Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Acura Integra (https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-6/)
-   -   Cam seal oil leak, B18B Integra (https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-6/cam-seal-oil-leak-b18b-integra-2663853/)

senser1080 10-14-2009 06:13 PM

Cam seal oil leak, B18B Integra

So I recently replaced my dinky plastic, and leaking cam seal cap, with an eBay metal one with two o-rings. I torqued things down properly and still I leak MORE oil than I did before.

It's leaking onto my transmission, block, in between the last two ports of my exhaust manifold, and, spraying onto my distributor.

Any ideas?

Jimmy 10-14-2009 08:25 PM

Re: Cam seal oil leak, B18B Integra

Originally Posted by senser1080 (Post 40296739)
So I recently replaced my dinky plastic, and leaking cam seal cap, with an eBay metal one with two o-rings. I torqued things down properly and still I leak MORE oil than I did before.

It's leaking onto my transmission, block, in between the last two ports of my exhaust manifold, and, spraying onto my distributor.

Any ideas?

I don't have any experience with the metal cam seals, but my good friend told me to stay away from them. So I did. I always just use oem honda parts/seals. I would try replacing it with OEM.

Also I would go ahead and pull of the dizzy and inspect the o-ring as well.

Spawne32 10-14-2009 08:36 PM

the ebay one might not be machined properly, the blox cam seals are good, or the passwordjdm seals, make sure you lube the seal with oil as well before installing or you could damage the seal, i got lucky with mine cus i forgot to do that but its been fine.

icucnme 10-14-2009 08:39 PM

Yeah I have a blox in my motor and it's holding up just fine. Like 20 bucks on ebay.

DAintegraGSR 10-14-2009 08:48 PM

Did you use a lil HondaBond around those O rings... Iv just always done on my cars, dont know if its a must-do or not.
and is it definetly coming from the cam seal.I have seen in the past a piece of the valve cover gasket not seat properly right before you put it down on the head...maybe a possibility

TehGhett0P1mp 10-14-2009 09:11 PM

Lube the O ring and hondabond around the seal, also check the dizzy o ring. Because I replaced the cam seal and it didnt fix my problem so I checked the dizzy and the seal was so streched out it fell out of position when I took the dizzy off.

senser1080 10-15-2009 03:39 PM

Alright, thanks for the advice guys I'll be checking it out in a few minutes.

EG6Boy702 10-15-2009 04:01 PM

I would replace the head gasket and get a normal cam seal with 2 o rings and it should be fine

westcoastjdm 10-15-2009 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by TehGhett0P1mp (Post 40299075)
Lube the O ring and hondabond around the seal, also check the dizzy o ring. Because I replaced the cam seal and it didnt fix my problem so I checked the dizzy and the seal was so streched out it fell out of position when I took the dizzy off.

Hondabond and the seal is the main part!
You can have $30 cam seal, but if you do not seal it correctly, it is crap!

Golden Eagle is my favorite. Installed them for years, never had a problem

Jimmy 10-15-2009 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by EG6Boy702 (Post 40308205)
I would replace the head gasket.

Elaborate on WHY you would do this.

Spawne32 10-15-2009 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by EG6Boy702 (Post 40308205)
I would replace the head gasket and get a normal cam seal with 2 o rings and it should be fine

http://smiliesftw.com/x/ugh2.gif

hybrid90 10-15-2009 04:36 PM

^^ Maybe he meant the valve cover gasket?

follie gatts 10-15-2009 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by DAintegraGSR (Post 40298820)
Did you use a lil HondaBond around those O rings... Iv just always done on my cars, dont know if its a must-do or not.
and is it definetly coming from the cam seal.I have seen in the past a piece of the valve cover gasket not seat properly right before you put it down on the head...maybe a possibility

no. don't use hondabond on the seal's o-rings. lube the o-rings with motor oil. use honda bond between the aluminum--the cam holder that clamps the seal in place and the head.

DDTECH 10-15-2009 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by follie gatts (Post 40308740)
no. don't use hondabond on the seal's o-rings. lube the o-rings with motor oil. use honda bond between the aluminum--the cam holder that clamps the seal in place and the head.

What the..

No..?

follie gatts 10-15-2009 04:54 PM

any of these metal caps come with instructions that say lube the o-rings with motor oil, not apply gasket sealer.

Spawne32 10-15-2009 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by ALL M0T0R (Post 40308781)
What the..

No..?

what the..

yes?

hondabond is not a substitute for seals, if your replacing the cam seal with new orings you do not use hondabond along with it, it even states this in the manuals on where to use the honda bond

DDTECH 10-15-2009 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Spawne32 (Post 40308861)
what the..

yes?

hondabond is not a substitute for seals, if your replacing the cam seal with new orings you do not use hondabond along with it, it even states this in the manuals on where to use the honda bond

There's a reason, "honda" makes hondabond..

