Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

99 Civic HX CVT Stock: First no crank, and now cranks but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 04:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Re: 99 Civic HX CVT Stock: First no crank, and now cranks but won't start

Where did you buy the distributor that is on the car, or was it on there when you bought the car.

If you bought it at an auto parts store and tell them it is defective, but you want to upgrade to the Hitachi distributor, they will usually allow you to do that, you would just have to pay the price difference

Last edited by chrysler kid; 11-02-2016 at 05:03 AM.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:57 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts
Default Re: 99 Civic HX CVT Stock: First no crank, and now cranks but won't start

dont see a part # for the hitachi, you got one?
Old 11-02-2016, 05:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
dont see a part # for the hitachi, you got one?
Yeah

​​​​​​
Old 11-02-2016, 05:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
Where did you buy the distributor that is on the car, or was it on there when you bought the car.

If you bought it at an auto parts store and tell them it is defective, but you want to upgrade to the Hitachi distributor, they will usually allow you to do that, you would just have to pay the price difference
Will have to look back at my purchase history and see what kind of warranty it came with. Think I bought it online.
Thanks for the part number.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Like mentioned last night, cylinder 3 and 4 misfire. This morning, cleaned out the plugs and tried again. No good.
I can not hear the clicking on the fuel injectors 3 and 4. I can hear them on 1 & 2.
So now time to chase that issue? Will do some own research and look out for your feedback and ideas.
Will head out to work now.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:58 AM
I like the tuna here

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congratulations on finally getting it started! You're in the home stretch now. Check that with the key in the ON position, you have 12v to each of the injector connectors. If you do, replace the injectors that aren't working and you should be golden. If you don't have 12v, then check the wiring. Since two injectors are working correctly, I'm assuming it's not the fuse.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on the key position, it should give 12v to the injectors, correct?
Old 11-02-2016, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

You should have 12 volts to the injectors with the key on even if not running. However if it does run, do the test running. One end of each injector coil is connected to the continuous 12 volts. The ECU drives the other end of the coil to ground to open the injector. A common test is the "noid light". Take a #194 bulb (used in corner lights, license plate light, etc) and bend the wires straight out away from the glass. Unplug an injector and put the bulb wires into the plug contacts. The bulb should flash when the engine is cranking or running.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That seems easy enough to do. I have a multi meter so I won't strip any bulbs, though I may have some spares somewhere. More on that later in the day.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by madnad
The compression tests results are here.
From 1 to 4: 110, 115, 125, 220
That last one still has oil in it, cos the release valve got stuck. What do I do?
The compression numbers don't look great. Why does #4 have oil in it?

And with regard to the current distributor, am I correct that the engine previously ran fine with this distributor?

Like mentioned last night, cylinder 3 and 4 misfire...
I can not hear the clicking on the fuel injectors 3 and 4. I can hear them on 1 & 2.
Definitely start by checking for voltage on #3 and #4 injectors. You may be getting close now.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just wanted to give a huge shout out and thanks to all of the gracious contributors here. I have learned a lot and my confidence has grown more than I thought. I would like to do my part, and contribute when I can. I may not have much to offer, but I can certainly share what "not" to do based on my experiences. (that can be an asset too).
Cheers to all of you who take the time to help out.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Any excess oil you put in the cylinders will clear out after running a short time, even if that cylinder doesn't fire.

The injectors are driven with short pulses that often don't register well on a digital meter. Using a bulb makes the result clearer.

I will mention one big thing NOT to do here is disconnect any of the spark plug wires with the engine running. That puts a lot of stress on the coil and can blow it out. To identify dead cylinders, unplug the fuel injectors one at a time instead.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ
The compression numbers don't look great. Why does #4 have oil in it?

And with regard to the current distributor, am I correct that the engine previously ran fine with this distributor?
During my previous Wet compression test, I might have put more oil than necessary (just got carried away). The gauge would not release pressure when the release valve was pressed that is why I inferred that too much oil got into that well. The release valve got stuck the second time around as well (didn't do Wet test this time)
And your are correct, this distributor did run fine prior to my "tune up".
Old 11-02-2016, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mk378
Any excess oil you put in the cylinders will clear out after running a short time, even if that cylinder doesn't fire.

The injectors are driven with short pulses that often don't register well on a digital meter. Using a bulb makes the result clearer.

