Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   idle problem. (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/idle-problem-939162/)

vtecmike1 07-26-2004 07:49 PM

idle problem.

i'm pretty confused. after putting everything back together on my car and starting it up it runs like a champ. idles perfectly when its cold but when the car reaches operating temp the idle goes from about 1000-400 in surges back and forth. i have no cel, checked the vacum lines everything is fine. and if i remove the tps it will idle fine with no surges. but my vafc says the tps voltage is fine so i'm not sure what to do. any suggestions?

FERIOkid 07-26-2004 07:53 PM

Re: idle problem. (vtecmike1)

can you adjust your tps? I know on my d15b it was adjustable and i had to take my stock d15b7 throttle body and it worked fine. Make sure all your sensors on your throttle body are correct, a lot of them are the same. Thank for instance your idle air control valve could be swapped with something

vtecmike1 07-26-2004 07:59 PM

Re: idle problem. (slowdx9585)

its not adjustable on the b16 without a dremel and i dunno if i'm man enough to try that. but the vafc says the voltage is ok so i dunno what i would need to adjust it to. i could try to clean the sensors out i guess. i'm just pissed cuz i wanted to get it dynoed soon and i can't really do that without figuring this idle thing out.

AftermarketCarl 07-26-2004 08:50 PM

I had the same problem a couple of years ago. I don't recall exactly what it was called so I'll describe it to you. Underneath my GSR throttle body is some kind of thermal valve. I fixed my idle problem by replacing it with one my friend's extras. When I took apart my original part i found out that the internal valve had un-threaded itself and I was actually able to re-thread it. Just to make sure that it worked properly I reinstalled it and I haven't had any problems since. Good luck.

vtecmike1 07-28-2004 07:26 AM

Re: idle problem. (yelointeg)

that wouldn't be the iac would it. because on the b16 its located on the intake manifold and it has an allen head adjuster bolt. i'm also thinking i might need to turn up my idle screw a little due to all the extra air flowing in after the head work and cams, since i'm not flowing anymore fuel. sean down at church said i could get it tuned with the bad idle and it wouldn't effect anything so maybe after he adjusts the air fuel ratio's and fuel pressure that could help the idle.

vtecmike1 07-30-2004 02:20 PM

update:

carlo came over, took him 30 seconds to make me look like a moron and he fixed my car. with the iat disconnected and a few vafc tweaks of fuel at idle the car runs like a champ and i'm ready for tunning. i should have a dyno graph for all you patient people in about a week or so. so stay tunned, finnaly after about a year of building my little b16 n/a monster will be complete.