Its ment for these little leaks like this..
When i assemble engines, i use it where i see necessary..
I used hondabond over the dizzy oring, the cam seal o rings. Around the water pump gasket and oil pump gasket. Its amazing, i've yet to have any motors leak. I do this with my own as well, infact, the one i just built 3 weeks thats in my car, doesn't leak from anywhere..

Hondabond is made for those annoying spots.. Alot of people use hondabond on the corners of the valvecover gasket around the hills and corners so that shit doesn't leak..

Using motor oil doesn't STOP leaking..alum expands as it gets hotter.. using hondabond , allows it to make a complete seal all the way around, when hondabond gets hot, it expands a tiny bit and gets hard, providing the seal anything needs.. I used this around the O rings on the waterlog as well.. and we all know how loose that thing is..

Use hondabond.. dont use motor oil.. thats just plain dumb.

DDTECH 10-15-2009 05:06 PM

It's 4 dollars a tube at a local honda dealership, and probably worth every penny, i use that stuff on shit around the house.. its a good sealent and works in all temps.

DDTECH 10-15-2009 05:07 PM

Quote for humor from honda

"HONDABOND is a high-temperature silicone liquid gasket. It's unique formula is non-acidic and won't corrode aluminium like other silicone gasket products will. Best for use in areas not requiring solid gaskets"

cam seal a solid gasket?? No, its not.. :)

Spawne32 10-15-2009 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by ALL M0T0R (Post 40308955)
There's a reason, "honda" makes hondabond..

Its ment for these little leaks like this..
When i assemble engines, i use it where i see necessary..
I used hondabond over the dizzy oring, the cam seal o rings. Around the water pump gasket and oil pump gasket. Its amazing, i've yet to have any motors leak. I do this with my own as well, infact, the one i just built 3 weeks thats in my car, doesn't leak from anywhere..

Hondabond is made for those annoying spots.. Alot of people use hondabond on the corners of the valvecover gasket around the hills and corners so that shit doesn't leak..

Using motor oil doesn't STOP leaking..alum expands as it gets hotter.. using hondabond , allows it to make a complete seal all the way around, when hondabond gets hot, it expands a tiny bit and gets hard, providing the seal anything needs.. I used this around the O rings on the waterlog as well.. and we all know how loose that thing is..

Use hondabond.. dont use motor oil.. thats just plain dumb.

and this is why i cant stand pulling engines apart after people like yourself get a hold of them, and i spend hours picking silicone gasket out of places it shouldnt be. The motor oil doesnt stop leaking, it allows the o ring to seat easier without damaging the oring, its designed to be a perfectly tight seal, and if you force it in without lubrication you can damage the seal on install, you dont damage the seal and then get a tube of honda bond and half ass it like your suggesting.

EG6Boy702 10-15-2009 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy (Post 40308370)
Elaborate on WHY you would do this.

i didnt read anything else but if it were leaking oil onto the transmission and he replaced the cam seal already and its still leaking MAYBE its the head gasket

senser1080 10-15-2009 08:30 PM

Okay well back on track, the cam seal looked fine, and I remember when I did install it I lubed it up, but not as much as I lubed it up now. I'm going tomorrow to the Honda dealership to buy a new VC gasket, not a head gasket, and some hondabong.

I ended up screwing myself over because I overtorqued one of the valve cover studs and snapped off the nut cap and bolt. >:(

So tomorrow's shopping list. New bolt, new nut cap and washer, hondabond, and a VC gasket.

TegRr 10-15-2009 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Spawne32 (Post 40309072)
and this is why i cant stand pulling engines apart after people like yourself get a hold of them, and i spend hours picking silicone gasket out of places it shouldnt be. The motor oil doesnt stop leaking, it allows the o ring to seat easier without damaging the oring, its designed to be a perfectly tight seal, and if you force it in without lubrication you can damage the seal on install, you dont damage the seal and then get a tube of honda bond and half ass it like your suggesting.

LOL! I totally agree with this guy.
Do you see Honda putting hondabond on any seals on the motor? Nooooo. If your using good parts and the surface is good you shouldn't have to use hondabond on brand new seals. Then it's just a bandage. Just a little oil so they don't tear during the install. Yes, you see hondabonds on surfaces that has two mating parts like on the valve cover.

Spawne32 10-15-2009 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by senser1080 (Post 40311394)
Okay well back on track, the cam seal looked fine, and I remember when I did install it I lubed it up, but not as much as I lubed it up now. I'm going tomorrow to the Honda dealership to buy a new VC gasket, not a head gasket, and some hondabong.

I ended up screwing myself over because I overtorqued one of the valve cover studs and snapped off the nut cap and bolt. >:(

So tomorrow's shopping list. New bolt, new nut cap and washer, hondabond, and a VC gasket.

can you pinpoint a location as to where its coming from? if its leaking from the cam cap seal then you will know it, cus it will look like this...

http://i39.tinypic.com/25i4u12.jpg

DDTECH 10-16-2009 06:51 AM

damn, is that a factor seal?

whats that white shit around it..

"hondabond"

put hondabond on it and get this over with, these kids dont know what they are talking about..Hondabond has a purpose and this is one of them.