Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Classic Hondas (https://honda-tech.com/forums/classic-hondas-106/)
-   -   1978 cvcc hatchback build (https://honda-tech.com/forums/classic-hondas-106/1978-cvcc-hatchback-build-3295637/)

fuzzysig 03-29-2017 08:29 AM

1978 cvcc hatchback build

we got a 1978 civic hatchback cvcc with 1.5liter motor

taking the engine apart

what would be some things to do while rebuilding

is it possible to put a small turbo or supercharger on this

we try to make it a mini civic type-r but chose not to replace the original motor with a boosted single cam
so if possible turbo on original motor

DA BOSS 03-30-2017 04:20 AM

Re: 1978 cvcc hatchback build

Do yourself a favor and swap in a D16Z6 since you're going through the trouble. You'll be getting a MUCH more modern platform to work from that has gobs of aftermarket support - and stronger components that can handle the turbo later.

If you do decide to boost it - you're gonna need an aftermarket blow-thru carb setup (or modify factory carb... pretty expensive either way), supplimental fuel (one idea is to power an additional injector based on rpm w/ something cheap like Megasquirt)... and a way to tune it all. All of these issues have been solved before (you'll no doubt end up on the Buick GN boards for tech) with the EB series motors... but my suggestion is to do yourself a favor and go D16Z6.

Blue-Civic-Hybrid 03-30-2017 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by DA BOSS (Post 51242987)
Do yourself a favor and swap in a D16Z6 since you're going through the trouble. You'll be getting a MUCH more modern platform to work from that has gobs of aftermarket support - and stronger components that can handle the turbo later.

If you do decide to boost it - you're gonna need an aftermarket blow-thru carb setup (or modify factory carb... pretty expensive either way), supplimental fuel (one idea is to power an additional injector based on rpm w/ something cheap like Megasquirt)... and a way to tune it all. All of these issues have been solved before (you'll no doubt end up on the Buick GN boards for tech) with the EB series motors... but my suggestion is to do yourself a favor and go D16Z6.

What he said up there...

fuzzysig 03-31-2017 10:04 AM

how much cutting do I have to do for d series?
I don't want to cut up the frame to fit a motor in it. this is the original 1.5l cvcc 5 speed hatch the original motor still good just needs new gaskets etc

fuzzysig 03-31-2017 02:20 PM

is there a fuel injected engine that is a direct swap into it?

Full_Tilt 03-31-2017 04:06 PM

A d-series swap is going to require custom mounts. I think the axles may work between a 1st gen E series and a D series, but Im not 100% sure. It has been done before though. Get to googlin'.

You may want to consider finding an EK 1.8L engine out of an old accord/prelude. Should be a direct swap as it is just a bigger displacement E series engine.

Im not sure if you will be able to use any factory Honda EFI intake manifold on a CVCC E-series. The later E series like the EWs found in 1st gen CRXs didnt have CVCC.

fuzzysig 04-01-2017 12:08 PM

music to my ears lol

what about transmission?
are those accord prelude transmissions would work in the civic? or bolt on to the stock 5 speed civic transmission?

i never even looked into this . i like b series and know a lot about those snd some d series but not this

any old guys that done it can help me out with just random questions picking their brain i have been googling but the info it hidden on bunch of random tiny webpages here and there unlike b series
I'm finding small bits of info scattered all around

Adam Williams 03-06-2018 09:03 PM

[QUOTE=fuzzysig;51245098]music to my ears lol

what about transmission?
are those accord prelude transmissions would work in the civic? or bolt on to the stock 5 speed civic transmission?

i never even looked into this . i like b series and know a lot about those snd some d series but not this

any old guys that done it can help me out with just random questions picking their brain i have been googling but the info it hidden on bunch of random tiny webpages here and there unlike b series
I'm finding small bits of info scattered all around[/QUOTE

There is a lot of cutting required to do a b swap. I have some pics I can upload soon of a 78 I am working on putting a supercharged itr into. Also I have a factory 1.5 that came out with only 70k if someone needs it.