I will mention one big thing NOT to do here is disconnect any of the spark plug wires with the engine running. That puts a lot of stress on the coil and can blow it out. To identify dead cylinders, unplug the fuel injectors one at a time instead.
Gotcha!
Bulb it is.
And yes, didn't know about the plugs but didn't do it and will not do it in future.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

During my previous Wet compression test, I might have put more oil than necessary (just got carried away). The gauge would not release pressure when the release valve was pressed that is why I inferred that too much oil got into that well. The release valve got stuck the second time around as well (didn't do Wet test this time)
And your are correct, this distributor did run fine prior to my "tune up".

There must be a lot of oil in #4. You may want to look in the cylinder to see how much oil is there.

With regard to the injector issue, you may want to start with simple possible issues. For example, maybe the #3 and #4 injector clips are not fully seated.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ

There must be a lot of oil in #4. You may want to look in the cylinder to see how much oil is there.

With regard to the injector issue, you may want to start with simple possible issues. For example, maybe the #3 and #4 injector clips are not fully seated.
How can I mop up this "oil spill" in that cylinder? Push a rag in? Is that safe?
I removed and re-seated the injector clips without any change. Also, removed the harness and replaced it in the hope that some loose connection would snap back in. But looks like there is little more troubleshooting here.
Should I start another thread for this issue? I am thinking about some John Doe doing a search in the future for no pulse on injectors and looking for answers/suggestions buried in relatively unrelated thread.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:48 AM
Fish Twig

Yeah

​​​​​​
Ok, thats what you mean. It sounded to me like autozone sold the actual hitachi distributors.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How can I mop up this "oil spill" in that cylinder? Push a rag in? Is that safe?
I removed and re-seated the injector clips without any change. Also, removed the harness and replaced it in the hope that some loose connection would snap back in. But looks like there is little more troubleshooting here.
Should I start another thread for this issue? I am thinking about some John Doe doing a search in the future for no pulse on injectors and looking for answers/suggestions buried in relatively unrelated thread.
​​​​​​​I would just update your current thread. People may be interested to see the entire story unfold. I would next test for battery voltage at clips #3 & #4, and then go from there.

Start by looking for whether oil is pooled in the cylinder. If so, maybe try aspirating the excess oil using a bulb syringe with some tubing? Other members may have better ideas.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, thats what you mean. It sounded to me like autozone sold the actual hitachi distributors.
Oh you want the direct OE?, yes I can get those too

Old 11-02-2016, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Will have to look back at my purchase history and see what kind of warranty it came with. Think I bought it online.
Thanks for the part number.
Found - it was ordered with lifetime warranty on eBay back in Nov 25, 2014. What should I tell the vendor?
Old 11-02-2016, 09:10 AM
Fish Twig

Oh you want the direct OE?, yes I can get those too

Looks to be an OE replacement. I just hope its a reliable part.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:11 AM
Fish Twig

Found - it was ordered with lifetime warranty on eBay back in Nov 25, 2014. What should I tell the vendor?
The distributor needs to be specifically for the d16y5, you can't just pick any D-series Distributor.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

@Chrysler
Here is one distributor (from another seller on eBay) http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Distributor-fits-Honda-Civic-1999-2000-1-6-SOHC-Replaces-Tec-Built-TD73U-/171771865688?hash=item27fe66aa58#vi-ilComp which is compatible with my vehicle. However, the harness is different.
I am recalling now that I had to swap out the harness from my old unit to make it fit. I will need to do with this one again, unless you tell me something different.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nope, that previous link was incorrect - they generalized the vehicle compatibility. That is why the plug was different and also why it was so cheap. here are two others.
1. Distributor WAI DST17485 fits 96-00 Honda Civic 1.6L-L4
2. Cardone Industries 84-17485 New Distributor | eBay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cardone-Indu...=mtr#vi-ilComp
Old 11-02-2016, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's an aftermarket distributor. I can't vouch for quality.

32-00007 Ignition Distributor, 32-00007 Ignition Distributor Sale - BuyAutoParts.com
Old 11-02-2016, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The distributor needs to be specifically for the d16y5, you can't just pick any D-series Distributor.
Looks like this one is the closest match. Price is not bad either.
Brand New Complete Ignition Distributor W/ Cap & Rotor Fits Honda Civic Hx eBay

@Ron:
Thanks. I got the above matching distributor with the part no. from your link. They have eBay store also
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-CO...xX~uDl&vxp=mtr

Although, I may not buy that unless I have to.

Quick Reply: 99 Civic HX CVT Stock: First no crank, and now cranks but won't start