Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Prelude (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-prelude-4/)
-   -   UDSM H22A4 to JDMH22A (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-prelude-4/udsm-h22a4-jdmh22a-3334646/)

Jordan M Keller 03-05-2019 04:56 PM

UDSM H22A4 to JDMH22A

I have a 1998 honda prelude 5 speed type sh. The original motor blew due to (I believe a failed oil pump) it was a usdm h22a. I bought a H22a replacement from Chicago jdm. Later I found out it was a jdmH22a. This particular new motor was also newer than 98 and out of an auto. I used my original wire harness with the motor. (One with new motor was cut to pieces) I used my vtec valve (I believe that's the name, correct me if I'm wrong) from my old motor cause my harness has a clip to hook up there. I also took my old dizzy and external coil. I placed them on the new motor as well. (The dizzy on the new motor was internal coil and my harness wasnt compatible with it.) So now to my main issue my old motor/original harness has a spot for the crankshaft position sensor. This new motor does not have that spot to attach the connector. Now does anyone know of a way to bypass this or some type of advice? I believe this is the only thing holding me back. I have fuel up to the rail but not in the injectors and also have no spark. It has great compression and cranks, just doesnt fire. I'm hoping this little issue will fix all of it... I apologize if this is ran on and confusing. This is my first post on this group and I'm only learning lol. Thanks in advanced for any advice you might be able to give!

TimiK 03-05-2019 08:19 PM

Re: UDSM H22A4 to JDMH22A

which ecu youre using there?

remember that you have to rebuild the swap engine also if you want it to last.

Jordan M Keller 03-06-2019 01:53 AM

I'm using the ECU that was in the car. Also, it is complete engine I'm just looking to get it up and running since it's my only vehicle as well

TimiK 03-06-2019 03:43 AM

Even if its complete engine and its not rebuilded you need to do that before you can get it running - if engine stands years in warehouse and seals get dry - theyre gone and soon your engine is leaking oil from everywhere - also its smart to new timing side and clutch.
Swap engines are not direct drop in unless theyre rebuilded

also if you use USDM ecu you need to change USDM oilpump, dizzy and intake manifold to get the sensors working properly

Slasheshat 04-01-2019 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by TimiK (Post 51879741)
Even if its complete engine and its not rebuilded you need to do that before you can get it running - if engine stands years in warehouse and seals get dry - theyre gone and soon your engine is leaking oil from everywhere - also its smart to new timing side and clutch.
Swap engines are not direct drop in unless theyre rebuilded

also if you use USDM ecu you need to change USDM oilpump, dizzy and intake manifold to get the sensors working properly

Stop telling people to rebuild engines for no reason. If he or anyone wanted to do that they'd just rebuild their original.
I recommend a "refresh" just change all the seals and anything rubber. That is correct about changing the oil pump and intake etc.. basically the only thing from the jdm motor you should be using is the long block and everything should be transferred from the original engine.

OR get the rywire.com adapter harness to run the jdm oil pump and dizzy and not have to change them. I wouldn't do this because the crank sensor is more accurate at the crank and thats what the usdm ecu likes but it does work and is easier than having to change the oil pump.

OR you can wire the usdm harness to the jdm dizzy without using rywires adapter Import Intelligence - Expert Automotive Repair

TimiK 04-01-2019 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Slasheshat (Post 51901506)
Stop telling people to rebuild engines for no reason. If he or anyone wanted to do that they'd just rebuild their original.

stop telling people they shouldnt maintenance rebuild the engine - when swap engine sits in some dusty warehouses seals and gaskets dry and when you just swap the engine without any maintenance it willl leak from every hole and then its A LOT harder to start change stuff

also you dont know what shape is swap engines clutch and timing components, valve seals, LMAs.... so yeah YOU NEED TO DO SOME MAINTENANCE REBUILD

Slasheshat 04-01-2019 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by TimiK (Post 51901525)
stop telling people they shouldnt maintenance rebuild the engine - when swap engine sits in some dusty warehouses seals and gaskets dry and when you just swap the engine without any maintenance it willl leak from every hole and then its A LOT harder to start change stuff

also you dont know what shape is swap engines clutch and timing components, valve seals, LMAs.... so yeah YOU NEED TO DO SOME MAINTENANCE REBUILD

Yes if you read my post I said to change ALL seals on the engine. THIS IS DIFFERENT THAN AN ENGINE REBUILD AS YOU SUGGESTED. An engine rebuild is changing piston rings, rod and main bearings, valves and guides, and head gasket. There is no point to change LMAs, if you buy a jdm engine that is damaged and needs any of these replaced you need to get a refund.

