Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

The Official Formula 1 2017 Season Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 09:47 AM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: The Official Formula 1 2017 Season Thread

Originally Posted by falcongsr
still odd to me to see booze ads all over cars.
Why
Old 06-28-2017, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bluuu
Eh. I think in this case Lewis was in full-"Fck Vettel. Fck Ferrari. Fck the FIA as a staff, racing body and as a motherfcking crew. And if you want to be down with Vettel, fck you too," sort of mode. This would align with that.
going straight to sig...

Originally Posted by 1158
I agree and I would say the same thing if it was Ferrari or RB or McHonda. I just don't like those kind of games. I don't even like it when teammates are told to allow the other car past. An exception I can at least stomach is if the front car has an issue or the trailing car is on a different strategy, but even then I think the trailing car should earn it. I realize its part of F1, doesn't mean I have to like it.

I think the thing here though is that HAM has stated in the past he doesn't like or need to use team orders.
didn't MB ask Ros to get the **** out of the way for Ham in Monaco last year? pretty sure Ham didn't pass Ros without team order.

still odd to me to see booze ads all over cars.
would you rather see tobacco ads?

and the drama continues

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...errari-924519/
Old 06-28-2017, 09:55 AM
------------

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TFW I've made it big.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Context is important. Team orders = letting a one driver past when both cars are on same strategy. Other teams do this explicitly.

Merc hasn't had to do it when it's just their two drivers racing against each other for the WDC. Mclaren didn't do it explicitly that I can recall.

In this case he was asking if BOT could back into VET, not asking the team to have BOT slow down so he can pass both.

He has asked to pass teammates when he was on different strategies in the past. He's also ignored team requests to let teammates past.
I understand what HAM was asking, I'm just saying I'm not a fan of any driver interfering for another driver. I know it happens all the time and is part of F1. I just am not a fan of it.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Tobacco ads would be nice. I think the absence of *** ads helped IndyCar's downward spiral. I think the reasoning in banning *** ads on race cars (the backdoor/loophole to advertising on TV) was that fast cars are cool, and kids will smoke to be cool. But then alcohol sponsorships are still on race cars and no one is bitching about associating alcohol with fast cars.

I don't smoke and Penske and McLaren didn't make me want to smoke. But maybe that's why I'm not Kool.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:33 AM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by BauleyCivic
Why
cause i grew up with MADD i guess.

as soon as we get self-driving cars it will be so great cause we can go drink at the bar and not worry about getting home
Old 06-28-2017, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

For those contemplating about experiencing first hand how overrated the Gearbox Melt is.
Indycar Racing News | Racer.com - Road America to bring back $100 IndyCar ticket
Old 06-28-2017, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Outrun
Tobacco ads would be nice. I think the absence of *** ads helped IndyCar's downward spiral. I think the reasoning in banning *** ads on race cars (the backdoor/loophole to advertising on TV) was that fast cars are cool, and kids will smoke to be cool. But then alcohol sponsorships are still on race cars and no one is bitching about associating alcohol with fast cars.

I don't smoke and Penske and McLaren didn't make me want to smoke. But maybe that's why I'm not Kool.
Breaking news F1 team to be sponsored by Encyclopedia Britannica and Websters

I wonder how the rise of the web and social media has impacted sponsorship dollars in motor racing. I'd guess views per dollar spent is better with FB/Twitter than on the side of a race car.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:45 AM
eight equals equals equals D

Received 99 Likes on 83 Posts

Marlboro's sponsorship did entice me somewhat to switch from Camels to Marlboros...when I still smoked.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:51 AM
What is this crap?

yeah i smoked bennetons in the mid 90s
Old 06-28-2017, 12:11 PM
What is this crap?

Originally Posted by Mark Webber in 2009
I can see why Seb's popular. He's normally polite, got a sense of humour, and smiles a lot, but if things go wrong... mate, when it comes to throwing toys out of the pram, I've never seen anyone like him.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:15 PM
eight equals equals equals D

Received 99 Likes on 83 Posts

tough luck
Old 06-28-2017, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1158
Breaking news F1 team to be sponsored by Encyclopedia Britannica and Websters

I wonder how the rise of the web and social media has impacted sponsorship dollars in motor racing. I'd guess views per dollar spent is better with FB/Twitter than on the side of a race car.
Totally different level of racing, but it was explained to me by a Pirelli World Challenge team owner that the "Business-to-business" benefit of sponsorship is much more important to sponsors then having your name on the side of car or the shoulder of a driver. I've often wondered that in the past - you see some tiny logo on the end plate of a front wing or something and thing "How much did they spend on that, and how do you convince anyone that is worth anything?"

like this:

How much did intel pay to get their name buried in a front wing element? And who at CNN thinks that this is going to do anything for them?

Well, as this team owner explained it me, that's not the big appeal (and surely even less at his level)

This team owner had Dell as a sponsor on their Lotus for a few seasons. Sure, some people watch World Challenge Races on TV, and a few go to the race, but... Dell doesn't really care about that. What they DID like was the trackside suite that the team had set up for them.

