Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Acura NSX (https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-nsx-43/)
-   -   Using an NSX as a daily driver.. (https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-nsx-43/using-nsx-daily-driver-2770531/)

goforbroke 07-20-2010 04:45 AM

Re: Using an NSX as a daily driver..

I've been to Hacken NJ before and I wouldn't want to daily drive a NSX out there. I'm a little more older then you and honestly I wouldn't want to own a NSX at 19 let alone DD one, but thats just how I feel. Take that 30k and invest the money it will be worth it ten fold years down the line.

360ef 07-23-2010 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Ponyboy (Post 42364108)
Get a job, buy the house...then buy your NSX.

this is advice id go with. I used to be like too when i was younger all i thought about was having a nice car that I can show off, look good in etc..

but you grow older and realize the nice car comes AFTER having a family, house...

but if i had spare money lying around I wouldnt hesitate to buy one after i have the more important stuff taken care of. After all, this is my favourite Honda.

Ponyboy 09-03-2010 06:51 AM

So did you get the NSX?

Samuraij 09-21-2010 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Ponyboy (Post 43453607)
So did you get the NSX?

oooo. forgot about this thread. did the op get his NSX? is he still looking? or did he just give up?

8VEYBEYB 09-21-2010 08:27 AM

I am confused by all the lying this guy is doing.

ForceFed Motorsports 09-21-2010 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by 360ef (Post 43105313)
but you grow older and realize the nice car comes AFTER having a family, house...

Totally depends on peoples circumstances. My wife and I arent ready to be home owners, not because we cant afford it but because we arent ready for that responsibility. Therefore, owning an NSX doesnt put me outside of my means of living and is very affordable.

Someday we will look into purchasing a home but until then Ill continue to enjoy my car ;)

pokestick101 10-02-2010 12:19 PM

id get an NSX for everyday After all it is an NSX !

ExplodingIbaLs 10-12-2010 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by GS'D YA (Post 42621226)
LMAO! enjoy the cost of ownership of an NSX, and you live in NJ? and you want to DD it?? gonna be honest, that sounds a little, well...off

maybe he'll buy a targa and just fist pump while he drives...

i kid i kid

ForceFed Motorsports 10-12-2010 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by ExplodingIbaLs (Post 43758121)
maybe he'll buy a targa and just fist pump while he drives...

i kid i kid

Hahaha, just made my afternoon lol.

If you do the work yourself cost of ownership isnt bad, just an over glorified honda really. Not detracting from the engineering but really other than the badges the parts are not made from unitanium there made from aluminum :P

ExplodingIbaLs 10-12-2010 02:32 PM

I have an FD Rx7 as a weekend car. Everyone thinks that they're money pits and the motors blow all the time but if you do all the "reliability mods" and drive like an @sshole you're good. The car handles like a dream and I get compliments everywhere I go.

B serious 10-13-2010 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by ediddynsx (Post 42369541)
Also by the end of the day for me driving mines I get wiped out from driving.....you tend to be more focused on the road as in potholes, debris, and other drivers. So when I get home and park in the garage I am pooped.

Sounds SOOOOOOOO stressful. I bet you had all the same issues while driving your dinosaur back in the day.

I don't really see why a NSX would make a bad daily driver. I daily my lowered S2000 in the summer...on horrible chicagoland streets. I'm never "wiped out". I think that's a little over dramatic. I never really wanna get outta the car. You have to pry me out of it (not just because it's got recaro pole positions either). He said he doesn't need practicality...and that's really the only gripe.

ForceFed Motorsports 10-13-2010 07:40 PM

Love my car to death, won't drive anything else. Would only buy newer if this one went away. Can't stop looking at it, love driving it, never tired of it.

NSXRguy 10-18-2010 12:06 PM

did op get it?i know he wants in the 20k range, but can he afford all the shit that needs to be fixed that comes with the cheap price

ExplodingIbaLs 10-18-2010 04:00 PM

we've been had ladies and gents...

plsarestupid 10-18-2010 08:48 PM

I live in morris county and brought my car down to rutgers... stolen. and it was a civic si hatch... I would presume that the thieves would rather have your nsx... honestly if i were you I'd buy a 500 dollar car to drive daily and lock your 3000gt in a garage and take the engine out every night to make sure no one steals it... I dropped all of my money into that civic and i too am 19 and now im down about 4 grand and am carless... I know NJ feels safe but I feel like with the douche bag drivers and the amount of low life... its not worth haggling insurance trying to tell them how much you loved your car..

NA1NSX8 10-20-2010 09:58 PM

+1 I also use my NSX as a DD

ForceFed Motorsports 10-21-2010 07:18 AM

Actually a thief would be able to part out and sell a stolen civic over an NSX much easier. Possibly due to the rarity or the fact that NSX owners dont leave their cars parked outside generally you dont hardly ever hear of one stolen and even if they are Id say the majority are recovered nearly in tact.

