Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/)
-   -   For a supercharged setup... what is better? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/supercharged-setup-what-better-1069049/)

jbell 11-28-2004 02:04 PM

For a supercharged setup... what is better?

it terms of reliability and power... what would be better to boost?

b16, jdm d15b vtec, or a b18b?

i tried searching for s/c setups and comparisons, and there isn't much info on it around here.

i know the d15 can take alot of hp over stock before things start to break.. but i hear the power is very limited with a stock motor... around 160ish to the wheels.

what would make more power, b18b or b16...

its use will be a daily driver. looking for a low 14, high 13 second car on street tires (2350lbs) (so i guess 185ish to the wheels?)

thanks to anyone who can answer this..

11psiTurboSI 11-28-2004 02:09 PM

Re: For a supercharged setup... what is better? (jbell)

b16 would make more hp but the b18b would make more torque.

wantboost 11-28-2004 02:21 PM

Re: For a supercharged setup... what is better? (9psiTurboSI)

either way, dohc rocks the box (bring it on, i have my flame suit and matching helmet)lol

MooreBoost 11-28-2004 02:24 PM

Re: For a supercharged setup... what is better? (wantboost)

I had two blower cars then when to turbo's and haven't looked back. I would seriously consider a turbo D16, cheap, and can make 200whp pretty easily.

wantboost 11-28-2004 02:27 PM

Re: For a supercharged setup... what is better? (tegunderpressure)

yea, blow up a d16, big deal, blow up a b16, grab your ankles and burn your wallet

jbell 11-28-2004 04:45 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tegunderpressure &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had two blower cars then when to turbo's and haven't looked back. I would seriously consider a turbo D16, cheap, and can make 200whp pretty easily.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i realize that turbo has more potential, however the upkeep and cost is what is steering me away. I don't want to do the budget shit setup with $25 dollar turbos and all that, I would want to do it right... and that wont happen for the price of a used blower....

MooreBoost 11-28-2004 05:24 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jbell &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and that wont happen for the price of a used blower.... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ofcourse it will, how much do you have set aside for the blower? I guarantee you can get a turbo running for that price.

wantboost 11-28-2004 05:29 PM

and make more power too, turbos have been proven to make more hp per dollar put into the system than a supercharger

jbell 11-28-2004 05:51 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wantboost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and make more power too, turbos have been proven to make more hp per dollar put into the system than a supercharger</TD></TR></TABLE>
i dont dobut that. infact, i know its true.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tegunderpressure &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ofcourse it will, how much do you have set aside for the blower? I guarantee you can get a turbo running for that price. </TD></TR></TABLE>

a used jrsc... say $1500.

MooreBoost 11-28-2004 07:00 PM

Used turbo- $250
JRC FMIC- $155
Piping- $255
FMU- $100
Fuel Pump- $90
Rank1Racing Mani- $240
Downpipe- $100
Filter- $30
Feed/Drain Lines- $70
=$1290

Everything but the turbo was figured with brand new pricing, so you could easily save substantially more just by shopping around, or spend the remainder and get a new turbo. My point is it can easily be done, and I know you will be happier with the results, and please note that is not a "ghetto" setup at all.

jbell 11-28-2004 08:44 PM

what about tuning, ecu (uberdata), blow off valve, fuel pump, wastegate, and guages (not really needed)

wantboost 11-28-2004 08:48 PM

p28 ecu -$120 (give or take)
Chip burner $90
Supplies to chip ecu - $30
BOV - $130
Wastegate - 215

jbell 11-28-2004 09:43 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wantboost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">p28 ecu -$120 (give or take)
Chip burner $90
Supplies to chip ecu - $30
BOV - $130
Wastegate - 215</TD></TR></TABLE>

so, like i said it would be cheaper to go s/c...

i just cant decide if i should go d15b vtec s/c or go b16, and then s/c down the road.

Tony the Tiger 11-29-2004 02:40 AM

Go B16 for S/C...

Sometimes it is not about how much power the engine makes; the way that the engine effectively uses the power to accelerate the car through gearing, redine and powerband is equally important.

I can tell you straight up that the DOHC VTEC will beat the D-series in the gearing, redline and powerband department.

I rarely hear folks blowing up their B16's with a near stock engine and a bolt-on JRSC. Unless you start doing something stupid, or else, they last quite a while. JRSC's a a bit pricey, but they are worth the money for a simple straight install with barely any maintenance at all.

MooreBoost 11-29-2004 07:15 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jbell &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what about tuning, ecu (uberdata), blow off valve, fuel pump, wastegate, and guages (not really needed)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just retard your timing and run on the rich side by reading your plugs and you will be fine. You can get a DSM BOV for 30 bucks, or an OBX one for 50. I included the fuel pump in my price and the turbo will be internally gated, an autometer boost gauge is like 30 bucks.