TimiK 04-02-2019 09:14 AM

You dont obviously know what I ment. One should always inspect swap engine very closely and replace parts which show wear. Thats called also rebuild.

Piston rings are one of h22s main problem so it might be good idea to change or atleast inspect em when engine is out + of course new valve seals and when youre there its smart to check lma's which usually wear little bit faster than other valvetrain components...if engine doesnt have upgraded newer open lma's already

Bottom line - theres a lot more things to do than just buy swap engine and throw it back in and thats I call "rebuild" to make sure you dont end up with problems soon after you get it back together

Slasheshat 04-02-2019 10:13 AM

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...cff840821d.png

Originally Posted by TimiK (Post 51901809)
You dont obviously know what I ment. One should always inspect swap engine very closely and replace parts which show wear. Thats called also rebuild.

Piston rings are one of h22s main problem so it might be good idea to change or atleast inspect em when engine is out + of course new valve seals and when youre there its smart to check lma's which usually wear little bit faster than other valvetrain components...if engine doesnt have upgraded newer open lma's already

Bottom line - theres a lot more things to do than just buy swap engine and throw it back in and thats I call "rebuild" to make sure you dont end up with problems soon after you get it back together

You should learn correct terminology before you go misinforming people. I see you're doing it in multiple threads.

TimiK 04-03-2019 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by Slasheshat (Post 51901865)

You should learn correct terminology before you go misinforming people. I see you're doing it in multiple threads.

You should learn expand your terminology before YOU go misinforming people - my info is no misiformation theyre just facts and I continue spearing these facts also in multiple upcoming threads.

Suma 07-11-2019 02:25 PM

Why buy another engine when you have to Totally rebuild it? Rings and everything?

rubber, yes. Rings, wtf.

Aradin 07-11-2019 02:46 PM

Lol I have actual experience dealing with JDM engines regularly and I would never recommend completely rebuilding one you just got from an importer. It's just not necessary. 99% of the time they're in perfect running condition right off the pallet. I always do a timing overhaul at minimum and in most circumstances that's all they get. Never had an issue in nearly a decade.

TimiK 07-12-2019 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by Aradin (Post 51969371)
It's just not necessary. 99% of the time they're in perfect running condition right off the pallet. I always do a timing overhaul at minimum and in most circumstances that's all they get.

always wise to new all the rubber seals and for that you need to open the engine

+ timing/waterpump stuff
+ clutch

Aradin 07-12-2019 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by TimiK (Post 51969528)
always wise to new all the rubber seals and for that you need to open the engine

+ timing/waterpump stuff
+ clutch

Timing belt, tensioners, balance shaft belt if applicable, and water pump are what I include in "timing overhaul".

Clutch isn't always necessary but it's best to be looked at on a case-by-case basis. If there's no marks, excessive wear, or heat scoring and there's plenty of friction material left - it's fine to just put in new throw out/pilot bearings and go. I would trust a low mileage OEM clutch to last longer and drive better than a brand new cheapo Autozone/eBay special junker that most people want to throw in their vehicles.

snobordboy 07-12-2019 01:24 PM

Well all, I think we have strayed far enough off the original topic of getting the OP's engine running, which needed either an OBDI harness adapter and distributor, or an oil pump swap to OBDII.

Many people will have various desires on what they are looking for out of a JDM engine swap, some people are looking for a cheap replacement for a blown engine, and may not care if it has a few oil or coolant drips, as long as it has decent compression and gets them down the road. Any engine seller or installer won't warranty a JDM engine unless the timing kit with water pump, as well as major seals, are changed at time of swap, so that should be a "bare minimum" along with new spark plugs, and generally a clutch on manual cars.

As well, we have realized that different people have a varied interpretation of "rebuild". Most of us on this forum are US based, and our general idea of rebuild includes pulling the head off and doing rings and bearings, but many of us also hold the idea of the mythical "Honda reliability fairies" that get let out once you crack the head off, so we leave those alone unless needed.

Those are my thoughts, so I am going to lock this thread for now. If anyone has anything pertinent to add, shoot me a PM and let me know.