Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda CRX / EF Civic (1988 - 1991) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-crx-ef-civic-1988-1991-3/)
-   -   My crx build (starting from a shell) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-crx-ef-civic-1988-1991-3/my-crx-build-starting-shell-3048452/)

Crxcam 01-13-2013 06:54 PM

Re: My crx build (starting from a shell)

Originally Posted by efguy15 (Post 48327845)
Thats awesome :D , i know im gonna sound like a total noob, but where can i learn to build a honda from a shell, cause i have a ef with b18a1 swap, but i wanna know everything about, im really interested by all this but i dont know where to start? Can anyone point me into the right direction? I also want to learn how to rewire it, cause the battery always dies for some reason? Im in the process of painting it so i will have before and after pictures as well

I learned the hard way how to do all this, my first honda my eg (which i still to this day regret selling) needed an oil change and I knew nothing at all about cars so I went to jiffy lube >.< they changed my oil ..but they took oil out and didn't put any back in so my engine blew up n I met a guy through a mutual friend who had been doing auto mechanic shop work for about 20+ years so he basicly helped me rebuild it and has been training me the last 3 years as for all the honda specific stuff its all been tons and tons of hours of online forums and talking to people that know honda, been at it for a while n theres still a ton to learn so just take ur time and always ask questions. As for ur battery that might just be a few diff things ( bad battery, bad terminals, bad alternator, or loose ground) lots of possibilities depending on when it seems to die

Crxcam 01-13-2013 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Bonethrasher (Post 48327995)
Its looking hella nice... I agree, no pink/black stripes... but white and black be....unique! Its your car man...have fun with it! I am slowly learning hondas from my buddy! There great cars to learn on and pretty simple...except for the wiring...hate that shit! Keep it up man... Cant wait to see the finish!

haha thanks! Yea I think everyone hates the wiring its the most stressful part of any build is figuring out all that wiring

efguy15 01-14-2013 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Crxcam (Post 48330517)
I learned the hard way how to do all this, my first honda my eg (which i still to this day regret selling) needed an oil change and I knew nothing at all about cars so I went to jiffy lube >.< they changed my oil ..but they took oil out and didn't put any back in so my engine blew up n I met a guy through a mutual friend who had been doing auto mechanic shop work for about 20+ years so he basicly helped me rebuild it and has been training me the last 3 years as for all the honda specific stuff its all been tons and tons of hours of online forums and talking to people that know honda, been at it for a while n theres still a ton to learn so just take ur time and always ask questions. As for ur battery that might just be a few diff things ( bad battery, bad terminals, bad alternator, or loose ground) lots of possibilities depending on when it seems to die

^^ this guy, thanks alot dude, sucks that they didnt put oil wtf? ... but seriously thanks alot super nice haha i guess ill just try to find a guy to learn from or just start tinkering with my ef or something haha THANKS :D imma go buy a book on civics haha seen one at autozone >:)

mtflyboy25 01-15-2013 07:09 AM

yeah wtf lol. are u sure they didnt put oil in it? i bet they forgot to tighten the bottom bolt and oil just drained out as you drove it or something. this is why i never go to those places. if u do go, i go to a stealership where at least i cans sue the shit out of them or threaten them and then get a good deal on a new car lol,.

StreetsideStig 01-15-2013 08:24 AM

Very cool build. I'm in. Glad I found it.

Crxcam 01-23-2013 08:39 PM

Little update got my kevlar timing belt in the mail, timing gears n pins, engine should b all together minus the sparkplug wires and alternator. I also have been trying to find out what the big hole on the back of my gsr block is for, I found it can be used for water cooled oil system but I'm having a hard time finding out if I can just get a plug for it so I dont have to mess with any of that

ryanangelo212 01-23-2013 09:26 PM

Sick build man. I just picked up a CRX myself also, took me ages to find an Si for the right price... Doing wiring like you did is the only thing that really scares me on cars haha, every time I see those bunches of wires cut off then a working final product I am super impressed. Good luck and keep the updates coming!

Crxcam 01-29-2013 09:46 PM

Little update I got my gates racing timing belt (kevlar) I just want to make 100% sure nothing will go wrong on this 115$ for a timing belt I'd sure hope its not gunna snap on me lol now the only things missing for this engine to b complete is alternator and a few little things! http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...ps67716999.jpg

pheelcoates 01-29-2013 09:52 PM

wiring sucks

TheMightySi 01-30-2013 03:39 AM

Nice!

