Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Honda and Acura Technical Forums > Forced Induction
Reload this Page >

Compressor wheel size comparison. Can it alone determine volume of airflow or HP?

Compressor wheel size comparison. Can it alone determine volume of airflow or HP?

Old 01-29-2019, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compressor wheel size comparison. Can it alone determine volume of airflow or HP?

Hello guys i got a question about compressor wheels.

compressor wheel 1 exducer82mm inducer 54mm

compressor wheel 2 exducer 75mm inducer 60
mm

wich compressor wheel make more volume/hp?
Old 01-29-2019, 01:44 PM

Default re: Compressor wheel size comparison. Can it alone determine volume of airflow or HP?

Originally Posted by antoni View Post
Hello guys i got a question about compressor wheels.

compressor wheel 1 exducer82mm inducer 54mm

compressor wheel 2 exducer 75mm inducer 60
mm

wich compressor wheel make more volume/hp?
Actual power output is determined by turbine wheel, not compressor wheel. Flow rates is compressor wheels are based upon their ability to compress air from the turbine.

With that said, compressor wheel profile is important too.

So instead of this abstract questioning, please show the turbos you propose as well as the purpose and power output you plan. Ok?
Old 01-29-2019, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: Compressor wheel size comparison. Can it alone determine volume of airflow or HP?

Originally Posted by TheShodan View Post
Actual power output is determined by turbine wheel, not compressor wheel. Flow rates is compressor wheels are based upon their ability to compress air from the turbine.

So instead of this abstract questioning, please show the turbos you propose as well as the purpose and power output you plan. Ok?

this is something that always baffled me trying to figure out...lol. Iím hoping I got the correct thing for myself and Iím intrigued by your answers here
Old 01-29-2019, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by turboLScrx View Post

this is something that always baffled me trying to figure out...lol. Iím hoping I got the correct thing for myself and Iím intrigued by your answers here
I'm creating a link to a white paper I made about year ago for an automotive mechanics seminar about how turbo designs effect power. I'll link our here shortly
Old 01-30-2019, 02:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hello

i understand you, and 1 turbo is still on te car.

Inmagen if you got the same turbine, wich compressor wheel be better. 1 of 2 and tell why(example sape is the same)
Old 01-30-2019, 05:38 AM

hello

i understand you, and 1 turbo is still on te car.

Inmagen if you got the same turbine, wich compressor wheel be better. 1 of 2 and tell why(example sape is the same)
Again, we have to see the profile and size. Really.... is not that simple.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Again, we have to see the profile and size. Really.... is not that simple.

ok but over 1 year dont havr te time now.

but again same exhaust turbine, samen profile compressor wheel just differebt size. Cant you say a little bit what the effects are.

i wil make pictures in rhe future
Old 01-30-2019, 12:56 PM

ok but over 1 year dont havr te time now.

but again same exhaust turbine, samen profile compressor wheel just differebt size. Cant you say a little bit what the effects are.

i wil make pictures in rhe future
No. Not with any certainty at all. The compressor wheel profile determines the efficiency of the ingested inflow of air to be converted to pressurized airflow. It may be a single bladed inducer, a splitter bladed design with a curved edge, etc. It all becomesxafactor with the inducer/exducer design sizes.

Can you at least say what company the turbocharger wad made? What engine application it came from? Compressor housing diameter size and A/R?

If not, wet can't really help at all, honestly.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Compressor wheel size comparison. Can it alone determine volume of airflow or HP?

No. Not with any certainty at all. The compressor wheel profile determines the efficiency of the ingested inflow of air to be converted to pressurized airflow. It may be a single bladed inducer, a splitter bladed design with a curved edge, etc. It all becomesxafactor with the inducer/exducer design sizes.

Can you at least say what company the turbocharger wad made? What engine application it came from? Compressor housing diameter size and A/R?

If not, wet can't really help at all, honestly.

its from china... twin scroll(rigjt one,left is a to4e). I wil make pictures when i got time i wil take both turbo apartto see the wheel.
Thankyou for the fast answers

a/r 50

Old 01-31-2019, 08:40 AM

Default Re: Compressor wheel size comparison. Can it alone determine volume of airflow or HP?

its from china... twin scroll(rigjt one,left is a to4e). I wil make pictures when i got time i wil take both turbo apartto see the wheel.
Thankyou for the fast answers

a/r 50
We'll get into the "twin Scroll" / Divided housing debate later (Hint: you more than likely don't have a "twin scroll" housing just a divided housing). But the fact that it was one of these Alibaba compressor wheels, means that you'll need to try them out to see. I was wondering why these measurements just seemed so odd.

