Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   help me please (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/help-me-please-952656/)

slowstockcivic 08-08-2004 03:59 PM

help me please

I have a 96 civic dx. 1.6 non vtec. just a slow pos but get uaually gets around fine. the only aftermarket part is a cold air intake. it died yesterday and had to be towed home. aafter looking at it i found it had no spark. after changing several things we finally have spark and it runs. the only thing is you can't give it any gas without it stalling. if you very very slowly increase the throttle it will gain rpms other than that it just just die. I have checked and it is at least getting fuel the rail. Can anyone give me some ideas. I have heard great things about you guys and hope you can help me too. Thanks in adance for any and all info.

HXvtec 08-08-2004 04:58 PM

Re: help me please (slowstockcivic)

how did it just die? did you get water in it? If you did then that could be your problem

dsowers19 08-08-2004 06:13 PM

Re: help me please (HXvtec)

a couple things to check.
1. injectors might be dirty. Try a fuel injector cleaner.
2. catalytic convertor might be plugged up or possibly muffler, lack of air flow will cause the car to die.

What did you all change?

slowstockcivic 08-09-2004 04:02 AM

Re: help me please (dsowers19)

I thought that but i found it hard to believe that the injectors could get dirty and the spark could go out at the same time. that is y i am confused i changed the coil and the little hitachi module inside the cap as well as plugs and rotor. after you drive it the car will miss at an idle for a little while then once it cools it will idle fine again. as far as how it dies... from an idle if you throw the gas to it the thing will fall on its face. but if you just very very slowly give it gas it will be fine. I thought about the gas having water in it cuz if you choke the intake with your hand while applying gas it will do much better. i have drained the tank put fresh gas in along with injector cleaner and dry gas. it is a little better but not too much. should i try some rubbing acohol?? thanks for the tips guys.

JimmyAtlantis 08-09-2004 04:41 AM

Do/did you have a check engine light?

toolowsol 08-09-2004 04:46 AM

Re: help me please (JRI94)

How did you fix your spark issue, the problems are most likely related. And if you haven't done so already, pull the CEL codes

slowstockcivic 08-09-2004 07:16 AM

Re: help me please (JRI94)

no check engine light spark was fixed by new coil. the coil has real good spark as well as the plugs

IVI 08-09-2004 08:08 AM

your having a fuel / air delivery problem.

try spraying starting fluid into the throttle body and then giving it gas immediatly after to see if its a fuel problem.

disconnect vaccum hose to see if its an air delivery problem.

slowstockcivic 08-10-2004 04:41 AM

Re: help me please (IVI)

what vaccum hose are you talking about?? In the past three says i have had like 13 different people look at it including the head tech guy from a honda dealer and they are all stumped.

FOC-US2K 08-10-2004 06:49 AM

I had a problem like that once. Check your timming.

IVI 08-10-2004 11:07 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slowstockcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what vaccum hose are you talking about?? In the past three says i have had like 13 different people look at it including the head tech guy from a honda dealer and they are all stumped.</TD></TR></TABLE>

tell me what they did?

disconnect any vaccum hose that will allow more air into the motor. take off your intake also if its not already off.

it can be a faulty sensor but you said your not getting any cel?

did you or any of the techs try spraying starting fluid into the throttle body?

also what foc-us said, check your timing.

slowstockcivic 08-12-2004 05:03 AM

Re: help me please (IVI)

alrready checked cam timing and spark timing and they are both ok.it is at the dealer now. i think it is an internal engine problem now. i see a gsr motor in the near future.

ubercerealkiller 08-12-2004 05:21 AM

...could your air filter have gotten wet or dirty or something?
just trying to help... lol, but im sure a honda tech dealer would have figured that one out. unless he was stupid, which is possible.