Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/)
-   -   Compressor wheel size comparison. Can it alone determine volume of airflow or HP? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/compressor-wheel-size-comparison-can-alone-determine-volume-airflow-hp-3333236/)

antoni 01-29-2019 12:58 PM

Compressor wheel size comparison. Can it alone determine volume of airflow or HP?

Hello guys i got a question about compressor wheels.

compressor wheel 1 exducer82mm inducer 54mm

compressor wheel 2 exducer 75mm inducer 60
mm

wich compressor wheel make more volume/hp?

TheShodan 01-29-2019 01:44 PM

re: Compressor wheel size comparison. Can it alone determine volume of airflow or HP?

Originally Posted by antoni (Post 51846505)
Hello guys i got a question about compressor wheels.

compressor wheel 1 exducer82mm inducer 54mm

compressor wheel 2 exducer 75mm inducer 60
mm

wich compressor wheel make more volume/hp?

Actual power output is determined by turbine wheel, not compressor wheel. Flow rates is compressor wheels are based upon their ability to compress air from the turbine.

With that said, compressor wheel profile is important too.

So instead of this abstract questioning, please show the turbos you propose as well as the purpose and power output you plan. Ok?

turboLScrx 01-29-2019 03:11 PM

re: Compressor wheel size comparison. Can it alone determine volume of airflow or HP?

Originally Posted by TheShodan (Post 51846546)
Actual power output is determined by turbine wheel, not compressor wheel. Flow rates is compressor wheels are based upon their ability to compress air from the turbine.

So instead of this abstract questioning, please show the turbos you propose as well as the purpose and power output you plan. Ok?

this is something that always baffled me trying to figure out...lol. I’m hoping I got the correct thing for myself and I’m intrigued by your answers here

TheShodan 01-29-2019 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by turboLScrx (Post 51846629)

this is something that always baffled me trying to figure out...lol. I’m hoping I got the correct thing for myself and I’m intrigued by your answers here

I'm creating a link to a white paper I made about year ago for an automotive mechanics seminar about how turbo designs effect power. I'll link our here shortly

antoni 01-30-2019 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by TheShodan (Post 51846546)

hello

i understand you, and 1 turbo is still on te car.

Inmagen if you got the same turbine, wich compressor wheel be better. 1 of 2 and tell why(example sape is the same)

TheShodan 01-30-2019 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by antoni (Post 51846907)
hello

i understand you, and 1 turbo is still on te car.

Inmagen if you got the same turbine, wich compressor wheel be better. 1 of 2 and tell why(example sape is the same)

Again, we have to see the profile and size. Really.... is not that simple.

antoni 01-30-2019 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by TheShodan (Post 51846959)
Again, we have to see the profile and size. Really.... is not that simple.

ok but over 1 year dont havr te time now.

but again same exhaust turbine, samen profile compressor wheel just differebt size. Cant you say a little bit what the effects are.

i wil make pictures in rhe future

TheShodan 01-30-2019 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by antoni (Post 51847385)
ok but over 1 year dont havr te time now.

but again same exhaust turbine, samen profile compressor wheel just differebt size. Cant you say a little bit what the effects are.

i wil make pictures in rhe future

No. Not with any certainty at all. The compressor wheel profile determines the efficiency of the ingested inflow of air to be converted to pressurized airflow. It may be a single bladed inducer, a splitter bladed design with a curved edge, etc. It all becomesxafactor with the inducer/exducer design sizes.

Can you at least say what company the turbocharger wad made? What engine application it came from? Compressor housing diameter size and A/R?

If not, wet can't really help at all, honestly.

antoni 01-30-2019 09:55 PM

Re: Compressor wheel size comparison. Can it alone determine volume of airflow or HP?

Originally Posted by TheShodan (Post 51847421)
No. Not with any certainty at all. The compressor wheel profile determines the efficiency of the ingested inflow of air to be converted to pressurized airflow. It may be a single bladed inducer, a splitter bladed design with a curved edge, etc. It all becomesxafactor with the inducer/exducer design sizes.

Can you at least say what company the turbocharger wad made? What engine application it came from? Compressor housing diameter size and A/R?

If not, wet can't really help at all, honestly.

its from china... twin scroll(rigjt one,left is a to4e). I wil make pictures when i got time i wil take both turbo apartto see the wheel.
Thankyou for the fast answers

a/r 50
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...711d551a0.jpeg

TheShodan 01-31-2019 08:40 AM

Re: Compressor wheel size comparison. Can it alone determine volume of airflow or HP?

