Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Ruckus and Scooters (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-ruckus-scooters-126/)
-   -   No electric ignition? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-ruckus-scooters-126/no-electric-ignition-3320506/)

Triumph46 05-20-2018 09:41 AM

No electric ignition?

Howdy,

Have a new 2017 Ruckus with less than 400 Miles. All electrical works and it kick starts fine. Fully charged battery but the electronic ignition doesn’t work.
When I hit the start button nothing happens, even when depressing both brakes.

any ideas? TIA

sTol2m 05-20-2018 10:26 AM

Re: No electric ignition?

Have you checked the fuses? They are on the positive side of the battery terminal under a black plastic cover.

Triumph46 06-06-2018 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by sTol2m (Post 51639174)
Have you checked the fuses? They are on the positive side of the battery terminal under a black plastic cover.

I did check all the fuses and they are fine. The Ruckus kick starts easily but there is no sound at all when trying tonelectric start.

sTol2m 06-07-2018 10:02 AM

Some more things to try:
1. Take the start/kill swicth controls off and make sure the start button & wires are connected properly. Be careful, there is a spring behind the start button that you don't want to lose.
2. The starter relay could need to be replaced(the big blue square one next to the fuses).
3. There is a ground wire(green i think) for the electric start just to the left and above the variator case, make sure there is a good connection.
4. I know you already charged it up but, the battery could be dead or faulty. My old Ruck ran fine with a dead battery, had to kickstart it every time but it still functioned like it should.
Have it checked out, Rucks love to kill batteries, lol.

Triumph46 06-07-2018 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by sTol2m (Post 51653975)
Some more things to try:
1. Take the start/kill swicth controls off and make sure the start button & wires are connected properly. Be careful, there is a spring behind the start button that you don't want to lose.
2. The starter relay could need to be replaced(the big blue square one next to the fuses).
3. There is a ground wire(green i think) for the electric start just to the left and above the variator case, make sure there is a good connection.
4. I know you already charged it up but, the battery could be dead or faulty. My old Ruck ran fine with a dead battery, had to kickstart it every time but it still functioned like it should.
Have it checked out, Rucks love to kill batteries, lol.

Very helful!! I will check all these things and report back!! On the blue starter relay... do you know which one it is? I THINK there are 2-3 blue boxes.

sTol2m 06-07-2018 11:36 AM

The Starter Relay is the biggest one under the plastic cover, on the positive side of the battery terminal.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...61b706db5d.jpg

Markomrtnz 06-14-2018 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Triumph46 (Post 51654010)

Very helful!! I will check all these things and report back!! On the blue starter relay... do you know which one it is? I THINK there are 2-3 blue boxes.

I'm curious, any update?

Triumph46 06-14-2018 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Markomrtnz (Post 51659205)
I'm curious, any update?

Can’t figure it out. Fuses look good and doesn’t appear to be the really. I recharged the battery, tightened down the terminals and the starter worked fine for a couple days.
Then the Ruckus somehow kills the battery.

ill be taking the Ruckus back to the dealer for service, as it’s only 6 months old.

Jfap1972 08-13-2021 07:35 PM

Hi,
Any update on this issue?, 07 ruckus ignition key on, no horn, no brakelights and no fuel pump ticking.

I’m guessing its one of the relays.

But before everything ok, while waiting at idle (motor on), i pressed kill switch (off position), definitely engine died.

But when I tried to start it up (killswitch on position), ignition key on, both brake levers pressed.. nothing happend.

Like all my electricals gone, but one kick it starts.

Thanks to whatever help you could give

JP

MeHe 01-15-2023 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Jfap1972 (Post 52459061)
Hi,
Any update on this issue?, 07 ruckus ignition key on, no horn, no brakelights and no fuel pump ticking.

I’m guessing its one of the relays.

But before everything ok, while waiting at idle (motor on), i pressed kill switch (off position), definitely engine died.

But when I tried to start it up (killswitch on position), ignition key on, both brake levers pressed.. nothing happend.

Like all my electricals gone, but one kick it starts.

Thanks to whatever help you could give

JP

MeHe 01-15-2023 11:56 AM

Just watched a video on the power sucking Ruckus batery and the advice was ... the starter/alternator thing that charges the battery only works while you are moving at 25mph. And to replace the charge of one start it takes 20-25 min at 25mph to replace the charge in the battery. lots of short teips will drain the battery ... :( Add a quick attachment for a trickle charger and every now and then test and charge your battery.
Hope you get this message.