Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Re: The Official Formula 1 2016 Season Thread

oh deer
Old 07-07-2016, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ...esteban
Bring close for insane heat and biblical flooding. It's all in play.
Or pay attention here and get inside info
Old 07-07-2016, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tim2179
Juan of the best...

Wow. I Juander away for a bit and the thread goes to hell.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rota92
Thank you for hooking up my estybobo with parts fam

He won't kill an innocent pregnant woman in a minivan now.

Well, at least not with his car.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by falcongsr
oh deer
I have dash cam footage.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

F1 Racing News | Racer.com - F1: Mercedes makes decision on team orders

F1: Mercedes makes decision on team orders

Thursday, 07 July 2016

RACER Staff

The Mercedes Formula 1 team has put in place "much greater deterrents" against collisions between Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg, but will keep team orders as "a last resort."

Twice in the past five grands prix Hamilton and Rosberg have been involved in accidents, wiping each other out on lap one in Spain, followed by a final-lap collision in Austria last Sunday.

Following meetings with both drivers at its team base at Brackley on Thursday, Mercedes has decided they can continue to fight but made clear future incidents will not be tolerated.

A Mercedes statement read: "Our drivers were informed that they remain free to race for the world championship. We believe this is the essence of Formula 1, including between teammates. As passionate racers, we want to see them racing, and so do the fans of Formula 1.

"However, this freedom comes with a duty for our drivers to respect the values of the team. In the past five races, there have been three incidents which have cost us over 50 points in the constructors' championship. We have therefore strengthened our rules of engagement to include much greater deterrents to contact between our cars

"With these in place, we will trust our drivers to manage the situation between them on track. Their destiny is in their own hands. The drivers were also reminded that we may issue instructions during the race to protect against a potential loss of constructors' points, such as we did at this year's Monaco GP when Nico was instructed to let Lewis pass.

"If the drivers do not honor the revised rules of engagement, we may impose team orders as a solution of last resort."

Mercedes motorsport boss Toto Wolff was seen thumping a table in anger after the Austria clash, in which Rosberg lost his front wing trying to hold off Hamilton's successful bid to take the lead, and later threatened team orders could now be imposed.

Autosport understands that after a cooling-off period of three days this week, Wolff met with both drivers individually before the collective meeting in Brackley to lay down the law.

Following their collision in Belgium in 2014, when Rosberg deliberately crashed into Hamilton on lap two, "suitable disciplinary measures" were taken against the German, which was understood to be a heavy financial penalty.

It appears Mercedes is now ready to throw the book at Hamilton and Rosberg should there be any reoccurrence of this season's incidents.

AUTOSPORT SAYS...

For the good of F1, Mercedes has made the right call in opting not to impose team orders.

In Austria, even Wolff remarked it would make him "puke" if they had to be applied.

No one wants to see races stage managed, particularly between title contenders. That would likely make everyone puke.

You can only assume the "much greater deterrents" Mercedes hints at mean it would now clamp down hard and is under no circumstances prepared to tolerate further indiscretions.

There are many options open to Mercedes in this regard for punishments.

The first would be a financial penalty, but given the wealth of both men any such sanction would need to be big enough to be truly punitive to make a difference.

Beyond that, denying them time in the car would certainly hit home, perhaps by dropping could drop them for a practice session.

Although reserve Pascal Wehrlein is at Manor this season, junior driver Esteban Ocon, who has been loaned to Renault as reserve, could always be drafted in for such a run.

The ultimate punishment would naturally be a race suspension, although of course there is the problem of a replacement.

Would Mercedes be able to recall Wehrlein from Manor, and leave that team searching for its own back-up? If not, would Mercedes risk pitching Ocon into a grand prix weekend?

Ocon has at least driven an F1 car this season, in practice and post-race testing at Barcelona.

The 19-year-old Frenchman gets another outing with Renault in Silverstone practice, and he is in Mercedes' current car for both days of next week's in-season test, so would have experience.

As draconian as a race ban seems, if Mercedes wants maximum impact on Hamilton and Rosberg it is not so far-fetched as it may appear.

Originally on Autosport.com
Old 07-07-2016, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The guy who lured Mansell to IndyCar.

Insights & Analysis - MILLER: Haas a racer above all else

MILLER: Haas a racer above all else

Thursday, 07 July 2016

Robin Miller / Images by LAT

Carl Haas was a driver, racecar entrepreneur, car owner and promoter during his six decades in motorsports, but above all, he was a racer.

"What I liked most about Carl was that he didn't come from wealth but something else, everything he earned and accomplished was from racing and he truly made a successful living from the sport," Mario Andretti said Thursday morning as he reminisced about his longtime car owner.

"After Formula 1 I found a home with he and Paul (Newman) and I was the luckiest guy around because it was the perfect situation and I loved those guys."

Haas, whose trademark was his unlit cigar and dark glasses, passed away June 29 in his Chicago home at the age of 86 after a long bout with Alzheimer's. He had not been seen publicly in several years.

A native of Chicago, Haas drove sports cars in the 1950s and 1960s before starting a clearinghouse for racecar parts and then becoming the Lola and Hewland distributor in North America.

But it was his partnership with Newman that brought Haas his true happiness, as their team scored 107 IndyCar victories plus eight championships in CART and Champ Car from 1983-2008.

Though rivals in Can-Am, Haas approached Newman about forming an IndyCar team and was rebuked before hearing the words: Mario Andretti.

"I said, where do I sign?" Newman recalled many years later.

After convincing them to go with a Lola chassis, Andretti worked out its bugs and scored two wins in that inaugural 1983 season before capturing the CART title in 1984.

"They were the original odd couple, Carl and Paul, but they always gave me the best equipment and Carl never held back on the things that were essential," said Andretti, who raced with Newman/Haas from 1983-1994.

"I had input on who we could hire and Carl always invested in the best people."

Michael Andretti joined the team in 1988 and racked up 40 wins and the 1991 CART crown. "I loved the fact they would do whatever it took to win," said Andretti, now a car owner himself. "It was a great atmosphere and one of the best teams ever."

Sebastien Bourdais, Cristiano da Matta and Nigel Mansell also captured championships, but Haas stealing Mansell away from Formula One in 1993 the year after his title still ranks as one of the greatest coups in motorsports history.

Ralph Hansen, who spent 30 years as Haas' right-hand man, still laughs about those negotiations with the 2001 F1 champion.

"Carl and I were at Watkins Glen for some kind of sponsorship function and we were sitting on a picnic table and Carl had Mansell on the phone," Hansen said. "Then Nigel had to put him on hold because he was getting a call from the Queen. There was a big demonstration outside Buckingham Palace called 'Save Our Nige' and she was imploring him to stay.

"Carl put his hand over the phone and said: 'My god, I negotiated against the Queen and we won.'"

It was such a well-kept secret that even the Newman/Haas team had no idea.

"Michael (Andretti) had just won the CART title but was headed to McLaren so we didn't know who was going to take his place," recalled veteran mechanic Tim Coffeen, who worked for Newman/Haas Racing for 20 years. "Carl called us all together and told us he had hired a driver we were all going to enjoy working with.

"Then a few days later Nigel walked into our shop. We were all in shock and I'd never seen Carl so happy."

Mansell earned the 1993 CART championship, but it was nine years before the team's next one. The war between CART and the Indy Racing League eventually saw a mass exodus to the Indy Racing League, but Newman/Haas remained loyal to CART and then Champ Car.

Bourdais bagged four consecutive Champ Car titles from 2004-07 and raved about his five-year run during a 2014 party for former Newman/Haas drivers, mechanics and employees.

"It was very unique with Carl leading the team and Paul providing the spirit. And when they ran out of sponsorship money, they chipped in to keep us going. I was very lucky to have driven for them," he said.