Originally Posted by antoni (Post 51847768)
its from china... twin scroll(rigjt one,left is a to4e). I wil make pictures when i got time i wil take both turbo apartto see the wheel.
Thankyou for the fast answers

a/r 50

We'll get into the "twin Scroll" / Divided housing debate later (Hint: you more than likely don't have a "twin scroll" housing just a divided housing). But the fact that it was one of these Alibaba compressor wheels, means that you'll need to try them out to see. I was wondering why these measurements just seemed so odd.

motoxxxman 02-11-2019 04:50 PM

I'll add a simpler answer: the only way to determine potential power from a compressor wheel is to see the compressor flow chart for each compressor wheel. Size matters, but so do a LOT of other things. There are many times when a smaller wheel can actually flow a LOT more air that a larger wheel. For example, the new gen2 gtx2867r's are outflowing the older style GT3076's.

Shodan, I would actually argue with you that power potential is reliant on the turbine. Sure, it can definitely be true. But there are plenty of times when the compressor gets maxed out before the turbine does. There's also times when a turbo as a whole gets maxed out, and then slapping a larger compressor wheel on can flow a considerable higher volume of air due to lower turbo speeds and the extra exhaust bleeding out the wastegate.

TheShodan 02-12-2019 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by motoxxxman (Post 51858218)
I'll add a simpler answer: the only way to determine potential power from a compressor wheel is to see the compressor flow chart for each compressor wheel. Size matters, but so do a LOT of other things. There are many times when a smaller wheel can actually flow a LOT more air that a larger wheel. For example, the new gen2 gtx2867r's are outflowing the older style GT3076's.

Shodan, I would actually argue with you that power potential is reliant on the turbine. Sure, it can definitely be true. But there are plenty of times when the compressor gets maxed out before the turbine does. There's also times when a turbo as a whole gets maxed out, and then slapping a larger compressor wheel on can flow a considerable higher volume of air due to lower turbo speeds and the extra exhaust bleeding out the wastegate.

Re-read that. You're expressing my point exactly. The compressor wheel could easily be out- matched my three turbine, and vice versa. My point is that there is about a good 30% differential of sizing between the composite and exhaust wheels. That's why I'm taking the OP you can't just compare one clause wheel with another but size and attempt to guess power potential without taking the turbine wheel into account.

motoxxxman 02-12-2019 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by TheShodan (Post 51858692)
Re-read that. You're expressing my point exactly. The compressor wheel could easily be out- matched my three turbine, and vice versa. My point is that there is about a good 30% differential of sizing between the composite and exhaust wheels. That's why I'm taking the OP you can't just compare one clause wheel with another but size and attempt to guess power potential without taking the turbine wheel into account.

true, even if autocorrect typed more than you did haha.

Balor_Gr 02-13-2019 01:05 AM

The compressor dimentions can give a rough estimate of air flow. Horsepower, no. Not without the turbine wheel specs.
Its like trying to quess cylinder volume by knowing only the piston size...
Compressor consumes energy. How much energy the turbo as a whole unit will require to move the asked amount of flow is turbine dependent.

A full T4 turbo with a P-TRIM turbine wheel and 50 trim compressor will destroy on peak engine power a turbo with T3 stage T3 turbine wheel and the same 50 trim compressor.
Even if the T3 stg3 turbine wheel is more than enough the P-TRIM will make more ENGINE power.
It can be technical AF analysis to be 100% correct but at the end, result is delta Pressure dependent.

TheShodan 02-13-2019 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Balor_Gr (Post 51859547)
The compressor dimentions can give a rough estimate of air flow. Horsepower, no. Not without the turbine wheel specs.
Its like trying to quess cylinder volume by knowing only the piston size...
Compressor consumes energy. How much energy the turbo as a whole unit will require to move the asked amount of flow is turbine dependent.

A full T4 turbo with a P-TRIM turbine wheel and 50 trim compressor will destroy on peak engine power a turbo with T3 stage T3 turbine wheel and the same 50 trim compressor.
Even if the T3 stg3 turbine wheel is more than enough the P-TRIM will make more ENGINE power.
It can be technical AF analysis to be 100% correct but at the end, result is delta Pressure dependent.

This is true. But displacement of the engine and its exhaust turbine energy determines whether or not a P-trim is desired to use. Sure, it makes more peak hp, than a stage 3, but the behavior of the turbo on the 1.5-2.0 litre engine suffers horrible for street use. This is why combinations exist.

