Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   99-00 si vs new si!! (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/99-00-si-vs-new-si-673024/)

Downey 11-10-2003 12:53 AM

Re: 99-00 si vs new si!! (CaTiRo)

id get a new Si.. only if they came with the RSX-S engine. i like the way they look. lowered with some differnt wheels.. looks sweet.

hasback* 11-10-2003 12:55 AM

Re: (electric_)

99-00 civic si..looks way way cleaner than the new egg looking hatch....ive never like the way it look and will never like they way it will look. i spanked a few ep's...not by alot..but still beat em https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emwink.gif https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emthup.gif

Jedi_Sol 11-10-2003 02:24 AM

Re: (hasback_00)

ive personally driven both 99-00 si and the new 03 si (friend had old si, stolen and got the new si) and both have its up and downs. im not very technically inclined, so i'll just give you my driving impressions. the old ones are definately a sportier car with that loud ass VTEC, stiff suspension and sporty clutch. that thing just screamed! didnt like the stock steering wheel that came with it though, too big. the seats were https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...s/emthdown.gif , no support ANYWHERE.

newer si's. like the person said earlier, the interior is SWEET! the smaller steering wheel is a blast to turn, comes with the honda emblem and has red stitching. the rally style shifter is fun getting used to, but it is really wobbly though. trust me, it will turn natural after about a couple hours of driving. when i got back into my del so, i automatically reached for the dash. yeah the redline is poop (because of the VTEC-E engine) and i cant hear any VTEC screaming (with my d16z6, i should already be used to that, heh) suspension is a lot softer than the old si, but still has a sporty feel. clutch feels like mush, its so dang friggin soft. the extra torque is nice to have when your stuck in traffic, just step on the gas and go, unlike the old si's where you downshift, downshift, then go. oh and dont let those new flashy red stitched racing style seats fool you. well i guess it depends on your build, but for me, the side and hip bolsters sat way too wide, so the seats ddint support me at all, when taking hard turns, i slide into the door. and when you push on them, half of it collapses away, so its just padding there, no metal frame or anything (unlike the del sol seats).

mods wise: as mentioned above, the b16 is modded out, K series has more room to develop. and im guessing because of the bigger displacement, there is more potential.

and for the times when i mashed the throttle, the b16 just took off and flew. the k20a3 seemed sluggish and it doesnt get that second wind past 5500rpm the b16 got.

i guess if you do get the 03 civic, you can always fix the redline issue with hondata.

egsick6 11-10-2003 02:47 AM

I really like both the EM1s and the EP3s. It's truely a hard toss up. Being, I'm a hatchback fan more-so than a coupe styled person, I would choose the EP3 for looks, hands down. So many EM1s are already played out, and change is always good.

Regardless of that, EP3s still look real clean and nice on a nice drop, regardless of rim prefference. I think the stock height on them, really throws the car off in most people(s) eyes.

As far as power goes, well I used this information from hondaswap.com as followed:

2003 Honda Civic Si MT 2744
2000 Honda Civic Si CPE MT 2612

EP3s have 22ft/lbs of torque more, and we all know how much torque really helps a heavier car. So truely, it should be a drivers race.

I would get the EP3 over the EM1, simply because of the design, it's newer, and the K-Series is truely the future. Mod for mod, the EP3 will clearly out perform the EM1, just based on technology.

So I say go for the EP3.

dohcnotec 11-10-2003 03:02 AM

Re: (Jedi_Sol)

00 vs. 03 si is a drivers race. I go to the track all the time and I've never seen a stock 03 or 00 si run a 15.8. My best friend ran a best 16.2 w/ CAI on 16" rotas in his 03 (he wouldn't let me drive it though https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...s/emhammer.gif ). I've been with him on many occasions where he has taken out 00 Si's. I used to beat 00 Si's with my 94 dx coupe with I/E. I have no respect for them performance wise (B16 https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...s/emthdown.gif ) even though they are the cleanest civics in my opinion. If I was a 00 si owner, the first thing I would do is trash that b16 bottom end and get some torque in that porker.<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jedi_Sol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
and for the times when i mashed the throttle, the b16 just took off and flew. the k20a3 seemed sluggish and it doesnt get that second wind past 5500rpm the b16 got. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I second that. The 03 doesn't "feel" as fast as it really is when driving it. As a matter of fact, you really can't feel anything. It's like they designed it for a girl or a 30 year old computer tech.

dohcnotec 11-10-2003 03:05 AM

Re: (dohcnotec)

Hey... why is this in the eg section???

