Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   All Motor / Naturally Aspirated (https://honda-tech.com/forums/all-motor-naturally-aspirated-44/)
-   -   Skunk 2 Cam gear cracked. (https://honda-tech.com/forums/all-motor-naturally-aspirated-44/skunk-2-cam-gear-cracked-2833601/)

3s1k 09-09-2010 05:14 PM

Skunk 2 Cam gear cracked.

On the exhaust cam, funny thing is I read about this before and wondered if it would happen to me. Well it did. I drove about 2 miles back home and pulled the cover thinking it was a bent valve. Looks like the motor might be safe but won't know till i put some new gears on. Will post pix later.

What do you guys think I should do?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4111/...6f45929b_z.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4109/...fb5c5329_z.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4106/...73ede11e_z.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4152/...eab9e9e8_z.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4149/...89b7e28a_z.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4089/...18fc59e2_z.jpg

00Red_SiR 09-09-2010 05:40 PM

Re: Skunk 2 Cam gear cracked.

call skunk?

3s1k 09-09-2010 06:03 PM

I'm gonna take some pix first and email them. I know they're gonna want to see this. I'll snag some pix while they are still in the motor.

raverx3m 09-09-2010 07:03 PM

dang lol i almost spent 220 on those
interesting, especially after watching skunk 2 doggin on "blax" on their webpage.

which means if blox did copy their design it will have same issues.

unless blox actually tested the design before releasing it also.

EdSales 09-09-2010 07:43 PM

And threads like these only re-assure my descision to get either Buddy Club or Toda Cam Gears/Cam Shafts.

raverx3m 09-09-2010 07:52 PM

btw are toda and buddy club camshafts made of same grade metal as OEM(steel) or is it softer metal like skunk2 (chillcast iron)?

EdSales 09-09-2010 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by raverx3m (Post 43502158)
btw are toda and buddy club camshafts made of same grade metal as OEM(steel) or is it softer metal like skunk2 (chillcast iron)?

I honestly couldn't tell you, but I don't see many people using Toda or BC stuff complaining about things breaking or wearing out.

92TypeR 09-09-2010 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by 3s1k (Post 43500959)
On the exhaust cam, funny thing is I read about this before and wondered if it would happen to me. Well it did. I drove about 2 miles back home and pulled the cover thinking it was a bent valve. Looks like the motor might be safe but won't know till i put some new gears on. Will post pix later.

What do you guys think I should do?

Contact Skunk2.

Did you use a torque wrench? If so, what torque values?

I've had my Pro-series gears apart a few dozen times, always torqued the allen head fasteners to 6 ft-lbs with blue Loctite.

I am not implying that your failure was from negligent use, but I would guess that most people do not use a torque wrench. The locking allen heads on these gears are not intended to be torqued much beyond 6-7 ft-lbs. There have been a few instances where the gears cracked with just 'wrist tight' installation, which is probably 15-20 ft-lbs.

Top Ramen 09-09-2010 09:32 PM

I used a torque wrench on mine and one cracked at 6 ft-lb. Skunk2 replaced it, but they made me pay them a deposit first, which is a pretty crappy way to treat someone after you sold them a defective product.

3s1k 09-09-2010 10:34 PM

I had someone do the work. Idk if they used a torque wrench or not. I'm not expecting them to give me anything. Just want them to know that there might be a flaw in the design. Maybe they'll will come out with a Pro Series gen 2 or something. I emailed them, see what they say.

3s1k 09-10-2010 05:02 PM

Added pix, I also got ahold of Joe at Skunk2 and sent him the photos. I'm hoping there isn't any more damage then the gear and the valve cover. I'm guessing the knocking I heard was the hex bolt cutting into the valve cover. The gear did look like it slide a few degrees, hopefully not enough to cause V2P issues. I doubt it since I kept it under 3500rpms.

PyroProblem 09-10-2010 05:40 PM

I think the Golden Eagle and Bisimoto gears are worth looking at...
That sucks, but it could be alot worse!

3s1k 09-10-2010 06:30 PM

Yea I know, it could have torn up my whole motor. Never thought I would second guess SK2 parts. I need to get it running asap and my options are stock for $20 or AEM Tru time for $40.

raverx3m 09-10-2010 06:46 PM

what about skunk2 tuner cams, they seem to be designed a bit better, theres no thin parts on the cam gear that would crack from stress like this,

00Red_SiR 09-11-2010 05:09 AM

Judging by where the breaks/cracks are in those gears, I'd say the bolts were overtorqued. Skunk has had problems with their pro series cam gears but the general feeling is that it's because the gear is not machined large enough around where it slides over the end of the cam and the cam key in particular causing stress in that area and eventually cracks to start and work their way out through the spokes of the cam gear.

Overtorquing the main cam bolt more than 22ft/lbs is one of the most common things that can also cause a cam gear to crack and fail in a similar way which is why they need to take the cam gears back for evaluation.

DB2-R81 09-11-2010 08:22 AM

There really should be a link to previous thread/threads on concerns with these cam gears.

See: https://honda-tech.com/forums/all-motor-naturally-aspirated-44/skunk2-pro-series-camgear-failure-2661164/

They may or may not be related however they do involve the same product.

bakomack 09-11-2010 11:50 AM

I have a set of aem tru times the 3 bolt design, I rounded one of the hex bolts. so I called arp and spent 6 dollars on some pontiac car gear bolts. exact same size and pitch as the aem hes bolts. had them apart prob 15 times or more and have never had them slip or anything

nus_dogg 09-11-2010 03:43 PM

Damn, that sucks. I have the same Pro Series cam gears on my H22.

3s1k 09-13-2010 09:57 AM

Got some stock ones installed yesterday, Motor sounds ok and seems to run normal so I don't suspect anything else was damaged. Also talked to Joe @ SK2 and he's sending me a fedex label so I can send these out to them and I can get another set. I wasn't expecting anything or asked for another set, just wanted to show them. He's really be awesome throughout this whole thing. I give a big thumbs up to Skunk2's customer service.

Skunk2Brian 09-13-2010 04:11 PM

We back our products plain and simple. Rest assured you will get a brand new set of gears free of charge. I cannot speak to how some other companies handle warranty claims as I have not experienced it first hand. I can say that Skunk2 is genuinely interested in helping people out in the off chance that they experience a problem. To the OP if you desperately need the car up and running let Joe know and what we will do is sell you your replacement set at a core charge. We can then get you the gears immediately so you can get up and running and then refund you in full once we get the old ones back. We can have those gears in your hands in a day or two.

Edit: DOH noticed you already had it running. Offer still stands though.

3s1k 09-13-2010 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Skunk2Brian (Post 43528601)
We back our products plain and simple. Rest assured you will get a brand new set of gears free of charge. I cannot speak to how some other companies handle warranty claims as I have not experienced it first hand. I can say that Skunk2 is genuinely interested in helping people out in the off chance that they experience a problem. To the OP if you desperately need the car up and running let Joe know and what we will do is sell you your replacement set at a core charge. We can then get you the gears immediately so you can get up and running and then refund you in full once we get the old ones back. We can have those gears in your hands in a day or two.

Edit: DOH noticed you already had it running. Offer still stands though.

Yea I had some stockers tossed in cause I wanted to see if there was any more damage but it seems to be good. Again thank you guys so much, the customer service was way beyond what I was expecting, thank you. I'm just waiting for the shipping label and these will be on there way.

raverx3m 09-13-2010 05:15 PM

so in case like this, where if the fault is found in the cam gear design, does a company cover any other damage to the engine besides the faulty product replacement.

just wondering.

Skunk2Brian 09-14-2010 02:32 PM

From a legal standpoint:

Group A Autosports Inc. shall not be liable for any special, direct, indirect incidental or consequential damages that may be claimed as a result of the failure of any product, including claims for delay, loss of profits or labor.

I quoted that directly of our warranty policy that is printed on everything we sell.

From a practical standpoint we evaluate any case in which damage occurs on a case by case basis. Although we are not legally liable for any damages incurred we always do our best to help a customer in need. There are a number of ways we go about about this but it really depends on the circumstances surrounding the case.

raverx3m 09-14-2010 02:38 PM

cool just wanted to know since a skunk2 guy was here.:)

3s1k 09-14-2010 02:48 PM

It was a good question and thanks for answering it. I was wondering the same thing myself. Luckily the only damage was when the gears started to do its own moon cut valve cover hehe.