John Tzouanakis, who spent 28 years with Newman/Haas as a mechanic and team manager, loved the environment. "They weren't hands-on; they simply left you alone and let everyone do their job," he said. "Carl ran the business and Paul flew in for the races and I think racing was their country club. They could get away from people and enjoy their passion."

Hansen helped negotiate major sponsorships from Texaco, Kmart, Budweiser and Beatrice, but he also saw Haas and Newman dig into their own pockets to keep the team on track.

"Carl could be a tough businessman, but he was an incredibly honest person and he always lived up to his word," Hansen said. "He was a man of integrity and he would always underpromise and overdeliver to our sponsors, and they loved it."

The late Justin Wilson scored Newman/Haas' final win in 2008 at Detroit – shortly before Newman died of cancer – and the team shut down following the 2011 season.

Besides his CART team, Haas competed in Can-Am, launched a short-lived F1 team and also had a NASCAR operation. But his true love was Indy cars – especially the Indianapolis 500 – which Newman/Haas dominated on occasion but never won.

"Obviously we had everyone covered in 1987 and Michael was long gone in 1992, but that place always eluded them and it was a big disappointment," said the patriarch of the Andretti clan. "But it wasn't for a lack of trying. They always knew we were there and I always felt bad we couldn't get one."

Old 07-07-2016, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 07-07-2016, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Haryanto looks to finish out the year at Manor.
Old 07-07-2016, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Haha that's a funny shirt.
Old 07-07-2016, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 07-07-2016, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Flanders?
Pringles.
Old 07-07-2016, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Interesting thing about driving style in a Champ Car and current IndyCar.

Indycar Racing News | Racer.com - INDYCAR: Kanaan learns new tricks from old friend

INDYCAR: Kanaan learns new tricks from old friend

Thursday, 07 July 2016

Marshall Pruett / Image by LAT

We wouldn't dare say Tony Kanaan is an old dog, but the 2004 IndyCar Series champion, who turns 42 in December, does admit he's trying to learn some new tricks. The Brazilian is enjoying a season of renewed effort and solid results, and credits his dear friend and driver coach Dario Franchitti for finding areas of improvement.

Entering his 19th season in IndyCar competition, Kanaan closed 2015 with a handful of decent results, but finished a disappointing eighth in the championship standings. Through eight races this year in the No. 10 Chip Ganassi Racing Chevy, Kanaan has been inside the top four on four occasions and stood on the podium at the most recent round in Road America.

That second-place finish behind Team Penske's Will Power was close to becoming a win, and thanks to the significant points haul, Kanaan is up to sixth in the championship entering this weekend's race at Iowa.

"Dario, he pushes me to the limit every time, and he's always looking at my data," Kanaan told RACER. "He has so much time now that he is always on my toes. .. you have to do this better, you have to do this better, you are pretty good here but look at here where you aren't.' That is coming from a guy that understands exactly – he's not an engineer, but he's a driver – what is happening inside the car when I drive and what it translates to on the track. The information he sees comes out even better; it's more translatable coming from him."

So where has the added pace and competitiveness been found?

"Like everybody, like in any profession, you have your bad habits," Kanaan continued. "Driving is the same thing. With this car, with the tires the way they are now, I had to slowly start to change the way I drive. I'm old school, right? So the way to drive as far as old school, I drag the brakes into the corners too much.

"In these cars because of the downforce, you make all the speed in the corners. I'm used to 1000 hp. It goes fast as you can and then you brake as deep as you can, slow down as much as you can, and off you go. That is not the case anymore. It's been quite hard for me to develop the technique 100 percent, but we've been working to make the corners more continuous for me. You need the momentum in these cars, so I have to break that habit of slowing too much into the corners."

And where is Kanaan in fully adopting the new driving technique, which applies mostly to road and street courses?

"I do the right way about 80 percent of the time, but then you fall back to the old way," he said. "It maybe sounds easy to do; just don't brake as much or as long, but this is going against something I've done my whole [IndyCar] career. So Dario, he's always there, reminding me. And that is the biggest challenge I still have."

