Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   Opinions on obx lsd - I've heard they have problems (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/opinions-obx-lsd-ive-heard-they-have-problems-2851164/)

hatchBK4life 10-19-2010 08:47 AM

Opinions on obx lsd - I've heard they have problems

ive heard that they have had problems just wondering if it would be worth my time

EJeff8 10-19-2010 08:51 AM

Re: opinions on obx lsd

Anything OBX IMO is Jank.

Seriously, everytime I see a DSM with an OBX Racing sticker or OBX exhaust, I laugh my ass off.

hatchBK4life 10-19-2010 08:54 AM

haha the only thing i have from them is a fuel rail

what company makes a lsd for a d series tranny thats not outrageously priced

kaiba 10-19-2010 08:56 AM

The OBX LSD is junk out of the box. Unless you change the bolt and bellville spring.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/transmission-drivetrain-127/how-field-strip-obx-lsd-1752849/

kaiba 10-19-2010 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by hatchBK4life (Post 43810503)

what company makes a lsd for a d series tranny thats not outrageously priced

Mfactory

dc2_dustin! 10-19-2010 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by SpecialBrownie (Post 43810474)
Anything OBX IMO is Jank.

Seriously, everytime I see a DSM with an OBX Racing sticker or OBX exhaust, I laugh my ass off.

your probably laughing because they're driving an overprice/underpowere dsm, i've had an ek built with mainly obx parts and while the price tag is low the quality is not try it before you knock it

EJeff8 10-19-2010 09:31 AM

your probably laughing because they're driving an overprice/underpowere dsm, i've had an ek built with mainly obx parts and while the price tag is low the quality is not try it before you knock it
I'm laughing both because it's DSM and OBX. I've heard enough on OBX to stay away from it and usually anything advertising it's products through ebay is subject to scrutiny, and any company going through ebay to sell extremely important parts such as this should be scrutinized. OBX as a whole is not a good company regardless of one person's account and possibly opinion on the subject.

hatchBK4life 10-19-2010 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by kaiba (Post 43810534)
Mfactory

thanks man

dc2_dustin! 10-19-2010 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by SpecialBrownie (Post 43810869)
I'm laughing both because it's DSM and OBX. I've heard enough on OBX to stay away from it and usually anything advertising it's products through ebay is subject to scrutiny, and any company going through ebay to sell extremely important parts such as this should be scrutinized. OBX as a whole is not a good company regardless of one person's account and possibly opinion on the subject.

that's exactly what you're giving, not to mention skunk2, apexi, buddy club etc. also have liscensed products on ebay, obx gives a lifetime warranty and hold up to it

EJeff8 10-19-2010 10:53 AM

Re: Opinions on obx lsd - I've heard they have problems

Regardless, I've always held OBX to a lower standard and always will. I don't trust their product and lump them in with ebay companies.

blown_ss 10-19-2010 11:55 AM

obx is known for their parts falling apart. they use low grade bolts. there was a thread on here about a guy doing a build, he was using obx itbs and he made a point to replace all of the hardware that came on it because it was all junk. i've known people to use the lsds and they hold up but i wouldnt use it if it was free.

instructor74 10-19-2010 02:52 PM

Here is a link to the write up I did about a few years ago when I installed an obx in my trans.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/obx-lsd-overview-2143466/
I now have about 35k worth of trouble free miles on the diff and no signs of noise or other problems.

Deetz 10-19-2010 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by kaiba (Post 43810534)
Mfactory

x2, great lsd setup's. I'd pick this up before an obx part any day of the week

EG1PJT 10-19-2010 04:07 PM

All the stuff I have heard about OBX is that it is junk. I have seen to many bad things happen with there products and am to scarred to try any of there products. I work hard to make my money and it would really suck to buy something less expensive and have it mess up and have to pay three times as much to fix. This is what I think. I dont hate OBX but I have heard to much bad reviews on there products to actually try them. I have heard though that there OBX lsd is the only good product they make but I dont know.

NotAJDMFanBoy 10-20-2010 12:05 PM

OBX ITBs are supposed to be decent. LSDs are supposed to be fine if you replace the springs and bolts. The hoses, clamps, breathers, swaybars, etc are probably ok. Not too much can go wrong.

93egSLEEPER 10-20-2010 02:59 PM

My buddy has a 600+whp vitara setup on a OBX LSD and has had zero problems in 3 years with it. I typically shy away from the company, but he and a few others have had great success with them.

Mfactory is top notch though, cant go wrong there.
An oem ITR lsd is always an option as well, Im running one and its handled everything ive thrown at it.

Aquafina 10-22-2010 02:54 PM

Washers and bolts aren't the problem. Go to the trans forum and see my MFactory LSD Review thread (it is in the sticky FAQ). There is info in it about the OBX.

Deetz 10-22-2010 03:28 PM

see this link too.....

https://honda-tech.com/forums/transmission-drivetrain-127/my-obx-lsd-review-short-sweet-pictures-added-2634231/