Old 02-11-2019, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll add a simpler answer: the only way to determine potential power from a compressor wheel is to see the compressor flow chart for each compressor wheel. Size matters, but so do a LOT of other things. There are many times when a smaller wheel can actually flow a LOT more air that a larger wheel. For example, the new gen2 gtx2867r's are outflowing the older style GT3076's.

Shodan, I would actually argue with you that power potential is reliant on the turbine. Sure, it can definitely be true. But there are plenty of times when the compressor gets maxed out before the turbine does. There's also times when a turbo as a whole gets maxed out, and then slapping a larger compressor wheel on can flow a considerable higher volume of air due to lower turbo speeds and the extra exhaust bleeding out the wastegate.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by motoxxxman View Post
I'll add a simpler answer: the only way to determine potential power from a compressor wheel is to see the compressor flow chart for each compressor wheel. Size matters, but so do a LOT of other things. There are many times when a smaller wheel can actually flow a LOT more air that a larger wheel. For example, the new gen2 gtx2867r's are outflowing the older style GT3076's.

Shodan, I would actually argue with you that power potential is reliant on the turbine. Sure, it can definitely be true. But there are plenty of times when the compressor gets maxed out before the turbine does. There's also times when a turbo as a whole gets maxed out, and then slapping a larger compressor wheel on can flow a considerable higher volume of air due to lower turbo speeds and the extra exhaust bleeding out the wastegate.
Re-read that. You're expressing my point exactly. The compressor wheel could easily be out- matched my three turbine, and vice versa. My point is that there is about a good 30% differential of sizing between the composite and exhaust wheels. That's why I'm taking the OP you can't just compare one clause wheel with another but size and attempt to guess power potential without taking the turbine wheel into account.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Re-read that. You're expressing my point exactly. The compressor wheel could easily be out- matched my three turbine, and vice versa. My point is that there is about a good 30% differential of sizing between the composite and exhaust wheels. That's why I'm taking the OP you can't just compare one clause wheel with another but size and attempt to guess power potential without taking the turbine wheel into account.
true, even if autocorrect typed more than you did haha.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The compressor dimentions can give a rough estimate of air flow. Horsepower, no. Not without the turbine wheel specs.
Its like trying to quess cylinder volume by knowing only the piston size...
Compressor consumes energy. How much energy the turbo as a whole unit will require to move the asked amount of flow is turbine dependent.

A full T4 turbo with a P-TRIM turbine wheel and 50 trim compressor will destroy on peak engine power a turbo with T3 stage T3 turbine wheel and the same 50 trim compressor.
Even if the T3 stg3 turbine wheel is more than enough the P-TRIM will make more ENGINE power.
It can be technical AF analysis to be 100% correct but at the end, result is delta Pressure dependent.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Balor_Gr View Post
The compressor dimentions can give a rough estimate of air flow. Horsepower, no. Not without the turbine wheel specs.
Its like trying to quess cylinder volume by knowing only the piston size...
Compressor consumes energy. How much energy the turbo as a whole unit will require to move the asked amount of flow is turbine dependent.

A full T4 turbo with a P-TRIM turbine wheel and 50 trim compressor will destroy on peak engine power a turbo with T3 stage T3 turbine wheel and the same 50 trim compressor.
Even if the T3 stg3 turbine wheel is more than enough the P-TRIM will make more ENGINE power.
It can be technical AF analysis to be 100% correct but at the end, result is delta Pressure dependent.
This is true. But displacement of the engine and its exhaust turbine energy determines whether or not a P-trim is desired to use. Sure, it makes more peak hp, than a stage 3, but the behavior of the turbo on the 1.5-2.0 litre engine suffers horrible for street use. This is why combinations exist.

There was one company that did aftermarket turbos and all of them used P- trims, regardless of compressor wheel size. About 10 years ago. Needless to say, they changed their business model after trying to sell to d-series people and nothing but lag and complaints resulted..
Old 02-14-2019, 02:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah of course p-trim 9out of 10 times is TOO MUCH . Thats another discussion

Last edited by Balor_Gr; 02-14-2019 at 03:33 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: