Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   Possible CV Joint/Axle problem...? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/possible-cv-joint-axle-problem-940474/)

rocket3004 07-27-2004 09:11 PM

Possible CV Joint/Axle problem...?

Almost out of nowhere, my car (93 civic dx) started to click/bang when I turn. I know this is generally a tell-tale sign that the cv joint/enire axle needs to be replaced. However, I can't tell what side it is comming from... it makes the sound when I turn in both directions. Also, I thought I would take a look underneath the car and probably see a torn up boot and some fluid leaking, but apart from very minor cracks on the inner folds of the boots, they are relatively clean and in decent condition.

Also, the clicking is only when I am in drive. If I get some speed, put the car in neutral, and cut the wheel, the sound stops.

And like I mentioned before, the problem seemed to occur out of nowhere... I didn't hit anything nor am I making a ton of power that would cause axle failure.. it is a relatively stock Civic Dx automatic...

Any ideas as to:
if it is indeed the cv joint/axle that needs to be replaced?
what side needs to be replaced (if it is the problem)?
why did this occur?

rocket3004 07-28-2004 07:17 PM

Re: Possible CV Joint/Axle problem...? (rocket3004)

anyone got somewhat of an answer for me???

dsowers19 07-28-2004 07:40 PM

When was your transmission fluid last changed? Do you check it regularly? It sounds like it might not have enough tranny fluid.
Either that or do you have power steering in your car? You might check that fluid also.

rocket3004 07-29-2004 05:33 PM

I will check that out tomorrow... last winter I drained and refilled the trans fluid (not full flush), and I checked it last week and the fluid was still the orginal color.. not brown or black, so that was quite suprising seeing as this is my daily driving car... but the level was fine... right in the cross hatches. I did not check the PS fluid, but I will.

The only thing that is tricky is that the clicking stops when the car is in neutral, which I would think either eliminates the axles as the problem, or points the finger to it, and/or something else... but the problem is that I don't know which...?

electronb16si 07-29-2004 05:52 PM

Im pretty sure its the axles. Mine broke out of nowhere too and it did the same thing to me. How low is your car? That could be a big part of the axles breaking.

ice11honda 07-29-2004 06:50 PM

I didn't think DX's had power steering

t25hatch 07-29-2004 08:06 PM

Re: (ice11honda)

OUTTER CV

rocket3004 08-02-2004 06:40 PM

Re: (ice11honda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ice11honda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I didn't think DX's had power steering</TD></TR></TABLE>
Dont think it was standard, but was an option. I have it though

Alot of ppl have been replying that similar situations occured from aftermarket suspensions, and them being too low, or not properly adjusted, but my car is completely stock in that department, except for minor impacts from curbs and other cars over it's 11yr life, but nothing major, and nothing recent in that area.

I will check on the ball joints, but did your car do that in neutral as well as in gear/drive??

B18Tahtaras 08-04-2004 12:11 PM

If it does that during both right and left turns... it could be your Differential. or both axle's at once. also, for shits and giggles... make sure that your lug-nuts are torqued down... ive seen that throw curve balls at people

civicmon 08-04-2004 05:06 PM

If you're still not sure what side it's on, try making various turns with different windows open, so try making left and right turns with drivers side window open, and same w/ pass side window.. it'll allow you to hear a little better what side it is on.

rocket3004 08-07-2004 04:04 PM

Re: Possible CV Joint/Axle problem...? (B18Tahtaras)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18Tahtaras &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If it does that during both right and left turns... it could be your Differential. or both axle's at once. also, for shits and giggles... make sure that your lug-nuts are torqued down... ive seen that throw curve balls at people</TD></TR></TABLE>

See, that is exactly what I am afraid of... I don't understand how both axles could be busted at the same time, like I said, I am totally stock, and the boots looked to be in fairly decent condition. Is there any way to check the diff to see if that is the source of the problem?

If it is one axle, would it click going both ways? What about being in neutral?

thePHIG 08-09-2004 11:41 AM

i recently just had the same thing happen to me, clicking comming from the right side, the car is compeletly stock suspention wise, and i just had the transmition replaced 2 months ago, i posted on automotivefourms and i got a reply that it was the c/v joint and they said i needed to replace the half shaft? i checked all the boots and all are perfect, so im a lil lost as to how this would happen