbar ("hard core hard top" version, i.e. the tallest one they make, almost the same height as a custom SM cage from the few measurements I've taken), harness, and stock seat. With helmet on, I am within half an inch of being too tall to safely track the car. Therefore I doubt I will track it again until it's caged, etc.

So I have found a reputable cage fabricator in NC with SM and IT experience. I have also been looking for a hard-top that doesn't cost $1000+ (with no luck I might add.) I am going to use a Kirkey seat with a custom floor mount to get me low enough in the car to be comfortable and safe.

As for width, I agree with the post about gutting the driver door and dishing-out the NASCAR door bar on that side for some extra "width"... as well as safety of course.

Anyway- good luck to you!!!

Jon
Old 07-07-2003, 10:30 AM
r2x

Default Re: Project Miata begins.... (getfast)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by getfast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the car has a Hard Dog rollbar ("hard core hard top" version, i.e. the tallest one they make, almost the same height as a custom SM cage from the few measurements I've taken) </TD></TR></TABLE>

Jon - Unless something's changed, the hard-top version of the Hard Dog is actually the *shortest* of the bars since it is set back farther from the driver to accomidate the "little clippy things" that hold the hard top down just behind the door. This makes the bar considerably lower than my HDHCDD (hard dog, hard core, double diag.). I run a hard top on my car with no problems on clearance with the bar, but I am unable to install the clippy things behind the doors inside the car to further latch the top down. Luckily, I've never had the top even pretend to want to fly off.

Now, before everyone else decides to tell me that I have to have it bolted in all 6 places for SM, I know this. My racecar has the top bolted in in all the appropriate places. The above talks about my street car.
Old 07-07-2003, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by r2x &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Jon - Unless something's changed, the hard-top version of the Hard Dog is actually the *shortest* of the bars since it is set back farther from the driver to accomidate the "little clippy things" that hold the hard top down just behind the door. This makes the bar considerably lower than my HDHCDD (hard dog, hard core, double diag.). I run a hard top on my car with no problems on clearance with the bar, but I am unable to install the clippy things behind the doors inside the car to further latch the top down. Luckily, I've never had the top even pretend to want to fly off.</TD></TR></TABLE>

See this is why I love having smarter people around, thanks r2x!

The measurements I took were from a 93 with "the same bar you've got, hard core hard top version" according to its owner, and stock seats/hardtop. The main hoop was within 1/2" of the inside of the hardtop. So I sat in it without a helmet and was below the main hoop but not by much. That was how I based my premise, since most comparable custom cages I've seen have had about that much space to the top as well.

In retrospect... perhaps the owner of that car was mistaken about which bar he had in it, since if it's the shortest, it wouldn't be that close to the hardtop... correct? But when I strap into mine without a helmet, my head is also still below the main hoop, just like in that 93. So maybe mine isn't a hard top version after all?

Now I'm all curious, and would love to test-fit a hardtop onto mine to see what the actual height is... Thanks r2x, I'm more confused now than I was before

Jon
ps- it doesn't really matter, it'll be caged before I track it again, hopefully for licensing in the fall and this Hard Dog will be ebay'd...

Old 07-07-2003, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tnord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">... version of the autopower cage</TD></TR></TABLE>

FYI, the autopower uses the tubing thickness for the car as it would weigh in SSB.
I believe that you may use a thinner walled tubing at the SM/ITA weights (I oculd be wrong here, check the GCR).

This made a noticable weight difference in two of the SMs that RP Performance has assembled. The custom-caged car had petty bars, gussets, etc and still weighed less than the Autopowered car (which had a custom door bar, but the rest was 100% Autopower).
Old 07-07-2003, 11:25 AM
r2x

Default Re: Project Miata begins.... (getfast)

The difference isn't in the space between the hardtop and the bar, it's in how far behind the driver the bar is. The hard top bar sits inches back further than the hard core does (which is why it has to be shorter... the slope of the roof that much farther back). To tell what you have, look for the following:

(1) Are their "clippy things" on the sides of the car behind the door that look like the "clippy things" behind the sunvisors that clip the soft top down at the top of the windshiled? Is their space to have the big part clip in there. If yes, you have a hard-top bar since the "regular" one won't clear those "clippy things".

(2) If no, is there room for the "clippy things" in front (towards the engine side) of the hoop? If yes, you have the hard top bar. If no, you probably have the regular bar.

I'm guessing you have the regular bar if you're under it in a stock seat (no foam removed) without a helmet on.

I could most likely look at it and tell if you have some pictures... and care that much.
Old 07-07-2003, 11:35 AM

Word of the day: Clippy things
Old 07-07-2003, 11:50 AM
r2x

Default Re: Project Miata begins.... (bulldog_RS20)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bulldog_RS20 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Word of the day: Clippy things
</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's a technical term.

r2x ~ who'd love to know if they have a real name what it is...
Old 07-07-2003, 12:25 PM

Clippy things works for me -- although I might add "side clippy things" to distinguish them from the top or header clippy things.

At any rate, Jon -- Here's a pic of my car w/ HDHC-HT. Note how far back it is, but also how relatively low it is. Basically, with the seat all the way back, the HDHC-HT makes a nice headrest for someone 6'4"

Old 07-07-2003, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Project Miata begins.... (HippoSleek)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HippoSleek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">At any rate, Jon -- Here's a pic of my car w/ HDHC-HT. Note how far back it is, but also how relatively low it is. Basically, with the seat all the way back, the HDHC-HT makes a nice headrest for someone 6'4"</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's gotta be what I've got, it looks very similar:

(elgorey's pic of his 6'-2"-ish self, test-fitting in my car, with my big *** Bieffe)

Jon
Old 07-07-2003, 12:46 PM

Default Re: Project Miata begins.... (HippoSleek)

Everybody is building Miatas!
Im with Mark though, until I have some $$ and some time, the car will just be for HPDE. See link in profile for (rather boring at this point) progress.
I am 6'3" as well, and after a little bit of "getting used to it" I am actually pretty comfortable in the car. (whereas before I would get knee and ankle pain from cramming my legs in there)
Dont worry too much about the steering wheel, with a lower seat, 330mm wheel, and quick release, your knees will have plenty of room to clear
Old 07-07-2003, 01:31 PM
YodaIsGod

Default Re: Project Miata begins.... (elgorey)

good luck on the Project Miata! Wish I could start one...but alas....I'll be starting Project Neon. My wife's old car. So what if it's a 3-speed auto! Parts are cheap, plentiful, and a decent handling car.

*the Grassroots 2003 Challenge has inspired me once again!*
Old 07-07-2003, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Project Miata begins.... (YodaIsGod)

Information on the 7's Only cage can be found at...

http://www.sevensonly.com/7s%2...e.pdf

I understand that the dash bar installation was a fright - it goes inside the dash? - but that the completed deal is pretty nice.

Have fun!

Kirk

Quick Reply: Project Miata begins....