Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   car dosent like to start sometimes (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/car-dosent-like-start-sometimes-2569421/)

jimmy o. 05-14-2009 08:41 PM

car dosent like to start sometimes

ok heres the deal my 94 EX with stock motor occasionally dosent start right away sometimes it starts then dies and then it starts again it never stall is traffic of anything the idle sometimes is really low other than that no other obvious issues with it.

my guesses are the fuel pump or the regulator btw my fuel filter is new and my car has 192K miles
thanks for any imput

Former User 05-14-2009 08:50 PM

Re: car dosent like to start sometimes

Is the CEL ON? When were the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor last replaced?

Try cleaning the IACV and FITV on the throttle body.

jimmy o. 05-15-2009 05:53 AM

all tune up stuff is new
no CELs
i have no idea if the FITV or the IACV have been changed out

jimmy o. 05-15-2009 03:52 PM

bump anyone also it didnt start doing this until the weather changed

im gonna try another IACV and a FPR i have lying around and see what happens

IhateworkingoncaRs 05-15-2009 03:58 PM

Maybe whoever installed your fuel filter was the first individual to successfully install a fuel filter backwards on a Honda LOL. J/K, I've seen it a few times on some domestics and NO I did not do it.

jimmy o. 05-15-2009 04:58 PM

i threw a FPR on it seems better i will update later
starts up right away

batallic 05-15-2009 05:30 PM

is yur main relay original

jimmy o. 05-15-2009 09:32 PM

probably its back to the same crap again lol

Former User 05-15-2009 09:37 PM

Here are links showing how to clean the FITV and IACV.

Dead CIVIC 05-15-2009 09:38 PM

I'm having a similar issue...good luck bro.

trustdestruction 05-15-2009 09:53 PM

I'm almost positive that it is weak solder joints on the main relay. Take the main relay out, pop the cover off, and re-solder all of the solder points on it. They may not appear weak, but underneath that blob of solder there is probably a tiny tiny gap between the blob of solder and the pin that it is soldered too, and the hot temperatures are causing slight expansion of the solder and the connection is then lost.

This same exact (every single symptom you listed) thing happened to me last summer. I re-soldered the solder points in the main relay and I haven't had the problem since.

DownShiftPerformDC2 05-15-2009 10:03 PM

I would say coolant temp sensor. Mine went bad before didnt throw a CEL, But car woudl take forever to start sometimes, then it would start up and die and idle really low.

batallic 05-15-2009 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by trustdestruction (Post 38554105)
I'm almost positive that it is weak solder joints on the main relay. Take the main relay out, pop the cover off, and re-solder all of the solder points on it. They may not appear weak, but underneath that blob of solder there is probably a tiny tiny gap between the blob of solder and the pin that it is soldered too, and the hot temperatures are causing slight expansion of the solder and the connection is then lost.

This same exact (every single symptom you listed) thing happened to me last summer. I re-soldered the solder points in the main relay and I haven't had the problem since.

even happened to me in the winter try the main relay

jimmy o. 05-16-2009 08:36 AM

im gonna try both lol will see what happens when it stops raining