Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Acura Integra (https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-6/)
-   -   oil leak exhaust manifold (https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-6/oil-leak-exhaust-manifold-2868355/)

lazyxmofo 11-30-2010 03:47 PM

oil leak exhaust manifold

so i recently changed the head on my gsr. started the car then oil was leaking INSIDE the exhaust manifold only in cylinder #4. no oil is dripping onto the manifold. also the brand new spark plug in #4 was burned and had a oil on the thread..anyone know whats wrong? valve guide seal? bad block??

wunfstgsr 11-30-2010 04:06 PM

Re: oil leak exhaust manifold

check the rubber o ring for spark plug #4 under the v.c. Did you torque the head right and did you use arp head studs or did you reuse the oem head studs? the oem ones are pretty much no good once they come off once. they strech and you wont get the right torqe value using them.

lazyxmofo 11-30-2010 04:11 PM

the rubber ring for #4 is still good. i torqued the head right but i used the bolts that came with the head he said they were brand new. but would that still cause the oil leak from the ex mani?

wunfstgsr 11-30-2010 05:01 PM

is coming out the ex. port from the head? if not it may be a oil leak driping down there like from the cam seal or dizzy.

ROMOJDM 11-30-2010 05:05 PM

It sounds like your vlaves are no good.
if you did a recent oil change there might be a slight chance that it has too much oil as well. I know it sounds dumb but it happens.

lazyxmofo 11-30-2010 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr (Post 44125045)
is coming out the ex. port from the head? if not it may be a oil leak driping down there like from the cam seal or dizzy.

[IMG=http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/9012/headerk0.jpg][/IMG]

the red line is where its leaking from..i start the car and see bubbling oil comming out slowly..thats not my headers..just a pic to show an idea of where its comming from

lazyxmofo 11-30-2010 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by ROMOJDM (Post 44125086)
It sounds like your vlaves are no good.
if you did a recent oil change there might be a slight chance that it has too much oil as well. I know it sounds dumb but it happens.

how can i tell if the valves are bad? i recently bought a new head from cl..bad idea? it was resurfaced at the machine shop and cleaned out and the valves looks brand new...and i only put 4 quartz of oil in ...maybe less

wunfstgsr 11-30-2010 07:01 PM

check the vc gasket

lazyxmofo 11-30-2010 07:49 PM

actually it cant be the vc gasket...oil is not dripping from the vc...the thing is the oil is literally comming out from the headers..nothing is dripping on it...

lazyxmofo 11-30-2010 10:56 PM

anyone?

mouab18c1 11-30-2010 11:14 PM

Could be a headgasket

lazyxmofo 11-30-2010 11:20 PM

nope i just bought a new head + a new head gasket

mouab18c1 12-01-2010 12:13 AM

Is the head flat? What headstuds are you using?

lazyxmofo 12-01-2010 12:10 PM

could piston rings be causing this?

el crapitan 12-01-2010 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr (Post 44124644)
you reuse the oem head studs? the oem ones are pretty much no good once they come off once. they strech and you wont get the right torqe value using them.

firstly, the oem uses bolts, not studs.
secondly, those bolts are perfectly fine for re-use. they're torque to spec, not torque to yield.

op, what exactly is your problem? are you saying there's oil INSIDE the runner? or is it outside?

AutoShepherd 12-01-2010 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by lazyxmofo (Post 44130829)
could piston rings be causing this?

If this has happened before you installed the head, then bad piston rings could be a probable cause. However, this sounds like it could be a bad valve seal or a bad valve guide. But piston rings could still be a cause.

Check out Scott_Tucker's post on this thread, he explains how to diagnose it very well.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/all-motor-naturally-aspirated-44/help-me-my-compression-readings-2864654/

lazyxmofo 12-01-2010 04:32 PM

thanks ill check it out

mouab18c1 12-01-2010 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by el crapitan (Post 44131747)
firstly, the oem uses bolts, not studs.
secondly, those bolts are perfectly fine for re-use. they're torque to spec, not torque to yield.

op, what exactly is your problem? are you saying there's oil INSIDE the runner? or is it outside?

OEM head bolts are nut meant to be used more than once.

el crapitan 12-01-2010 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by mouab18c1 (Post 44133401)
OEM head bolts are nut meant to be used more than once.

yes they are. as long as they're not torque to yield. nor have shown obvious signs of stretching

lazyxmofo 12-01-2010 11:25 PM

there was no stretching on my bolts...well im beginning to think its the piston rings...i guess im going to look for a new block

mouab18c1 12-01-2010 11:35 PM

So this is your original block that never had an issue before? You just changed out the head for a new one? If thats the case then there is something wrong besides piston rings taking a dump when changing out the head. Only things that are reasonable are a warped head, bad head bolts/studs, backwards head-gasket bad valve stem seals or in properly torquing the studs down.

Prozon 12-02-2010 12:53 AM

Sounds to me like it could be your valves or valve guide/seal. Especially if it started when you put the head on. If it were the rings it would probably be smoking pretty bad too. I'd put money it's the head.

I'm going to assume that you know how to properly torque a head. Even so, if it was not torqued well enough or it had a bad head gasket, i'm not sure oil would be leaking into the exhaust.

As for the head bolts, they are not torque to yield. They can be re-used.

To the OP:
Unless the problem has been like this for awhile I doubt it is the rings. Even if it were the rings, you would be better off installing rings then you would buying another Craigslist part that probably isn't in any better shape.

mouab18c1 12-02-2010 10:24 AM

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/oil-exhaust-port-help-2255807/

Read this thread. Might give you some insight

mouab18c1 12-02-2010 10:33 AM

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/cyli...d-install.html

lazyxmofo 12-02-2010 05:08 PM

thanks a lot ill take a look