If fighting against his natural tendencies inside the car has been an ongoing process, one where he's yet to fully achieve a place of comfort, Kanaan says everything within the rest of the No. 10 program is operating at a high level.

"We've been building all year," he added. "If you look at the past 10 races, we started in the top eight. We haven't been able to make the most of every chance we've had to get the best possible finish, but there's great momentum for us going to Iowa, which is a place that I do pretty good. So I am excited.

"And the championship is a lot closer now. It's the closest I've ever been in the past three years. I'm confident, the team is working really well, and I'm working extremely well with my engineer Todd [Malloy]. I like where things are going for us."
Old 07-07-2016, 03:46 PM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts

ha that sounds like me in the skip barber car in iracing. i spend so much time actually consciously driving the car through every corner to carry momentum that my actual racecraft is terrible even though i'm in the top split and qualified top 5.
Old 07-07-2016, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

NSX Carbon Fiber GT3

NSX GT3

With its exposed carbon fiber bodywork, the NSX GT3 looks even meaner than it did on a pedestal in the Big Apple. The race car features heavily modified bodywork, including enlarged hood vents for better engine cooling, plus aerodynamic aids like an underbody diffuser, and a massive rear wing spoiler. Unlike certain other race cars ostensibly based on road cars, though, the finished product is still recognizable as an NSX.

The powertrain includes a tuned version of the 3.5-liter, twin-turbocharged V6 used in the stock NSX. However, the stock nine-speed dual-clutch automated transmission was ditched in favor of a six-speed sequential gearbox. The GT3 is also rear-wheel drive, not all-wheel drive like the NSX road car. That means Acura may have tossed the road car’s hybrid system as well, although the carmaker won’t confirm that. Despite its somewhat different mechanical layout, the GT3 is built alongside the stock NSX in Ohio.

The use of stock bodywork and a (mostly) stock powertrain are some of the requirements of the FIA GT3 class that Acura built the NSX racer for. GT3 mandates that cars retain close ties to their road-going counterparts, meaning the cars fans watch on the track actually resemble ones they see on the street. The class has grown to include everything from Lamborghini Huracáns to Bentley Continental GTs, racing in multiple series in the U.S. and Europe.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

#rooting4Rita

I need to get one of them mentor things.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ritas mentor pulls through.

Saw a posting, asked him about it. He said no ****, didn't know he had an opening.

I stalked Org. Chart and hiring manager works for my mentor. He said he already spoke to him so fire away.

Now it's as simple as them paying me. lolz

(its not that easy this will end up poorly again omg)

Negotiation template:
Old 07-07-2016, 06:20 PM
Princess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

njn video in sum:

Pay me my money. In caaaaaaaaaaaash.
---

Good luck rita. Although yer mentor needs to know wtf is his happenin in his org.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:52 PM
Princess

I, also, want to buy a ticket Rita.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:53 PM
Princess

If only it were that simple. For real. Org. Charts don't mean **** here. Aftermarket/Aftermarket Spares/OEM/Airframe Products etc. etc. all roll up to one dood, and then like five doods. It's a cluster F of epic proportions.

I wish he came back to my current BU. I'd be in a real nice place right about now. But he didn't want to deal with the missed ship dates coming up later this quarter haha

Thank you doe, we'll see where it goes. The 3 year plan starts the minute I get the next yob.

Just in time for me to steal you and Eddie away from current employers.

I might even be employed in 3 years.

maybe.

Hopefully.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:57 PM
Princess

Originally Posted by Ross Brawn
We see it in wet races where the speeds are much lower, but they can be really exciting...There's no relationship between absolutely speed and the entertainment.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

ESPN reporting that Ferrari retains Kimi for 2017 via another 1yr deal

He, Massa, and Button really need to go at this point. Hang it up already, man.

Quick Reply: The Official Formula 1 2016 Season Thread