Jedi_Sol 11-10-2003 03:19 AM

i think maybe because there is no specific 96-00 civic section on honda tech so this is the section where all the 92-00 civic peeps go to. i dunno...maybe he might have posted teh same question in the RSX/EP3 forum?

slammed_93_hatch 11-10-2003 03:26 AM

Re: (schism)

for being a hatch the EP3 weights alot, combined with that and the less hp i think the small jump in tourq wont make up for it. i have ridin in a new SI and i thought it was comparible to a stock LS, i wouldn't sell ur EM1 though, just wait a few years and then you can drop a k series motor into youre light EM1 and have na motor with an easy 200+ hp car that is just reliable as a ur stock being that the mods to get you there aren't much at all, in a few years it will be all about K series's there has already been some very imprisvie number put up from NA and FI K series motor's 263hp from a type S and an 2.4L motor with a JRSC produced 293HP and 230tq, now think about what 2 years will do....

Mr Hammond 11-10-2003 04:33 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dohcnotec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I used to beat 00 Si's with my 94 dx coupe with I/E.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah me too. :rolls eyes: https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...s/emhammer.gif

The little TQ less wonder in my "porker" has gotton me 14.8's w/ just bolt-on's. I'm happy with it. Build-up starts this winter.

I would really like to get a new one as a daily driver. They are pretty comfortable and the extra TQ is nice driving around town.

BauleyCivic 11-10-2003 04:37 AM

Re: (Alex1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Alex1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">older si's are better than the new si's especially when it comes to VTEC</TD></TR></TABLE>

That was probably the dumbest thing anyone has ever said on this site.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dohcnotec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey... why is this in the eg section???</TD></TR></TABLE>

EG+ Civic / Del Sol EG+ = EG, EK, EM, etc

The thread starter has a 99-00 Civic...so why shouldn't he post here?

Cam79 11-10-2003 04:43 AM

Re: (BauleyCivic)

Me personally, I love my EM1, I like the EP too though.

But like somebody was saying ,lets wait to see what happens with those K's.

SOHC_MShue 11-10-2003 04:48 AM

Re: (C00SI)

I think the rsx-s is where its at with the K series https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emthup.gif

Siracer03 11-10-2003 05:22 AM

Re: (schism)

i've raced the 7th gen SI... i was a nose ahead from 1st to 2nd and then when i hit 3rd i started to pull on him...also i think i had a pretty bad launch at the begininng of the race. if i had a better launch i would of probably killed it.

dohcnotec 11-10-2003 07:05 AM

Re: (Mr Milano)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr Milano &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah me too. :rolls eyes: https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...s/emhammer.gif

The little TQ less wonder in my "porker" has gotton me 14.8's w/ just bolt-on's. I'm happy with it. Build-up starts this winter.

I would really like to get a new one as a daily driver. They are pretty comfortable and the extra TQ is nice driving around town.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm sorry dog, but I'm gonna have to call a big fat ass BULLSHIT on a 14.8 w/ boltons for 4 reasons (all track proven).

Reason 1 - CRX's w/ B16's average 14.2 - 14.6 at the track w/ full bolt ons/street tires. You ran a 14.8 in a car weighing over 500 lbs more?

Reason 2 - I have a friend that has a P&P'd Head, Valve job, Cams, Milled head, I/H/E falken azenis - Best time - 15.2 (99 Si) 14.2 w/ 50 shot

Reason 3 - I Had a B20 in my 2000 DX coupe and I personnaly took out EVERY 2000 Si I've Ever run and they all had intake/exhaust so I'm assuming the may have had more and I ran a best 15.6 on bald 17's/full interior/full tank gas.

Reason 4 - Your car weighs over 2600 LBS!!!! 2600 LBS w/ 135-145 whp w/bolt ons = SLOWWW

SOHC_MShue 11-10-2003 07:13 AM

your friend with the si must suck at driving.

2000blackgsr 11-10-2003 07:16 AM

Re: (SOHC_MShue)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_MShue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">your friend with the si must suck at driving.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep, thats what I was thinking.

dohcnotec 11-10-2003 07:26 AM

Re: (96coupe)

you know... that's what I thought initially, but I have yet to see a 2000 Si w/o nos/turbo break into 14's at the track. The track I frequent is Fontana Speedway out here in southern cali and all of us in the know, knowz it sucks, but the point remains... never seen a n/a Si break 14's...

killerslp 11-10-2003 08:33 AM

Re: (Jedi_Sol)

I raced a new si, I spun on the launch and he got about half a car ahead, he held that till top of 3rd gear and I started to catch up by top of 4th we were dead even shifted to 5th and I started ever soo slowly inching away. raced the same guy from a 10mph and a 40mph roll and started pulling away instantly. I love my 00 si and wouldn't even consider trading it for an 03 but the 2.0 does have more potential than our 1.6 in the long run. If honda is smart they will bring the CTR and sell it for 21-22k with no less than 200hp to try and compete with all the other mid to low 14 second compacts now out.

roadawg 11-10-2003 08:39 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CaTiRo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">too bad the new si doesn't keep the horsepower to liter ratio like the 160 1.6l. would be nice to have a 200 2.0l si. :-)</TD></TR></TABLE>

They do but as usual they don't import it to the states.

LudaMan 11-10-2003 08:52 AM

yeah i really dont like the new honda civic SI's. They do look to much like an egg or someting. Im a huge fan of the coupe civic SI's. They look much better. And i have also heard they are a little quicker than the new ones https://honda-tech.com/forums/images.../h-emblem4.gif

HXMan 11-10-2003 09:35 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dohcnotec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'm sorry dog, but I'm gonna have to call a big fat ass BULLSHIT on a 14.8 w/ boltons for 4 reasons (all track proven).

It can happen for sure

I have seen a friend in person run a 14.8 in a bolt on 99 Si. Another friend runs 15.3 with just a short ram intake.

Reason 1 - CRX's w/ B16's average 14.2 - 14.6 at the track w/ full bolt ons/street tires. You ran a 14.8 in a car weighing over 500 lbs more?

See above

Reason 2 - I have a friend that has a P&P'd Head, Valve job, Cams, Milled head, I/H/E falken azenis - Best time - 15.2 (99 Si) 14.2 w/ 50 shot

See above again. To run 15.2 with those mods tells me your friend sucks at driving period. I had a b16 in an Hx coupe(weighs a little less then an Si), and with a GSR ECU I ran a 15.3, oh stock intake, stock exhuast manifold, and Tanabe RM catback

Reason 3 - I Had a B20 in my 2000 DX coupe and I personnaly took out EVERY 2000 Si I've Ever run and they all had intake/exhaust so I'm assuming the may have had more and I ran a best 15.6 on bald 17's/full interior/full tank gas.

You must live by a bunch of slow ass drivers if you can take every 99-00 Si with a car that just runs high 15's

Reason 4 - Your car weighs over 2600 LBS!!!! 2600 LBS w/ 135-145 whp w/bolt ons = SLOWWW

</TD></TR></TABLE>

sinical-ep3 11-10-2003 09:49 AM

Re: (HXMan)

Guess i'll be one of the devil's advocates since I'm an EP owner. Stock for stock, it should be a driver's race. The way it's supposed to work is that the EP will get the EM1 off the line, but the EM1 will catch up in the later gears. Comparably in the 1/4, they run about the same time (there's an EP that ran a 15.6 bone stock around here, and me being a shitty driver ran a 16.2 my first time ever at the track with full everything and stock tire pressure). Most of the EM1 SIs I've seen around here run somewhere between the same time bracket.

Don't forget that EM1s are pigs also...new SIs only weigh like 100 or so more.

sinical-ep3 11-10-2003 09:53 AM

Re: (sinical-ep3)

Also, I don't get why people say the car is slow. Yes compared to your swapped civic or whatever, it is slow. But for stock, its decent enough. Remember that your stock civic with the stock engine was slow as balls.

"I'll kick its ass with my swapped B18whatever!" Well DUH. Dumb excuse, an EP owner could do the same (swap,turbo,whatever) and run comparable if not better times.

rusted_eyes 11-10-2003 09:53 AM

Keep the coupe, the hatches look like miniture mini vans. I've had no trouble putting the new Si's behind me.

Patron 11-10-2003 10:18 AM

I'd rock the EP3, most of the d-bags in this town that own the EM1s think they are hot shit with i/h/e. No offense to any EM1 owners.