Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda / Acura (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-acura-28/)
-   -   Function and Form coilover thread (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-acura-28/function-form-coilover-thread-1834754/)

Kyle is raaddd 02-15-2011 08:21 PM

Re: Function and Form coilover thread

On my civic, I've noticed that the driver side front coilovers is tons 'softer' than the passenger. I've only had them on for about a week, and I nearly maxed them out, but I never changed the preload. I mean, I know the engine is more off to the driver side, but there's no way it made that much of a difference... Any ideas?

SHG_Claudio 02-15-2011 08:32 PM

Could be your weight distribution. You would be amazed to know the effects of say.. having the rear right coilover raised up a bit. That would push the weight to the front left. Picture holding a fish tank filled with water and tipping the rear right side up, all that weight of the water would move forward left.

My car is cornerweighed so the front left wheel has a 49% to 51% weight distribution to the rear right and the same for the front right/rear left.

Check your coilover heights and try to see if any one of them is higher than the front. Thats just my guess, that the weight is tipping to the front left. Other than that it could be blown. Stiff coilovers still work when blown, the spring is stiff enough to provide a good amount of rebound and with the shocks barely working, it might have it seem like its softer you know?

Arthas 02-15-2011 08:38 PM

I get teh same problem, that shock bottoms out a lot.

Arthas 02-15-2011 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by HBKFanatic (Post 44660942)
I had him remove the OEM LCAs and install the Blox LCAs with fresh bolts. I paid like $43 for the new bolts and I paid him $40 to put it in. $20 per side. Much rather do that then deal with a ****ed up bolt.

$40 for bolts? WTF did you get them gold plated?

ryanNoob 02-15-2011 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Arthas (Post 44669516)
I get teh same problem, that shock bottoms out a lot.

Are you getting the same sound, also?

SHG_Claudio 02-15-2011 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Arthas (Post 44669523)
$40 for bolts? WTF did you get them gold plated?

LCA bolts ain't cheap homie! Theyre 3 on each side, so 6 total. Thats like 8 bucks a pop. They're really strong bolts and thats why they go for that. Thats bc I got them at Acura too lol, if I had gotten them at honda it would of been more!

Kyle is raaddd 02-15-2011 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by HBKFanatic (Post 44669465)
Could be your weight distribution. You would be amazed to know the effects of say.. having the rear right coilover raised up a bit. That would push the weight to the front left. Picture holding a fish tank filled with water and tipping the rear right side up, all that weight of the water would move forward left.

My car is cornerweighed so the front left wheel has a 49% to 51% weight distribution to the rear right and the same for the front right/rear left.

Check your coilover heights and try to see if any one of them is higher than the front. Thats just my guess, that the weight is tipping to the front left. Other than that it could be blown. Stiff coilovers still work when blown, the spring is stiff enough to provide a good amount of rebound and with the shocks barely working, it might have it seem like its softer you know?

Hmm,.. You know what? That makes a LOT of sense! When I raised the rears, I did it while they were on the car, and I didn't measure perfectly I'm sure. Tomorrow I'll check it out, thank you very much!

89dxcivic 02-20-2011 09:32 PM

just found out my type 1s for my ej are max out, do type 2s go lower than 1s?
Or are there any way to alter the type 1s?

SHG_Claudio 02-21-2011 06:45 AM

They both lower the same. If you want to go lower you can change the preload(compress the springs) which is what some people do but the ride won't be the same. Unlock the 2 upper perches and twist them up thus compressing the spring and then lock them together.

Kyle is raaddd 02-21-2011 06:49 AM

Changing the preload to lower them makes them stiffer or softer?
Sorry for the seemingly dumb question, but I've heard both answers before haha.

SHG_Claudio 02-21-2011 07:08 AM

Technically the spring rate will stay the same but yeah it will feel stiffer.

zjknicks 02-21-2011 08:20 AM

this thread is great....i'm planning on getting a set of coilovers for my '95 eg sedan, seems like the type II are the best around? and I have a jack but have never changed the suspension of a car, but it doesnt seem that tough...would you guys advise against trying it?

