Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/)
-   -   Is using a 76mm Inducer turbo from CXRacing on a K24 engine a good idea? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/using-76mm-inducer-turbo-cxracing-k24-engine-good-idea-3334540/)

justrynagofast7 03-03-2019 12:21 AM

Is using a 76mm Inducer turbo from CXRacing on a K24 engine a good idea?

I am building a k24 for boost and I was looking around for a good size turbo to use. I came across a cxracing 76mm dual ball bearing turbo and I wanted to know if that was an appropriate size. the ar is .81. my power goals are around 700-900whp. would a turbo that size take too long to spool? Would it be effective? Any feedback would be appreciated.

https://www.cxracing.com/turbocharge...RB-T76-P81-RRB

NVturbo 03-03-2019 05:11 AM

re: Is using a 76mm Inducer turbo from CXRacing on a K24 engine a good idea?

that's a waste of your $589 but do what you please....

AZ_CIVIC 03-03-2019 05:36 AM

Re: Is using a 76mm Inducer turbo from CXRacing on a K24 engine a good idea?

You can do 700-900 on a good 62mm Turbo.

Txdragon 03-03-2019 06:10 AM

I enjoyed CX for a MUCH smaller application. I would not trust them for anything over 400hp. 589.00 exceeds the threshold of cost per part that I personally wanna gamble with, but it's your cheddah!!

Balor_Gr 03-04-2019 10:49 AM

Might hold might break. Who knows. The problem is that with 650$ s366 on the market, cx turbo is an unnessasary gamble.

jim chuck 03-04-2019 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Balor_Gr (Post 51878100)
Might hold might break. Who knows. The problem is that with 650$ s366 on the market, cx turbo is an unnessasary gamble.

^Truth^

TheShodan 03-04-2019 05:08 PM

Even I would agree with this.

Balor_Gr 03-05-2019 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by TheShodan (Post 51878379)
Even I would agree with this.

haha dont feel special . Agreeing is something i dont do a lot too.
People hit me with this "youre stuborn and know-all" shet a lot. :)

Autoworks 03-05-2019 04:52 AM

my random $.02 of a reply...

Originally Posted by justrynagofast7 (Post 51877006)
I am building a k24 for boost and I was looking around for a good size turbo to use. I came across a cxracing 76mm dual ball bearing turbo and I wanted to know if that was an appropriate size. the ar is .81. my power goals are around 700-900whp. would a turbo that size take too long to spool? Would it be effective? Any feedback would be appreciated.

https://www.cxracing.com/turbocharge...RB-T76-P81-RRB

I would "assume" that you are new to this, which is perfectly fine. It's great to ask questions. It also seems like you took the "most turbo for the least money" search route...which isn't going to end well in most cases. The "would it take too long to spool"...I would think that would be negligible on a car making 7-900...especially when looking at a turbo of that size. Power and "spool up" is a give and take. You could do a lot more, with a lot less. Would it be effective...IMO, no, not at all. It would be like a 3 legged dog running a race... You don't want that turbo

As mentioned, a good 62mm will cover what you want power wise on a solid build and actually be "enjoyable" to drive, even a 64mm...dang sure not a "76mm".

yes

TheShodan 03-05-2019 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Balor_Gr (Post 51878532)
haha dont feel special . Agreeing is something i dont do a lot too.
People hit me with this "youre stuborn and know-all" shet a lot. :)

You too? :wack:

justrynagofast7 03-05-2019 07:28 PM

Thank you for the info. I will definitely be looking into something that is more appropriate for my build, and will be more effective. I didn't see any reviews on that cx turbo anywhere, or any other information of that matter. I also didn't feel like taking a $589 risk. So I asked before I bought. And given the amount of people telling me not to get it, Im gonna go the safe route and probably go with an s366.

Txdragon 03-06-2019 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by justrynagofast7 (Post 51879671)
Thank you for the info. I will definitely be looking into something that is more appropriate for my build, and will be more effective. I didn't see any reviews on that cx turbo anywhere, or any other information of that matter. I also didn't feel like taking a $589 risk. So I asked before I bought. And given the amount of people telling me not to get it, Im gonna go the safe route and probably go with an s366.

You will find VERY FEW reviews nowadays. Mostly in the form of forum posts/rants. I have experience with CX turbos, at least 1 of them. While not bad, I wouldn't really push it hard nor hold it to a high standard. It's not saying you shouldn't give it a try, but it IS a gamble in doing so. Especially at that level. If I **had** the disposable income to give it a shot I would, if that says anything. A person can not just say that a major brand is reliable because it's a major brand. That is so far from true it isn't funny. Installation plays at least half that role. Quite a few know my stance on this. Lol!
Anywho.. As for reviews.. They are becoming harder and harder to find. I have been trying to help that as I have reviewed a good deal of items I've thrown on the civic. The vendors I've recently purchased from will receive reviews on what I've purchased when the time comes; in hopes I can get a ball rolling..

solo227 03-06-2019 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by justrynagofast7 (Post 51879671)

You can actually get a Borg S366 for about that same price. Look on Ebay ive seen quite a few for less than $600 shipped.

AZ_CIVIC 03-06-2019 05:50 AM

You don’t find much reviews or advice because people usually don’t listen anyway. People used to want to save and get the best parts depending on what they were doing, now people go for as cheap as possible. For example I just watched my buddy tune a street driven Civic that made 720whp on a Borg and the thing was so damn laggy.