Civic, Integra, etc. have such a wide market you could strip that thing down to a shell and have the parts sold over night seems like. Who is going to steal an NSX and have to pretty much throw away the frame thats still worth bank after they have stripped it down. Plus sell parts that dont apply to any other vehicle but the NSX.

NSX community is very tight as well. Craigslist postings that look fishy are usually exposed pretty quickly and you would have a tough time selling NSX specific parts on the forums without someone finding out.

plsarestupid 10-21-2010 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by ForceFed Motorsports (Post 43827477)
Actually a thief would be able to part out and sell a stolen civic over an NSX much easier. Possibly due to the rarity or the fact that NSX owners dont leave their cars parked outside generally you dont hardly ever hear of one stolen and even if they are Id say the majority are recovered nearly in tact.

Civic, Integra, etc. have such a wide market you could strip that thing down to a shell and have the parts sold over night seems like. Who is going to steal an NSX and have to pretty much throw away the frame thats still worth bank after they have stripped it down. Plus sell parts that dont apply to any other vehicle but the NSX.

NSX community is very tight as well. Craigslist postings that look fishy are usually exposed pretty quickly and you would have a tough time selling NSX specific parts on the forums without someone finding out.

this is a good point. but as a DD it won't be parked inside all of the time and in the case of my car it was stolen for the rims and then just damaged for fun(probably high school kids or crackheads). Poeple have no shame. Rims are a universal part to an extent and this still doesnt change the fact that people in NJ drive like maniacs... Both me and my brother have had our cars T-boned and totaled and in both instances it was the other driver who was at fault. I know you can't live afraid to do anything but I'm just saying as a 19 yr old trying to buy a house maybe the nsx as a dd isn't the greatest idea. but hey if I had the money I would love to dd an NSX there awesome cars.

Samuraij 10-21-2010 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by ForceFed Motorsports (Post 43827477)

Very few thieves will steal a car for joy rides, they steal cars to part out. I've never had an NSX or know anybody with an NSX so I'm going to assume that the dude I quoted is right and that moving stolen NSX parts is hard and they're going to be easy to trace.

The primary concern for me of having a nice car like an NSX is vandalism and having it broken into, but I'm just like that cause I grew up in a place where people can't have nice things cause of assholes.

plsarestupid 10-21-2010 12:19 PM

just sayin that my experience with car theft was more of a hater job. took a knife to the dash board and broke just about everything they could to steal rims and a gauge cluster. so Idk definately agree with the vandalism thing. park your car 5 miles away from everyone and tuck it in at night. although most ppl who don't know honda/acura wouldn't even know an NSX isn't an italian sportscar so it would probably get some respect haha.. so OP did you get the NSX or what?...

moddiction 10-21-2010 01:48 PM

I'd def rock an NSX as a daily. I daily drive my supercharged S2000 with no problems. Sure I get door dings and lots of rock chips but wouldn't want to daily a beater at all when I could drive this. Don't see the NSX being much different at all.

ForceFed Motorsports 10-21-2010 08:45 PM

This is the follow up thread for the guy that got his NSX stolen, he found it. The thieves stole the typical things like stereo and interior stuff like I mentioned but didnt strip it down, just was driving it around town haha.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141874

Just to sell something like an engine or trans on prime has to have record of proof of ownership/VIN's.

Overall Id say yes Im most afraid of people just being stupid with my car and messing with it or just being careless around it. Try to just keep it within sight as much as possible.

Ponyboy 10-22-2010 06:45 AM

As another point of reference:

A buddy of mine, here in Tulsa, took his wife to the movies in their NSX (white w/ white volks) one night. Came back after the movie, and it was gone. Fairly rare color and even more rare wheels. Not a hint of anything being parted out on craigs list or ebay.

Prime reference thread: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showt...t=stolen+tulsa

ForceFed Motorsports 10-22-2010 03:54 PM

Definitely sucks but your right anything can still happen. Long as you play it smart though dont always have to live in fear like mentioned. That case you figure the car may have been loaded up on a boat and shipped off to south america for all you know. Or just hide in a warehouse for a few years till the part out.

I leave the car NO where unattended. That includes going to dinner, movies, mall, anywhere that the car will be in the dark or even daylight more than just a few minutes.

I leave the ego at home and drive my wifes Volvo instead of the NSX when we want to go places for the night haha. If you can figure out how to steal a car that doesnt require a key and sends start and steering column unlock signals over a CAN bus then you deserve it. Im a Volvo technician and wouldnt be able to do it lol.

nsxxtreme 10-25-2010 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by marksnsx (Post 42366644)
I use my 91 NSX as a daily driver for the past 7 years. It's got a >150k miles on it and the only reactive maintenance I've done on it was replacing a blown clutch after 150,400 miles last week.

150k miles out of a NSX clutch you sure about that? I replaced mine at 50k miles I havn't heard of any lasting that long.