Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

OBX LSD overview

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBX LSD review

I am sure that this has been covered a few times. But here are the things that I had to do with mine when I received it. I think I read every post I could find on these things before I got one.

1st: Take a good look at the unit make sure the case is okay. Look for things like poor case alignment most common cause seemed to be cross threaded bolts. Mine looked good.

2nd: I wanted to make sure everything was together correctly so I ripped it apart and as no surprise the spring washers where wrong )))((( they need to be installed like this )()( )()(. So I flipped them around.

3rd: Check to make sure that the gears that the drive shafts slides into have bevels on both side. I have see photos of ones that where not beveled and people could not get the drive shafts back out. I am happy to say it looks like that problem was fixed.

4th: I replaced all the hex head bolts with a higher grade bolt added locktight and torqued them to 40lbs. Replacing the bolts is just something that I did I don't know if it really needs done it was more peace of mind than anything else.

With the diff all sorted out I finished rebuilding the trans. It got all new bearings, synchros, seals and was brought back to factory spec.

5th: Now I came to the hard part making sure the diff was shimmed to spec. Following the service manual. I first checked clearance with out any shims. Well it came out to be .560mm the final spec when shimmed is .1mm now the smallest shim honda makes is 1.0 mm. So out it came and off to the machine shop. I had them take off .280mm per side that gave me 1.120mm to work with to get the diff shimmed to spec. Well all said and done Everything went together and I ended up with .1mm once shimmed

All in all I wasn't shocked buy what I found wrong with the obx. I had hoped that given the fact most of the articles I read about the OBX where 2 to 4 years old I was hoping that maybe they had gotten there act together. Well it looks like they fixed the gear problem, it seems like the spring washers are still a problem along with the having to machine it in order to shim it to spec.

First impressions with the diff after install. What a difference it makes. The car just pulls through turns now. I don't notice any noise coming from the transmission when driving it. So I think I got the spring washers in the correct way. On a slight side note The trans feels better than I ever remember it being. The shift gate is smooth and precise. Running through the gears I have be rewarded with no grinds. I think that this trans rebuild and lsd install where a success. This was the first time I ever took apart a trans and it was a blast just make sure you have a good shop manual, clean place to work, good lighting, and really pay close attention to the details .

Edit: sorry guys no photos camera took a crap lost a lot of stuff I will see what I can come up with.

Modified by instructor74 at 1:02 PM 11/5/2007

Modified by instructor74 at 5:35 AM 11/6/2007
Old 11-05-2007, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good writeup
Old 11-05-2007, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OBX LSD review (instructor74)

Great info thanks.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much power are you making?
Old 03-05-2008, 10:41 AM

Great writeup, looking to do this in the next month or so.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IanB)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WillieWillieFast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How much power are you making?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Willie still at stock power levels. The trans isb was going out and the original diff just wasn't cutting it on the auto x track.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IanB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Great writeup, looking to do this in the next month or so.</TD></TR></TABLE>

IanB thanks, good luck with your project let me know if you need any help getting things set up.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Very informative
Old 03-09-2008, 06:49 PM

Default Re: OBX LSD review (WillieWillieFast)

WOW! Great write up. Looks like i am going to have to take mine apart. That is when it gets here.

What grade bolts did you replace with?
Old 03-09-2008, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: OBX LSD review (Mrs. .Beaver)

AutoX just started for my region. And this year i'm using the obx lsd. I was able to pull faster time and corner have become alot eaiser.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:44 PM

Good stuff. I will remember this for my LSD install
Old 03-10-2008, 03:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OBX LSD review (321POOF)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 321POOF &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">WOW! Great write up. Looks like i am going to have to take mine apart. That is when it gets here.

What grade bolts did you replace with?</TD></TR></TABLE>
grade 8 with blue locktight added for piece of mind. also make sure to tighten the bolts down a little at a time in a criss cross pattern until the bolts are all snug then torqe to 40ft lbs
Old 01-11-2009, 06:57 AM

Default Re: OBX LSD review (321POOF)

wow great info. thanks! im looking to get a obx lsd very soon so this is vrey helpful