This exclusive track side suite was setup with food, drink, and live audio from the car & pit coming through on speakers. During a yellow flag period, the driver enthusiastically thanked everyone in the suite for their support, and had multi-million-dollar execs out on the patio waving at the car as it went by. During the race, these Dell guys supposedly were as wrapped up in the race as they would be at the superbowl.... it became THEIR car. After the race, the driver came up to the suite, sweaty and still in his drivers suit to a round of applause and endless questions and story telling. They finished like 7th, but no one cared. Everyone was just super stoked to be a part of the event.

A skeptic within Dell that had been completely against the sponsorship deal changed his mind after that single event. He pulled the team owner aside and told him something like "There are 50 million dollars-a-year worth of people in this room, and right now they all absolutely love their job"

Sponsorship goes a lot farther than just promises of TV exposure.

As much crap as F1 gets for being too distant and exclusive from the crowd, I think this has to be maintained to bring in the huge sponsorship dollars - It's gotta be that much cooler for the same Dell execs and guests to roll into their trackside suite, way beyond the roped off limits of where the normal people who aren't participating have to watch from.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:39 PM
------------

Vettel the snowflake
Sounds bout rite.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Vettel has always been one of my favorite drivers off the track, but snowflake status confirmed on track. Honestly.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:44 PM
What is this crap?

Honestly.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:45 PM
What is this crap?

Originally Posted by Tim2179
tough luck
yeah, take your team orders and smoke them if you do indeed have a pipe.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Greyout
Totally different level of racing, but it was explained to me by a Pirelli World Challenge team owner that the "Business-to-business" benefit of sponsorship is much more important to sponsors then having your name on the side of car or the shoulder of a driver. I've often wondered that in the past - you see some tiny logo on the end plate of a front wing or something and thing "How much did they spend on that, and how do you convince anyone that is worth anything?"

like this:

How much did intel pay to get their name buried in a front wing element? And who at CNN thinks that this is going to do anything for them?

Well, as this team owner explained it me, that's not the big appeal (and surely even less at his level)

This team owner had Dell as a sponsor on their Lotus for a few seasons. Sure, some people watch World Challenge Races on TV, and a few go to the race, but... Dell doesn't really care about that. What they DID like was the trackside suite that the team had set up for them.

This exclusive track side suite was setup with food, drink, and live audio from the car & pit coming through on speakers. During a yellow flag period, the driver enthusiastically thanked everyone in the suite for their support, and had multi-million-dollar execs out on the patio waving at the car as it went by. During the race, these Dell guys supposedly were as wrapped up in the race as they would be at the superbowl.... it became THEIR car. After the race, the driver came up to the suite, sweaty and still in his drivers suit to a round of applause and endless questions and story telling. They finished like 7th, but no one cared. Everyone was just super stoked to be a part of the event.

A skeptic within Dell that had been completely against the sponsorship deal changed his mind after that single event. He pulled the team owner aside and told him something like "There are 50 million dollars-a-year worth of people in this room, and right now they all absolutely love their job"

As much crap as F1 gets for being too distant and exclusive from the crowd, I think this has to be maintained to bring in the huge sponsorship dollars - It's gotta be that much cooler for the same Dell execs and guests to roll into their trackside suite, way beyond the roped off limits of where the normal people who aren't participating have to watch from.
Nice. Just like a baseball skybox. Let's pool our money and buy a tiny spot for a Honda-Tech sticker on the underside of one of the front cascade elements on the McHonda.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Speaking of Dell, one of the IndyCar teams rented Davey Hamilton's DW12 chassis and wrapped it in a Dell livery and hosted some Dell people as part of a sponsorship proposal a few years ago.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice. Just like a baseball skybox. Let's pool our money and buy a tiny spot for a Honda-Tech sticker on the underside of one of the front cascade elements on the McHonda.
We could probably get the DRS flap until the next toothpaste manufacturer steps up
Old 06-28-2017, 02:32 PM
------------

Would rather HTF1 sticker on the bottom of Wehrlein's floor.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just saw I made bluuu's sig
Originally Posted by Greyout

like this:

What they're missing here is that the person that pitches the sponsorship to upper management needs to like F1. In my experience the interests of the marketing gatekeeper matters way more than any reach figures you can quote.

I guess I don't work there anymore so I can share details. Lead engineer for our performance parts line prior to me taking over was huge into drag racing, specifically stock eliminator. We gave away 10s of thousands of dollars worth of parts to racers that raced in front of 5 people every weekend. Same person no quoted the Ferrari F1 program when they were switching to the latest powerplant and wanted us to supply a custom part.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd bet for our $23 we could get moar than a cascade or a DRS flap.

Let's dream big
Old 06-28-2017, 04:56 PM
What is this crap?

not bad!
Old 06-28-2017, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Right click, save picture as.

Quick Reply: The Official Formula 1 2017 Season Thread