wreckeddc4 01-30-2013 04:45 PM

Nice build... I had some zebra stripes and shit on the engine bay

http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/a...534E255E45.jpg

Crxcam 02-14-2013 11:00 AM

Slowly progressing on getting everything sanded down and prepping for paint the last 2 days I've had off work so I spend all day in the shop sanding and prepping. Its not shown in the pic but I got the other side window out and almost got the windshield out untill the tiny little crack at the top turned into a huge spider crack... Great more money to spend, o well at least I'll know its brand new and I'm goin to have a proffessional install it since I wouldn't want to try it my first time by myself. Anyway bodies looking decent got the whole outside sanded down ready for bondo and a guide coat. Then my next project will b to start prepping the inside to be ready for sound proofing/insulating with lizard skin. Hopefully I can pick up the lizard skin on friday and get started tackling that project.http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...ps6f513be7.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...pse7cf5b95.jpg
Also got a few pieces primed I do plan to sand off the sides of the steering colum cover bar so it'll ground out properly, and the ecu cover was just garbage, also not in the picture I got the door hinges and hood lifts primed
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...psa88105f2.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...ps81882b9b.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...ps7b90e7ab.jpg

89rex_si 02-14-2013 06:51 PM

very nice progress! makes me feel better about what i started with. lol

Crxcam 02-14-2013 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by 89rex_si (Post 48460365)
very nice progress! makes me feel better about what i started with. lol

I have a whole other crx though to pull parts off its just got a total title so i decided to build a clean one

GPC91 02-15-2013 12:11 AM

i wish i had another crx to pull stuff from haha. its alway the littlest things that hold EVERYTHING back. i would buy another crx if i could even if it was just for one or 2 little parts. even little bolts. the waiting 2 days for bolts at a dealership adds up. i envy you ha. looks great so far, wish i had the time you do to work on the shell of mine, i had to leave all the dents in mine in order to get it on the road in time to drive it before my brother gets his licence and i cant drive his car anymore. best of luck, looks like you are well on your way to a beautiful crx.

jedwar 02-16-2013 04:25 AM

great thread, thank you for saving this rex

Crxcam 02-22-2013 10:14 PM

So I ended up breaking down and spending this whole last check on a gallon of quality primer, a new intake that had all the sensors and tb on it, the other on I had was bare had nothing with it, and also a sonic parts cleaner, some more sand paper and a buncha body painting supplies I'm not very experienced with body work but I've taken a few classes and know the basics of it, so this weekend I plan on hopefully getting a lot more body work done on it.

mtflyboy25 02-23-2013 12:23 PM

sounds good...

Crxcam 02-26-2013 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by GPC91 (Post 48461148)
i wish i had another crx to pull stuff from haha. its alway the littlest things that hold EVERYTHING back. i would buy another crx if i could even if it was just for one or 2 little parts. even little bolts. the waiting 2 days for bolts at a dealership adds up. i envy you ha. looks great so far, wish i had the time you do to work on the shell of mine, i had to leave all the dents in mine in order to get it on the road in time to drive it before my brother gets his licence and i cant drive his car anymore. best of luck, looks like you are well on your way to a beautiful crx.

Yea it really does suck and the other reason I haven't stripped the other one down is so so I can kinda map everything back where the wires go and everything in case i get stuck, only paid 400 for my parts rex n well worth it, n thanks I hope I can get it on the road within this year is my goal

StreetsideStig 02-26-2013 10:27 AM

Those sonic parts cleaners are the business. I don't have one, but they seem to be popular around here. I want one.

Crxcam 04-04-2013 11:20 PM

So I got an update, I know it's been a while but I've actually been cruisin along on the motor side of this project. I've been doin full time work and school recently so haven't got much chance to update. I got my taxes and went all out getting some goodies for my motor.
First my AEM fuel rail *drool* mmmm
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...psfc3691c5.jpg
Then I got the rest of the pieces I needed for my block, bolts, vtec solenoid, keyway for my pulley, and a some oem injectors, I think I'm going to paint my vc green with blue splats or maybe get it dipped (not sure if thats the correct term) I just cant stand that ugly gold color its too cholo lol
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...ps007c441d.jpg
Also got my motor mounts in the mail (hasport) and an oil catch can for the hole that I couldn't for the life of my figure out wtf it was for in the back of my block that goes straight to the oil pan. I also now have access to a ton of proffessional shop equiptment going to school for my ASE they have a parts cleaner, hot tank, alignment rack, and pretty much anything a professional shop would have. I also pulled my gas tank from my rex to make sure to get the gas out in case it was just garbage...so i put it in my ford ranger haha. I'lll most likely be taking my gas tank to the parts cleaner and with it removed I want to jack my rex up n start scraping crap off the bottom and getting it all clean for a few coats of sound deadener (not truck liner) most likely going to use lizard skin. Anyway I'll try n keep the updates coming.

mtflyboy25 04-05-2013 10:46 AM

woot

nepsGD3 04-05-2013 12:32 PM

props on the build!

crxin 04-06-2013 04:49 PM

When I pulled my tank I painted it in black por 15, and also did the underside of the car in it. pro 15 is awesome stuff... just a thought.

mtflyboy25 04-06-2013 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by crxin (Post 48652079)
When I pulled my tank I painted it in black por 15, and also did the underside of the car in it. pro 15 is awesome stuff... just a thought.

agreed my interior floor is in POR-15