Wheel and Tire

What are some all-season tires that work well in snow?

Old 09-28-2009, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are some all-season tires that work well in snow?

Hey. Per the title, what A/S tires work well in snow? Most I've read about recently tend to play it safe by saying "spring, summer, fall," and kind of ignoring winter, even though they are rated M+S. I'm well aware winter tires are best for winter, but money doesn't grow on trees where I live, and I don't want to change tires when the temps reach 40-55 F. Anyone whos lived in MI knows we get all four seasons, sometimes in the same day.

I'm not expecting to blaze a trail through a foot of snow, but any stories of A/S tires holding their own before streets got plowed is welcome. I was thinking of Kumho ASX or Falken 512's.

Wheels: 15x7 EM1
Tire size: 195/55-R15
Driving: Street, spirited.
Goal: A/S tires that actually work "good" in snow/slush/ice.

Thanks.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:12 PM
Trial User

Default Re: What are some all-season tires that work well in snow?

I've had good luck with Yokohama H4s
Old 09-29-2009, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's a touchy subject. my biggest bitch about all season tires is how hard so many of them are. some of the performance winter tires that leave a lot of rubber on the ground can be driven year round even though i never would. i talked to a guy today who's ran hankook icebear w300 tires for over a year. there really wasn't that much wear from summer driving which surprised me. they also will beat AS tires stupid in the snow. after going for a ride with him i even decided to grab a set of icebears since they come in 205 50 15 and do not handle half bad in the dry. of course i'm only using them mid oct to the middle of march and have another wheelset with kumho xs's for the rest of the year. it's hard for me to suggest any all season when SO much more performance can be had with snow and summer tires.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:11 AM

The all-season tires with best traction in the snow are the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position and the Continental ContiExtremeContact (or the DWS). Keep in mind, however, that none of these will give you the same type of snow traction as a snow tire. They will be *almost* as good as performance tires in the snow, but not quite as grippy as, say, Blizzaks or Michelin Xi-2.