There was one company that did aftermarket turbos and all of them used P- trims, regardless of compressor wheel size. About 10 years ago. Needless to say, they changed their business model after trying to sell to d-series people and nothing but lag and complaints resulted..

Balor_Gr 02-14-2019 02:59 AM

Yeah of course p-trim 9out of 10 times is TOO MUCH . Thats another discussion :)

antoni 08-10-2019 11:22 PM

Hello

I finally made time to make some pictures fron turbo number 1.

The wheel are a bit bigger then the turbo on my crx. The style of the turbo is the same but i will take that turbo also appart.

But for now its a .63 ar dividit turbine house allot bigger then what i on the crx got. Does some one knows what this turbo can do max hp?

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...ee1c010dfe.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...3a9ed1abc9.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...af9ab6b41c.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...6f0b668045.jpg

TheShodan 08-11-2019 09:07 AM

Wow. Those numbers really are just outside of any reputable company's measurement's for a similar 50lbs/min turbocharger. They're using a turbine wheel which is actually larger than a P-trim, and still using a smaller compressor wheel inducer and larger compressor wheel exducer than anything from Garrett, Borg-Warner, or Turbonetics. So, it really goes back to what you were asking about almost a year ago. You've got major corrosion on the compressor wheel, which questions how long this wheel will last before destruction, but if you're asking if this will make 400whp-500whp, the answer is yes. If you're asking precisely at what boost pressure level that is required to do that, that can't be answered until you hit the dynamometer. If you're asking if this will be "laggy", that goes back to the amount of displacement and VE that the engine has. Anything that is under 1.8 litres in most Honda applications, yes, it will be laggy, and not behave very responsively.

So, there you have it. Although, I wouldn't re-install that based upon the condition of that compressor wheel. But as always, I wish you the best of luck.

Lee Connor 08-11-2019 12:18 PM

its got similar sized wheels to a hx35

TheShodan 08-11-2019 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Lee Connor (Post 51990697)
its got similar sized wheels to a hx35

Just enough to not violate any patents, but the petitioners are a little different than the Holset HX35

antoni 08-12-2019 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by TheShodan (Post 51990612)
Wow. Those numbers really are just outside of any reputable company's measurement's for a similar 50lbs/min turbocharger. They're using a turbine wheel which is actually larger than a P-trim, and still using a smaller compressor wheel inducer and larger compressor wheel exducer than anything from Garrett, Borg-Warner, or Turbonetics. So, it really goes back to what you were asking about almost a year ago. You've got major corrosion on the compressor wheel, which questions how long this wheel will last before destruction, but if you're asking if this will make 400whp-500whp, the answer is yes. If you're asking precisely at what boost pressure level that is required to do that, that can't be answered until you hit the dynamometer. If you're asking if this will be "laggy", that goes back to the amount of displacement and VE that the engine has. Anything that is under 1.8 litres in most Honda applications, yes, it will be laggy, and not behave very responsively.

So, there you have it. Although, I wouldn't re-install that based upon the condition of that compressor wheel. But as always, I wish you the best of luck.

I got a b16. I have now a t3 t4 turbo ebay full boost at about 4000rpm.

What if i use a fast spoolvalve?

My goal is 650hp. What would you advice put it on and try it of it wont work buy another one or sell it and buy another one.

TheShodan 08-12-2019 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by antoni (Post 51990866)
I got a b16. I have now a t3 t4 turbo ebay full boost at about 4000rpm.

What if i use a fast spoolvalve?

My goal is 650hp. What would you advice put it on and try it of it wont work buy another one or sell it and buy another one.

A spool valve will not help you here. You must buy another turbocharger to even begun to reach 650whp, on such small displacement. Something at least about 60lbs/min+

antoni 08-12-2019 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by TheShodan (Post 51990899)
A spool valve will not help you here. You must buy another turbocharger to even begun to reach 650whp, on such small displacement. Something at least about 60lbs/min+

Ok wich one from the non brand would you advice me ebay/ali.? Maybe a link.

I know a brand one is better but it for me just for hobby i drive 4 weeks a year...

Txdragon 08-12-2019 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by antoni (Post 51991213)
Ok wich one from the non brand would you advice me ebay/ali.? Maybe a link.

I know a brand one is better but it for me just for hobby i drive 4 weeks a year...

Asking Shodan which Ebay/Alibaba turbo he recommends is like asking a catholic priest which brand of scotch whiskey they prefer.

DaX 08-12-2019 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Txdragon (Post 51991260)
Asking Shodan which Ebay/Alibaba turbo he recommends is like asking a catholic priest which brand of scotch whiskey they prefer.

:lmao: