Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

rhd, is it worth it in a daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 01:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rhd, is it worth it in a daily driver?

I'm a sucker for RHD, mainly because it adds a weird unique twist to the car, plus I drove some RHD cars in south africa and it was tons of fun.

Does anyone on here have one? I'm wondering if it's worth it in the states, because of the different traffic system. Is it a major pain being on the right, or just a quirk you get used to?
Old 07-04-2010, 03:03 AM
pm4nudes

Default Re: rhd, is it worth it in a daily driver?

Bought one for a weekend car awhile back. Got used to it but imo it only appeals to the general public and is only useful if you drive it often as in dd. Just imagine driving a slammed civic for awhile then jumping into a full size truck.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

makes drive thrus a bitch
Old 07-04-2010, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

drive thru & toll bridges :[
Old 07-04-2010, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I never go through drive-thrus for anything, so I can't imagine that being a problem. someone said left turns at traffic lights is a little more dangerous because of your view angle to the oncoming cars. I think i could get used to it.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

passing on 2 lane roads/highways may be fun...
Old 07-04-2010, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Cynical 1
passing on 2 lane roads/highways may be fun...
It's a pain in the *** when your on the wrong side of the car. I usually only do it if I have a spotter riding shotgun or if hit a curve where I can see around.

Turns are no problem, round-a-bouts are a little tougher but managable.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ND40oz, just curious, do you have an RHD or have you owned one before? I drove rhd in south africa, and it was fun once I got the hang of it. Then again their roads are swapped to match
Old 07-04-2010, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HarborGate
ND40oz, just curious, do you have an RHD or have you owned one before? I drove rhd in south africa, and it was fun once I got the hang of it. Then again their roads are swapped to match
I have LHD vehicles in the UK, so it's pretty much the same thing, just swapped over. We drive on the left hand side here, like SA or Japan.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

on the contrary i used to love going drive troughs in reverse.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hmmm so no "deal-breakers" with RHD (or lhd on opposite roads). I think I may go for it...just for the looks on peoples faces :-P
Old 07-04-2010, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you cant see **** on some left turns, just means you have to wait for a green arrow or for the car opposite or in front of you to gtfo of the way. thats the only real inconvienent thing to me. even with a passenger i dont trust their judement.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

still worth it just to be able to give people the stink-eye at stoplights ;-)
Old 07-04-2010, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

i think its worth it, i have owned and coverted 4 of mine and i love it. everyone has there own opinion on rhd so dont base it off anyones opinion but instead if its something ou want to do then do it. i had no problems going through drive thru's you figure if you sitting on the left side for the brief few seconds you may have to take off your seat belt and lean over to pay or get your bag people notice you on the other side so they tend to help out a lil more and they are so tripped out they dont mind just to get a look at the car being its so odd. so basically if your arm can reach your passenger side door then you good and they will do the rest which is not much. that seems to be a big complaint about rhd's when i dont see myself really going threw them that often to complain about it.

it is alot of attention and the main thing i got it for, its different and worth it. i nevr have problems with left hand turns, true they are more dangerous but i have never had a problem with them. its just a personal opinion to all and i dont think or hate people if they dont like it or if they do...theres alot of things people do to cars that make no sense and some things do.

another thing is lot wont do it cause of what it cost to convert so they woudl rather put that money to better uses which i do understand and back up thosee people but the only difference is i do the work myself and iits not hack work i completly remove the firewall from the spot welds and swap walls and re-weld in same places and weld all around the whole seem for the wall so parts total with clip cost me about 500 and takes me about a week to do.

if you have any questons in regaurds to rhd then hit me up
Old 07-04-2010, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by b20vtecturbe
i think its worth it, i have owned and coverted 4 of mine and i love it. everyone has there own opinion on rhd so dont base it off anyones opinion but instead if its something ou want to do then do it. i had no problems going through drive thru's you figure if you sitting on the left side for the brief few seconds you may have to take off your seat belt and lean over to pay or get your bag people notice you on the other side so they tend to help out a lil more and they are so tripped out they dont mind just to get a look at the car being its so odd. so basically if your arm can reach your passenger side door then you good and they will do the rest which is not much. that seems to be a big complaint about rhd's when i dont see myself really going threw them that often to complain about it.

it is alot of attention and the main thing i got it for, its different and worth it. i nevr have problems with left hand turns, true they are more dangerous but i have never had a problem with them. its just a personal opinion to all and i dont think or hate people if they dont like it or if they do...theres alot of things people do to cars that make no sense and some things do.

another thing is lot wont do it cause of what it cost to convert so they woudl rather put that money to better uses which i do understand and back up thosee people but the only difference is i do the work myself and iits not hack work i completly remove the firewall from the spot welds and swap walls and re-weld in same places and weld all around the whole seem for the wall so parts total with clip cost me about 500 and takes me about a week to do.

if you have any questons in regaurds to rhd then hit me up
thanks b20vtecturbe, that's exactly what i was looking for. you've got first-hand experience. It's just something I always thought would be cool, not to be "jdm" or anything, but just because it's a unique thing to have on a car, and makes people look (and think) twice.

The thing is, I'm buying a pre-modded car when I get home (suitably checked out) and it seems like I can have either a) turbo or b) rhd, but not both. I guess I'll have to choose :-P

how much does it cost, btw, to convert one? assuming you pay a shop.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 77777
on the contrary i used to love going drive troughs in reverse.
**** made my morning