SHG_Claudio 02-21-2011 08:23 AM

Its not that hard, I would just get a spec sheet so that you know how much to torque the bolts. Also make sure you have tools with enough leverage.

EJ1_Sleeper 02-21-2011 10:02 AM

You guys having problems with your LCA bushings, do you guys preload your suspension before you bolt everything down? you do realized that if you tighten everything down before the suspension is preloaded, that once tightened and brought down it "twists" the bushing and blows it out in weeks?

thats also why you can "clock" RTA bushings for lowered cars, to preserve the life of them.

Also i had EG type1s on my DA and i had the rears cranked ALL the way up and still was tucking tire, and the fronts MAXED out and was barely tucking lol. For a DD they rode great.

Im looking at getting the type2s for the stiffer rate cause i was scared as hell to take a turn on those type1s and before you go blah blah EG and DA shit, i did a hell of a lot of research and was positive it was gona ride exactly like it did because they are the same exact rate... which imo should be changed to a 8k in the rear for the DA cause of all the weight of the hatch/glass, but also the fronts were a bit soft to me as well (coming from driving a EF hatch with 500f/450r coils on AGX shocks). Overall they rode great for the week i had them, and almost had it at the stance i wanted.

I might end up doing that mild top hat trick on the front to get her a little bit lower with the type2s and retain full preload on the coils.

or ill go with GCs and AGX shocks (car will be a DD with occasional track time)

zjknicks 02-21-2011 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by HBKFanatic (Post 44706940)
Its not that hard, I would just get a spec sheet so that you know how much to torque the bolts. Also make sure you have tools with enough leverage.

k will do...they dont give you any spec sheet or basic instructions with the suspension kit do they??

SHG_Claudio 02-21-2011 01:41 PM

They dont give you a spec sheet but they come with an instruction card that tells you how to adjust height. My buddy gave me a spec sheet so not sure where you could get one. Plus you need a torque wrench for that. I mean you could just go off by feel but its better to torque it to correct specifications u know?

For the LCAs part, we all know about that. Its shitty blox lcas that rip regardless because they are so soft thats the problems.

cd5_2NR 02-21-2011 07:25 PM

finally got my LCAs and able to put in my rear coilovers...

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n..._2NR/EM105.jpg

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n..._2NR/EM101.jpg

89dxcivic 02-21-2011 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by HBKFanatic (Post 44706445)
They both lower the same. If you want to go lower you can change the preload(compress the springs) which is what some people do but the ride won't be the same. Unlock the 2 upper perches and twist them up thus compressing the spring and then lock them together.

Is this for addition rotation of the lower (threaded) housing, or will the more compressed spring actually lower the overall height? Just wanting to clarify since the lower "housing" has contacted the shock body, leaving no possible adjustment.

SHG_Claudio 02-21-2011 08:25 PM

The more compressed spring actually lowers the overall height. Its what a lot of people do but it should be left alone IMO. Get suspension technique's forks if you want to go lower without adjusting preload. These go very low though, I dont know what the issue with needing to go lower is.

89dxcivic 02-21-2011 08:40 PM

all Im looking for is .5 -1inch of addition drop, plus if I do slightly adjust the preload (compressing the spring) a slightly stiffer ride would be ideal. Thanks for the word of wisdom, much appreciated. :beer:

CHiLD 02-22-2011 04:46 PM

dont forget about the loss in shock travel.

SHG_Claudio 02-22-2011 05:02 PM

Ehh not really, will bottom out the chassis or the UCAs way before the spring is fully compressed

89dxcivic 02-22-2011 10:24 PM

Wouldnt raising the collars to the spring perch "Raise" the height..since your compressing the spring and taking out any sag/droop? Im getting two different explainations thats really confusing me, visually Im in a mental cluster F#$k....

PartyShank 02-23-2011 09:39 PM

From what I noticed, the EK set up does not go as low as people would expect them to... I just ordered Type Two's and well hopefully they go as low as I expect them to without having to mess with the pre-load. I have an EG. Anyone have a pic of an EG with maxed types two's?

classy. 02-23-2011 09:54 PM

These are great Coilovers..