If I was going for 700-900 I would save my time and money and get a PTE 6266 gen2 and not look back. See I’m patient and will wait and save to get the right parts, not many people can do it because they just want cheap and rush to get going.

I lost a motor about 18 months ago and worked, saved and was patient to not get back going real fast but right.

TheShodan 03-06-2019 05:54 AM

Church....AZ_CIVIC..Church

solo227 03-06-2019 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by AZ_CIVIC (Post 51879823)
You don’t find much reviews or advice because people usually don’t listen anyway. People used to want to save and get the best parts depending on what they were doing, now people go for as cheap as possible. For example I just watched my buddy tune a street driven Civic that made 720whp on a Borg and the thing was so damn laggy.

If I was going for 700-900 I would save my time and money and get a PTE 6266 gen2 and not look back. See I’m patient and will wait and save to get the right parts, not many people can do it because they just want cheap and rush to get going.

I lost a motor about 18 months ago and worked, saved and was patient to not get back going real fast but right.

What's the comparable Comp turbo to the PTE 6266? If 700 is the goal and someone is looking for a cheaper alternative to the Precision Brand.

AZ_CIVIC 03-06-2019 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by solo227 (Post 51879878)
What's the comparable Comp turbo to the PTE 6266? If 700 is the goal and someone is looking for a cheaper alternative to the Precision Brand.

The Comp CT4 62mm is about 1500 bucks but the PTE 6266 Gen2 BB is about 1700 and will out perform the Comp

2x0 03-06-2019 07:45 AM

It seems there is also greater disparity between cheap knockoff parts and high quality parts. It's more difficult to find solid middle-of-the-road performance with good quality at a reasonable price. It's one end of the spectrum or the other. Which may not make a huge difference when looking at parts individually, for example spending an extra $500 for a Garrett turbo vs. an ebay one. But when you consider an entire build, these parts all add up to thousands more to do a quality build. This is why so many end up cheaping out on parts and not listening to advice, they simply cannot afford to do otherwise.

solo227 03-06-2019 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by AZ_CIVIC (Post 51879972)

The Comp CT4 62mm is about 1500 bucks but the PTE 6266 Gen2 BB is about 1700 and will out perform the Comp

Im assuming those are ball bearing units. Ill be sticking with the journal bearings.

thanks for the info...

AZ_CIVIC 03-06-2019 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by 2x0 (Post 51879988)
It seems there is also greater disparity between cheap knockoff parts and high quality parts. It's more difficult to find solid middle-of-the-road performance with good quality at a reasonable price. It's one end of the spectrum or the other. Which may not make a huge difference when looking at parts individually, for example spending an extra $500 for a Garrett turbo vs. an ebay one. But when you consider an entire build, these parts all add up to thousands more to do a quality build. This is why so many end up cheaping out on parts and not listening to advice, they simply cannot afford to do otherwise.

That’s the problem, racing and building a car to get 400 or more horsepower isn’t cheap and doing it right isn’t cheap but that is why you work and save. As for middle ground it’s available. I ran a Garrett t3t61 and made 715whp with that turbo and it lasted and is a good quality turbo and cost me about 900 bucks. I ran a lot of different journal bearing Garrett turbos in the past with great success, you don’t need BB or water cooled.

solo227 03-06-2019 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by 2x0 (Post 51879988)

If you do research "middle class" turbos can be had for decent prices($750-$1200).

Ball bearing turbos seem to lower bang for buck value unless money isn't an issue and your hard pressed to spool a turbo a few hundred rpms faster. A $1500-$1700 turbo will always come off as a luxury expense to me because I never plan to race professionally. And theres only a reasonable amount that I would like to drop into a Honda before it just makes sense to move onto another platform.

Autoworks 03-06-2019 08:18 AM

You don’t find much reviews or advice because people usually don’t listen anyway. People used to want to save and get the best parts depending on what they were doing, now people go for as cheap as possible.

Facts^
The balance is off between "those wanting to save and do it right" and those wanting to buy the cheapest part possible (which typically leads to a part out a few months later )

2x0 03-06-2019 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by AZ_CIVIC (Post 51880020)

That’s the problem, racing and building a car to get 400 or more horsepower isn’t cheap and doing it right isn’t cheap but that is why you work and save. As for middle ground it’s available. I ran a Garrett t3t61 and made 715whp with that turbo and it lasted and is a good quality turbo and cost me about 900 bucks. I ran a lot of different journal bearing Garrett turbos in the past with great success, you don’t need BB or water cooled.

No doubt, it is possible to find good value parts. My Garrett JB brand new was $800. But many will still look at that vs. a $300 BB turbo on ebay, at almost a third of the cost when they have little or no actual budget to spend and will opt for the ebay one. Because now they can still have a turbo that will make whooshy sounds and the "bling" factor of dual ball bearing :rolleyes:

Txdragon 03-06-2019 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Autoworks (Post 51880057)
Facts^
The balance is off between "those wanting to save and do it right" and those wanting to buy the cheapest part possible (which typically leads to a part out a few months later )

Or buying the good shit to replace the cheap shit later down the road, spending even more than it would have cost in the beginning.. :naughty: